Snow Cave Advice

mdunc8

I wandered down to Yellowstone over the weekend to show a buddy around and do a little camping. One of the best things about camping in the park during the winter is that there are no designated camping sites. For the most part, anything is fair game as long as you can't be seen and you're at least 1/4 mile from a road, which enables you to camp in some sweet spots. I've had the snow cave idea on my to-do list for a while, so we decided to give it a try. I was surprised at how comfortable it was. Aside from waiting for one of the surrounding Buffalo to collapse the whole thing, I probably had the best sleep I've ever gotten in the outdoors. It's amazing how quiet and dark it was. I definitely learned a few things for next time. Higher ceiling so I could actually sit up would be nice (my buddy's side [pictured]was exceptionally low, which he regretted even more than me). Think I'll also take a candle for a little light throughout the night. I'd be interested to hear about and see pictures from others' experiences.

IMG_1793.jpg
IMG_1801.jpg
IMG_1809.jpg

Last edited:
I'd be very careful doing this if you don't know what you are doing. It can be dangerous if you have a cave in and are too deep to dig out. I've dug a few and done some survival training with them, but I still don't trust them. That could just be me.

406LIFE is correct. Snow is surprisingly heavy and it can hold you down, especially if you are prone and under a robe (bison) or under a blanket and can't move your hands. It takes very little to imobilize you and stop your chest from expanding. I thought I had a thin roof once in the Jarbidge Mountains (it is hard to tell how thick your roof is if you are digging into deep snow instead of building an igloo) and had an educational moment.

On the other hand, it takes very little to stop the wind, hold your heat and keep you warm. Thin roof. As thin as you can get it without collapsing. Keep your head towards the center when sleeping.

Last edited:
Done it a few times over the years and 406LIFE is correct. 2 times for real survival. Had one collapse on me climbing out of 2ft of fresh powder.
Much rather be in a tent or lean to and have good gear to stay warm & dry.

I appreciate your warnings, but I'm looking for tricks of the trade to improve the experience. For example, has anyone tried having a small fire in one before heading to bed?

I don't use fire but I did light a candle in a snow cave once and it provided lots of heat. It will dry stuff too.

One trick is to get about a dozen sticks about 10-12 inches long. Poke the sticks into the top of the snow bank vertically so the top end is flush with the snow. When you dig out your cave carve out the inside until you hit the bottom of your stick. Then you've only got that 10-12 inches above you.

One trick is to get about a dozen sticks about 10-12 inches long. Poke the sticks into the top of the snow bank vertically so the top end is flush with the snow. When you dig out your cave carve out the inside until you hit the bottom of your stick. Then you've only got that 10-12 inches above you.

Good eyedeer. Never thought of that. Thanks.

I would still go as thin as I could, especially if the ceiling curves thicker toward the edges. Reading between the lines, I'm still in recovery. :)

I 1st did it with Yosemite Mountaineering School folks in late 60's.
Used to snow camp alot & snowshoe.
Jeez I just remembered the old mountaineering skis & boy scout tent my uncle gave me...that was a lesson @ 12yrs old....lol

Nice snow cave. Like others have said I would go as thin as possible above me. You hunt in the Taylor Fork drainage? I camp along Taylor Fork road for a few weeks each summer and fish the trout streams and hike. Have heard from many folks that there are a lot of grizzlies in the area, but I've yet to see any. We carry bear spray everywhere we go though

It's probably our favorite place to hangout. I was up there last week skiing Wapiti. Shoot me a PM this summer if you'd like to meet up.

Thin roof, vent hole through roof to allow an exchange of air (this is important, you can suffocate) and flags on top to let others know there is a cave there. When you leave, cave it in on purpose so something or someone doesn't fall in later.

Back