Lead ammo ban on public lands

Issued yesterday 1/19/17. Add this to clearing out Guantanamo, pardoning traitors, signing Antiquities Act paperwork and the other middle finger acts by Prez Obama. Thank God that chapter is behind us.

Troy Rushton

I think the original poster and some others may be confused about USFWS vs USFS. Not the same thing. Google them if you don't know the difference.

To keep beating a horse that will quickly be put down. I can buy a case of Remington No. 6, 2 3/4 in, 1330 fps, Ounce and quarter Pheasant loads for $74.99 a case or $7.49 a box. Black Cloud on sale from Cabelas for No. 2, 3 in, Ounce and Quarter, 1450 fps for $183.90 a case or $18.39 a box. Now I know in the big scheme of things buying a $5,000 trailer, $10,000 worth of blinds, flags, decoys, etc and a $1,500 Beretta A400 and all the gas scouting that the shotgun shells are cheap just like the license fees. I shot the most roosters ever this year and I am hear to tell that you don't need prairie storm to put birds in the bag and I shot a boat load of ducks and geese and if I had lead I would be happier with the killing power.

Midway is having some great deals on waterfowl loads:

https://www.midwayusa.com/waterfowl-ammunition/br?cid=21241

Did you read the part about expanding hunting opportunities?

Reading is fundamental, buddy. ;)

Demonstrate facts not spin! Hunting was already allowed. No change.

You're gonna miss him. It will be ok. Helena probably has a safe space coffee shop if you need it.

Troy Rushton

Midway is having some great deals on waterfowl loads:

https://www.midwayusa.com/waterfowl-ammunition/br?cid=21241

Yeah those are some "great" deals. I can buy a lot of those cheaper from D&G right here in town.

So to return to the issue. Is lead from hunting with a rifle really that big of an issue on any lands to require a time line to ban it from all USFWS lands?

I can deal with it but it seems like a one size fits every where solution looking for problem.

Timing appears to be a tad suspect as well.

Nemont

Yeah those are some "great" deals. I can buy a lot of those cheaper from D&G right here in town.

So to return to the issue. Is lead from hunting with a rifle really that big of an issue on any lands to require a time line to ban it from all USFWS lands?

I can deal with it but it seems like a one size fits every where solution looking for problem.

Timing appears to be a tad suspect as well.

Nemont

I should buy my shotgun shells in Glasgow then.

There are a growing number of private landowners and state agencies looking at the lead issue. In Montana, the issue manifests itself in the form of lead poisoning of raptors, particularly bald and golden eagles eating the remains of p dog shoots. The science of lead in the food supply of hunters is growing as well. It seems like overreach to me though, but as a hunter, I'm doing what I can to make the switch to non-toxic where it makes sense.

Heck, I'm so diligent about it I refuse to even shoot big game anymore. ;)

You seem angry, Troy. Do you need a hug?

Ben, I'm having a great day. I just don't understand why the crazies are throwing rocks at Starbucks in DC? No free Wi-Fi or afternoon latte's. That would be tragic.

Looks like Prez O did expand hunting on your web link. A couple of the areas added big game hunting. Yeah prez O.

Science and a vast collection of emperical evidence stretching back more than a millennium is showing us that lead leads to a laundry list of deleterious effects on plants, animals and the environment in general (yes, it does occur naturally but our activities have led to substantial increases in concentration of the substance in our air, land and water). We've moved to eliminate this substance from our paints, fuels and industrial processes due to our increasing knowledge of this substance and are slowly moving this way in the hunting and fishing realms.

We know that lead stays in the body for very long periods and can have more pronounced negative effects on the young; this fact has been the impetus for me to move towards non-toxic bullets and shot for all of my quarry moving forward. Yes, the Barnes bullets, Hevi Shot, Bismuth etc. are more expensive but I have had more peace of mind the past few months when feeding my children meals featuring meat from the mountain goat I harvested this fall. I will say that the LRX has shown, in my experience, to be a very accurate bullet and it made a quick ethical pass-through shot on said mountain goat (Every animal taken with my 6.5 creedmoor to this point, including an elk, has been a pass-thru shot). We've learned about the harmful effects of DDT, the need for ear protection when hunting and shooting (I have permanent ear damage due to all of the waterfowling I did as a young lad without ear protection), concussions and so on; I believe the migration from lead shot is just another example of our species making the necessary adjustments after acquiring more knowledge. Perhaps Randy can use an E-tip on an upcoming episode?

Well said. Sometimes it's best to figure out what the right side of history is, and then get on it. Otherwise, everyone has to sit around waiting for you to die, or drag you kicking and screaming into the future, what ever is easiest.

I think the original poster and some others may be confused about USFWS vs USFS. Not the same thing. Google them if you don't know the difference.

So 85,000,000 acres (about half as much as the "USFS" manages) is confusing? I'm guessing you're from CO? There are refuges here that are bigger than all the "USFS" lands in CO combined. And would venture to say there is more land managed by USFWS in Alaska than in CO, WY, ID, MT. UT, and NV combined... so its sort of a big deal.

In Alaska there is about 75,000,000 acres of land managed by the USFWS. There is a ton of hunting done on these lands by everyone, lcoals and NR alike. If you want to hunt caribou, odds are it will be on USFWS lands, and you have about a 50% chance of hunting sheep on those same lands.... I realize this has basically no impact on hunting and fishing... the issue is running policy through with the stroke of a pen. This time is "lead," next time it could just as well be archery hunting, who knows... Actually the last time it was banning certain types of predator hunting on lands managed by USFWS in Alaska. So ya know, no big deal.

One federal agency tends to follow another with policy...

The great thing about a free country is no one forces you to use lead. If you don't think it is healthy, then don't use it.

I have hunted upland birds, mostly pheasant on federal lands where steel is required. The rate of crippled birds goes way up. I never thought it was even a debate that steel is less lethal.

I went to non lead & copper years ago,yeah after it was required.
Shot lots of birds with steel & deer & elk with copper.
Guess what? The sky did not fall!
Just ducks,geese & pheasants and plenty of deer & elk.
When I praised how well Barnes Bullets shot out of my rifle,I was called a commie libtard...lol

I can't wait for all the new names after yesterday.Just cuz I don't love the Don.....too bad so sad.

Like so many other things the fear of lead is way overblown. We probably don't want it used as a food additive or makeup any longer, but the idea that minimal amounts results in intellectual impairment is ridiculous.

The lawsuit craze on the east coast over kids eating paint chips is a pretty interesting read. That is a very real thing. Your kids being exposed to you after angling as a danger? Nonsense.

Back