Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

I interrupt turkey business to report that the season opener for teal in Kansas stunk. The wetlands at Cheyenne Bottoms this year had the lowest bird count that I can remember, with a significant portion of the birds being a ticket-in-waiting for shooting other species of ducks out of season. There was one group of redheads just begging to get shot, skimming the decoys, circling around, hovering over the spinning wing decoy just asking to go to duck heaven. Fortunately, good identification skills were exhibited so as to avoid problems when were were cordially checked at the boat ramp.

Fall turkey season starts October 1, with the majority of Kansas once again limited to one fall bird (zone 4 is closed to fall hunting). Most folks that I know only get a fall tag so that if an opportunity arises to get a Thanksgiving bird, they can legally do so, instead of intentionally targeting turkeys. I will see what I can do about a fall gobbler falling to my bow (thanks again, Mrs kansasdad for the sweet gift!!)
    No one can go back and make a brand new start, however anyone can start from now and make a new ending.

"Ease is a greater threat to progress than hardship" Denzel Washington

I took my crossbow for a little reconnoiter of a nearby public wildlife area, hoping that the break in the weather pattern would get the deer up and moving, and allow for me to scout for the October 1st fall turkey opener. My hopes of moving deer were met in the form of a young forkie running into the road in a suicide-by-Avalon attempt, which I thwarted with Andretti-like driving skills.

In the dark, I settled into my hiding spot, and turned on my ninja mode. The heavy overcast made the changing of dark to dawn to light extend for an unusual length of time. Spitting rain, with lightening off in the distance with low rumbles of thunder made me pull out my rain jacket. Strangely absent from the morning was the normal awakening sounds of a Kansas river bottom. Very few birds were calling, especially turkeys, and this made me wonder if there were any turkeys hanging out in this section of public land.

Just as I was lulled into a near nap state, a very loud throbbing noise moved in rapidly from my right. I ninja'd my head up to see a hummingbird hovering next to my quivered crossbow bolt. He gently moved closer and I could just barely feel his beak touch the bright yellow nock, as I suppose he thought the yellow nock, jet black shaft and orange/white vanes might have a tasty nectar treat. I felt quite honored that he paid me a visit.

After I was done for the morning, I was walking towards the fence and the road, when I heard the panic "putt!!!" of a turkey, Moments later saw a young of the year bird take flight. A loud commotion started as other brothers and sisters started putting and trying to determine from where the danger was coming. Had it been fall season already, I can imagine a scenario where my superior turkey ninja skills could have been deployed to maneuver into a position for a shot on these tasty birds. These young turkeys acted much in the same fashion of other non-wary young of the year animals act. They knew something was up, but they were not too spooked at finally seeing a fully camouflaged man in the woods.

See you this October kids! Keep believing that your ability to fly away will keep you safe. I count on it.
    No one can go back and make a brand new start, however anyone can start from now and make a new ending.

"Ease is a greater threat to progress than hardship" Denzel Washington

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213