Zinke (R) vs Juneau (D) (Montana)

Zinke says he opposes the selling of public lands, but he wants them to be transferred to the state. This has been explained time and time again as a round about way of selling public lands because the states cannot keep them.

It was very specific in the Stewardship - the land would stay federal, our land would stay ours. Not a fraction of it can be sold.
This is the way I see it... Extreme right, protect the rocks and pebbles from displacement and extreme left Give to states to sell it all to Wilks and friends.. (Exaggeration on both accounts though it shares the common theme)
Then there is a reasonable compromise that specifically states the land stays ours and outlines the specifics to aid our states. Outside of flatlanders, Lincoln county, as an example has BOMBED employment wise due to the crap toads who crush our legal system with frivolous crap. Our forests in Region 1 are sooooo slammed tight, it is hard pressed to sling an arrow more than 15 yards without hammering a tree. Renewable resource shamed! Loss of employment MASSIVE! We have damn logs routed from Canada because we can not find some means to thin our forest while respecting REASONABLE environmental needs.

I believe it is vital to the future of our land that wee have Quality Republicans who openly buck the GOP platform position. Empower those who support - those are the ones who can plant the seeds for our children's future. We keep "toeing the line" so to say down partisan lines.... I believe we will cause more harm to our future generations.

It boils down to deciding if you are more concerned about the support for gun ownership background checks or for support of the national party plank for transferring federal public lands.

For many it's not an easy decision, primarily due to the inflamed rhetoric about "losing" 2nd Amendment rights. Personally, having undergone background checks for security clearances in the military, then for a school mentor clearance card as a volunteer in my granddaughter's school, I am proud to have anyone review my background and the related references to my character. I would be similarly proud to undergo a background check that would substantiate my good citizenship and potential for being a responsible gun owner.

The ambiguous proposal for increased background checks is not even really on the table presently. However, the "transfer" proposal / plank is clearly worded. Consider which "big picture" proposal would really adversely effect "sportsman and their families", especially with respect to using firearms to hunt and for families to otherwise recreate on federal public lands.

Whichever is your worse fear, please weigh the consequences and do vote.

Gun control is about expanded background checks in the same manner as public lands 'transfer' is about better management - It isn't.

Whichever is your worse fear, please weigh the consequences and do vote.

As someone previously submitted, we do have a strong 2nd Amendment. Do we have as strong assurances that Congress won't transfer or states won't sell our federal public lands?
Listen, ask questions, read, research, study ... and decide for yourself.

Is the public lands topic the number one thing that willare up your mind on a candidate? It seems so far fetched to me, that one would choose a Democrat over a Republican based solely on that issue, which to me seems like it would be easily defeated if a real attempt was made. Contrast that to much larger and real issues that the Democrat party has actually advanced that are directly hurting sportsman and their families. Maybe I'm a bigger picture kind of person when it comes to politics?

When it comes to my public lands yes this is my primary topic that will make up my mind, its that important to me. There is a bigger picture indeed and that is for our public lands to be ultimately privatized in the hands of foreign countries and major oil/development corporations. Do you really want China and the Koch brothers to own American lands? Wake up the FEDS are not coming for your guns.

For the guys who don't like Zinke, you better figure out how to get your message through to him. He has an almost insurmountable lead and will win going away it appears.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...cle_c92d9caa-2f25-5c87-9206-5f1f18b369cf.html

Nemont

I'd thake that poll with a grain of salt. It's the same polling firm that had Tester & Bullock as a loss. I think she's down, but not out. It's much closer than that poll shows, IMO.

The one I'd be most worried about is Laslovich v Rosendale for Auditor. Rosendale would be bad on all sportsmen's issues at the Land Board based on his record at the Legislature and his support of transfer.

For the guys who don't like Zinke, you better figure out how to get your message through to him. He has an almost insurmountable lead and will win going away it appears.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...cle_c92d9caa-2f25-5c87-9206-5f1f18b369cf.html

Nemont
I don't know what their problem is, but Mason Dixon was so far off in the Tester-Rehberg race I still remember it. http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2012-montana-senate-rehberg-vs-tester

IIRC, that poll tipped the scales preventing the Libertarian from participating in the debate.

