New Mexico Bear Hunt for 2017

aahrens_83

Hello

Looking for any info on bear hunting in New Mexico. What unit/zone is a good area to hunt? With public land. I am a non-resident and would do a OTC tag in the fall. I've heard the north part and west part of the state are good. I've only ever hunted bear by bait in northern US. I would like to try spot n stalk on this hunt. Definitely dont want to do a dog use hunt. Any info helps. Thanks yall.

I imagine cibola national forest is a good place to start in northwest nm. Wish I had more info

May partner on a ML elk hunt shot a huge black bear in the Cibola unit 10. We climbed up a hill and the top had some rock areas and the bear walked right in front of him. Skull was over 20" and it weighed a ton to pack out.

I personally have seen very few & smaller bears in NM. Did hear of a 300lb bear this year in Gila & one up north.
I saw big bears all the time in CA,OR,WA,MT & in BC.

Only big bears I have seen were the Ruidoso city limits,

I have heard, not seen, a lot of bears in the Vermejo!

Only big bears I have seen were the Ruidoso city limits,

I have heard, not seen, a lot of bears in the Vermejo!

LOL! True. I called in a large bear one time on the back side of Sierra Blanca. I blew it and did not get him. That forest/wilderness area above Ruidoso has a lot of bears, as do all of the Sacramentos. There are several dog hunters on part of it, though.

Forgot about Ruidoso/Sac.Mtns.
Had a big guy visit while I was working on a house one day. We scared the shoot out of each other...lol.

Hank, was not suggesting you hunt unit 36. All the bear are in the city limits as well as some very nice bucks. In the city.

Several years age, 20 maybe. my daughter walked out of a condo and says "Daddy come see the Bear" Big Momma. I rushed my ass of to get between her and bear. Went well , but with a 6 to 10 year old. your are never sure!

Last edited:
No worries BD.
I hunted big bears enough in CA. Might get a tag around here sometime as I see them,just smaller guys. 100-200lbs
Could be good eating,but more likely stew meat.

I have never trusted Blackbears. Big or small and never turn my back on one.

Last edited:
Sounds like the quality of Bear isn't as numerous but I am under the assumption that the New Mexico bear population is doing well since the state offers OTC tags on top of draws. I was in the Carson this fall Elk hunting in December and found trees that had been clawed in the past. But bear were already in hibernation by then. My thought was trying the Gila and use it also as a elk scouting trip.

Remember,this is MY opinion. I don't see as many or as large as what I have seen elsewhere. I know many bear hunters here in Gila area. Same with lions,but huge lions.
I might get a lion tag to carry around just in case,but that is a just in case $42 and two tags deal.

Ive been think g about chasing bear in eastern AZ myself. Seem like a good time to find elk/deer areas and maybe bag a cool bear in the process. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. PM me if anything.

PS I did see a couple of bears during my elk hunt this year. Didn't have a bear tag ��

Remember,this is MY opinion. I don't see as many or as large as what I have seen elsewhere. I know many bear hunters here in Gila area. Same with lions,but huge lions.
I might get a lion tag to carry around just in case,but that is a just in case $42 and two tags deal.

x2. Most of the bears I see are smaller in size.
These are all northern NM.

Nice Pics. I don't need a trophy on every hunt. I'd be pleased with some meat and a nice pelt. Carson Nat'l Forest is another area I'm thinking.

Great photos. I've never hunted New Mexico black bears but l suspect that August is " berry season" in New Mexico judging from the time and date of each photo taken. I rarely see bears during morning hours, around noon or early afternoon except when they're feeding on berries at this time of year. Interesting photos.

Here are a few more. I've got some really good ones on one of my photobuckets, but I can't remember which one lol
I've seen a few out early season Elk hunting, but I either didn't have a shot or they were with cubs.

I'm amazed by your time, date, and temperature stamps. I would have never thought that bears would be moving around midday unless spooked by something. I'm glad to see pics of them coming to a water hole during light. My two strategies are to either tree stand hunt over a water hole or post up high over looking a open meadow and calling.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back