Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Savage Bear Hunter

Dana

Im looking at picking up a new Savage 16 Bear Hunter in 300 WSM. Have any of you had a chance to shoot this yet? Thanks for any input and opinions!

Havent shot the Bear Hunter series, but I hunt with a model 16 Savage 300 wsm everyfall and its been dead on accurate right out of the box. Looks like the only difference is that the Bear Hunter comes with a muzzle break and I had to pay somebody to put mine on. You'll love the accutrigger, no more long pulls just a clean crisp break.

Looks like a good rifle and I've heard/read that the Savage's shoot well. That said, I wouldn't buy one because of the break. Way too loud for me and I don't want to hunt with ear plugs. Plus, I wouldn't think one would be needed on a 300 WSM.

Savage makes similar rifles that have a lower list price and are lighter without a break. I would be looking at one of those if I was in the market for one.

Savage has done some very good things while ramping up marketing..... sure like the looks of their ultra lightweight. They are emerging from the pricepoint rifle market.

I'd be interested in the ultra lightweight if it had a good synthetic stock on it. One of those in 260 Rem would be great to get the boys started on.

I like that rifle, but maybe someone who knows could tell me. Is this muzzle brake that you can "turn on-turn off" kind of a hokie deal? I hate brakes, too loud! Then I read where this can be turned off.

I don't think its hokie, but if you don't line brakes, I would think it would be easier to buy a rifle without one. Just a guess, but I bet point of impact would change by turning the brake on/off, which would make it hard to use it for practice and then turn it off for hunting.

Heck, I thought every resident of MT got one of those Kimber Montana's as gift for living there? ;) IMO, it's about as sensible as a package as made, I just need to decide what I want one chambered in.

Well after a couple months of searching, I finally found a dealer who could get this gun. I absolutely love it! Picked it up Thursday, got a new scope mounted on it yesterday and sighted in. Shot it in an indoor tube from a bench on a sled. At 100 yards it was hard to differentiate the hole from 3 shots! One tack driving son of a gun! Fall cannot get here soon enough to shoot at a live target.

Dana, what's your opinion of the muzzle brake, noise, felt recoil, etc.? I've been looking at the same rifle, just never had a brake on a hunting rifle.

fishing4sanity, as you would expect, when the brake is in the "on" position, it is much louder, but there is hardly any recoil. The gun also has a really nice pad which helps as well.

Dana, I don't mean to keep bugging you with questions, but have you noticed much change in point of impact with the brake on vs. off? Thanks, Randy.

No problem. There is no impact on accuracy performance. I also asked the same question to every gunsmith and professional shooter I know, and every one of them said that it would have NO effect on accuracy.

No problem. There is no impact on accuracy performance. I also asked the same question to every gunsmith and professional shooter I know, and every one of them said that it would have NO effect on accuracy.

I think he is asking if you have to re-zero your gun when you change the brake from on to off or vice versa.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runoutdoors
Back