Juneau has a hell of a story and, unlike Zinke, isn't brown-nosing the leadership to move to a higher position. I have no doubt Zinke would dump on Montana if it would advance him.

https://ballotpedia.org/Verbatim_fa...cate_on_selling_or_transferring_public_lands?
“Congressman Zinke sits in Washington, D.C. taking votes to chip away at the land we cherish, threatening access to our land,” Juneau said in a press release. “While Congressman Zinke equivocates on our public lands, I’m 100 percent opposed to the sale or transfer of America’s public lands, I always have been and always will be.”[2]

Has Zinke “equivocated” about selling or transferring public lands to states, as Juneau claims? Does the bill that Zinke voted for allow the sale or ownership transfer of federal lands or threaten public access to federal lands? No.
Nothing in this Act shall be construed to limit or restrict —
(1) access to National Forest System land included in a community forest demonstration area for hunting, fishing, and other related purposes; or

(2) valid and existing rights regarding such National Forest System land, including rights of any federally recognized Indian tribe.

Juneau, our Montana Superintendent of Public Instruction. I hope this is not the type of leadership "quality" she leaves when her term concludes.

https://ballotpedia.org/Verbatim_fa...cate_on_selling_or_transferring_public_lands?

Juneau, our Montana Superintendent of Public Instruction. I hope this is not the type of leadership "quality" she leaves when her term concludes.

It's important to remember that the bill in question, Rep Labrador's "transfer lite" is opposed by every major sporting group and is often described as a camel's nose under the tent for transfer. Zinke's record isn't all roses when it comes to public lands. He's voted to defund the BLM (goodbye land management), voted to gut Theodore Roosevelt's signature bill - the Antiquities Act and he's even tried to insert himself at the ground level when it comes to changing use on allotments because he's pandering to eastern MT voters on bison.

Zinke's also been bad on budgets for land management and he's voted the wrong way on transfer a couple of times, saying that they were just procedural votes and not really that important.

With that, and his residence in question, 6% of his funding coming from MT voters and his desire to be constantly on the 24 news shows, I think the criticisms of his overt ambition being detrimental to MT as well as his whitewashing his actual public lands record make him a difficult person to vote for. But that's just me. :)

Sytes - I finally had someone in BHA explain this to me. The path is indirect. If the states take management over federal lands eventually they can claim sort of a "prescriptive easement" stating that the Feds have given up their right to claim ownership of the land. While the bill might not provide for that eventuality, it doesn't matter because it is provided elsewhere. Some states are set up to take advantage of this more than others.

I don't know what their problem is, but Mason Dixon was so far off in the Tester-Rehberg race I still remember it. http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2012-montana-senate-rehberg-vs-tester

IIRC, that poll tipped the scales preventing the Libertarian from participating in the debate.

Juneau has a hell of a story and, unlike Zinke, isn't brown-nosing the leadership to move to a higher position. I have no doubt Zinke would dump on Montana if it would advance him.

Zinke's life story isn't compelling either? Interesting idea of what makes one compelling. Can you name how many other Montanans have made it through SEAL training and went on to serve with distinction and honor?

On the Brown nosing front the only difference between Juneau and Zinke is that Juneau has not had much of a chance to brown nose the upper crust of the Democrats in DC. She will have to wait until her run in 2018 and see if she gets her brown nosing opportunity. In 2016 she is going to lose given that independents are not buying what she is selling. I have no doubt that the partisans on the left are all in for her but given the Montana Electorate is pretty much even keeled she is toast for this election cycle. Remember you heard it here first.

As for the Laslovich vs Rosendale race I stand by my prediction that Laslovich will win and be the next Commission of Securities and Insurance.

Last edited:
LOL nemont. Had I see this I would have noted that you need some help with reading comprehension on the first two, and I would have came back two days later to note that Rosendale was polling ahead by 10 points. