Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

2018 1st time elk hunt

j_burkWI

I am planning an archery elk hunt in 2018 with 1 sidekick-my nephew who has been to Colorado once on an archery elk hunt. I assume our only option will be general tags. We're considering Colorado and Montana, with Colorado being our likely choice. We are used to black bears hunting in northern Wisconsin, but an archery hunt in grizzly country is pretty intimidating. Our plan is to camp by the truck and do day hunts, possibly doing an overnight out of our packs if we get on something worthwhile. I'd greatly appreciate any input you could provide us on our choice of states or our initial plan! Thanks!

My choice for a general tag in Mt vs an otc tag in Colorado; Montana wins that easily.I've done both hunts.Unit I hunted in Montana didn't have any grizzly

If you buy a point this summer, there's a good chance you could draw a Wyoming general tag in the special draw.

I think a lot of the concern over grizzlies comes from only really hearing stories of encounters and not hearing of all the hunts that happen without any. I understand when it's said that you don't want to overstate bear concern but you don't want to understate it either. Not having experience with them it's hard for me to grasp the situation. I'll have to start really looking into the options in other states and see what else is available with draws on our first application. There's a lot to wrap my head around the first time, but I'm willing to put in the time and effort to make it happen. I appreciate all the help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back