Montana elk B License

robloft

I drew a general elk tag for Montana this year. I have a friend who may be interested in going but he would like a tag. the only options left are the B tags. I most likely will be in the southern part of region 4 and there is a B tag that covers almost all of region 4. The Montana deer/elk regs say the tag is not valid on National forest lands. Where are you supposed to hunt for cow elk if you cant hunt them on national forest lands? I don't want him to get a tag and then he cant shoot an elk where I'm hunting or not be able to find any on state or BLM land. Does anyone here get a B tag for region 4? If so where have you had success with them? Are there any good block management areas in the southern part of region 4? Thanks

Contact the Region 4 headquarters in Great Falls 406-454-5840 and ask them these questions and find out how to get the needed maps.

Dan

Last year there was some BMA in the eastern part of Region 4, and very little in the west. There's a fair bit of BLM in 412 in the Judith Mountains, but I don't know about access to it or what the elk population is like. The map shows roads, but that doesn't necessarily mean much. They all go across private property to get there, and it seems private landowners can close roads on a whim.

Whiskeydog which mountain range are you referring to?

scubohunter I tried to view the BMA map but it was unavailable. It wont be posted for a few more weeks.

Last edited:
Any lands that are not National Forest. Lots of opportunity out there.
I'm sorry I'm not familiar with Montana hunting opportunities. The area I have been looking at hunting is mostly just national forest. I can't view the BMA map yet so I'm not sure if any of that will be available around where i's like to hunt. I was hoping we could hunt the whole time in the same area or areas close by. I was hoping to avoid having to drive a few areas over to get on a large piece of state or BLM land but if that is what it takes that will be what we do.

Just be careful what unit in region 4 your hunting .
I could be wrong but a general elk tag might only be good for a cow.
(general rifle)

Just be careful what unit in region 4 your hunting .
I could be wrong but a general elk tag might only be good for a cow.
(general rifle)

There are several units that are antlerless elk only on a general tag but from my understanding the units i'm looking at are either sex elk or brow-tined bulls or antlerless elk.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back