Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Leupold Film

thomas89

Leupold uploaded a new video featuring Jason Phelps of Phelps Game Calls shooting a bull at last light 600+ yards away. No recovery, no gutting, no nothing.

Headed back in “at first light” the next morning with, if I recall correctly, a 5 hour hike to the bull. Says he shot the bull at 4:30pm, so if they left at true first light (let’s say 6am) a 5 hour hike puts them first cutting into it at 11…a full 19 hours after the kill.

It was snowing on the hunt, but I still can’t help but think how much of that bull was wasted from body heat alone.

In my opinion, a little gross to post this. Would hate to see this become a new thing. “We’ll go look tomorrow, it’s dark and dangerous to be walking around in the woods here at night.”

Any one else catch this and care to discuss? I know the manbun thread seems popular at the moment, but only so much d*ck measuring a guy can do in the off-season and I’ve rubbed the first few inches off my tape measure as it is.

I guess it depends. If they shot it well then yes I am going to find it at night. Your post doesn't say when dark time is.

Last year a passed on a elk at last light ( about 5:30). It was an ok shot set up but it was across canyon in some thick stuff. I personally have a problem with anytime you shoot an animal if you aren't in a situation to locate. I got back on the heard late the next morning and shot an elk. I have lost 2 elk in my lifetime and never again, at least within things I can do to minimize.

Didn't watch the video, but from what you said, that is totally irresponsible and ethically a very bad decision in my opinion. If you are going to hunt until dark and shoot something at last light, you better be prepared to follow up on the shot and process that animal. This is what gives hunters a bad rap. There is much more at stake here than hanging a big set of antlers on the wall or making videos for Youtube or your IG account.

Well, Leupold also sponsors Hunt Warz or some such nonsense, so maybe not surprising. On the other hand, anecdotally, a buddy of mine shot a bull at last light during archery season some years ago. He thought he hit it well, but we were more afraid of bumping it (in case it was not a good hit) and never recovering it, than losing some meat due to spoilage. This bull was only a mile from the road, so we were back in there within minutes of daylight and found the bull. Overnight temps were in the 40s degF and we found no spoilage. So, it's very possible that during winter (rifle season) hunt, Phelps didn't lose any meat either.

Well, Leupold also sponsors Hunt Warz or some such nonsense, so maybe not surprising. On the other hand, anecdotally, a buddy of mine shot a bull at last light during archery season some years ago. He thought he hit it well, but we were more afraid of bumping it (in case it was not a good hit) and never recovering it, than losing some meat due to spoilage. This bull was only a mile from the road, so we were back in there within minutes of daylight and found the bull. Overnight temps were in the 40s degF and we found no spoilage. So, it's very possible that during winter (rifle season) hunt, Phelps didn't lose any meat either.
and I really wish they'd stop promoting such nonsense

I guess it depends. If they shot it well then yes I am going to find it at night. Your post doesn't say when dark time is.

Last year a passed on a elk at last light ( about 5:30). It was an ok shot set up but it was across canyon in some thick stuff. I personally have a problem with anytime you shoot an animal if you aren't in a situation to locate. I got back on the heard late the next morning and shot an elk. I have lost 2 elk in my lifetime and never again, at least within things I can do to minimize.

In the video he says they shot it at 4:30 and dark was at 6. Even said the first shot was back.

Sounds like you made the decision most of us would.

I don’t know, for whatever reason what happened in that particular video rubbed me the wrong way. From the 10 guys out there spotting for him, to the decisions leading up to and after the shot.

Jason sure has done well for himself at hunting hard to draw areas in eastern Washington and Oregon the past few years. Selling to meateater must be helping pay for a landowner tag or two every year

Edit to add: watched it, it’s basically trash in my opinion. I’d guess lots of bone sour and stink when they finally started working on that elk.

Last edited:
Jason sure has done well for himself at hunting hard to draw areas in eastern Washington and Oregon the past few years. Selling to meateater must be helping pay for a landowner tag or two every year

Edit to add: watched it, it’s basically trash in my opinion. I’d guess lots of bone sour and stink when they finally started working on that elk.

Total trash. Just has to be rotten, I can’t believe after watching that elk die, 20 hours later, gut shot and lying on that hillside, they wouldn’t have lost meat. Sure leaving one to die over night might not result in spoiled meat…but that’s assuming it doesn’t die AT sundown.

Good for him for making a name for himself hunting those west side elk, but kinda sold his soul it seems. It seems to happen to most guys in that industry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back