Beyond WY

VikingsGuy

We are planning a WY hunt for next fall, but we would like to start building up points in at least one other state. What states have the best odds for a non-resident to pull a draw? Which states have the least expensive license and preference point system? I am looking to pick one other state to start earning preference points for my son and I in addition to WY.

Thanks,
Dan

I can't answer your question, but a little research into Montana, Colorado, and New Mexico might give you the answers you are looking for. Considering your home state, Montana might be your best choice, but don't quote me on that.

I'd probably try to get points in New Mexico. Montana is another option with decent draw odds.

I drew a good unit in Colorado that borders WY with 8 points. I have seen multiple b&c bucks and received permission on 5-6 sections of private land. If you have time to build points Colorado can offer good pronghorn hunting. But who knows how many points it will take in another 5 years or how the populations will survive.

I'd look by population levels. WY is number 1, I think MT is number two. I don't know the rest.

I believe Nebraska has the cheapest deer tags in the west. But I don't believe they have a point system.
Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of public land in that state either, so pressure is an issue in their rifle seasons.
I have seen some great mule deer and whitetail that have come from NE. I think the tags are fairly easy to get also.
It's a state I have thought of trying in the future.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runoutdoors
Back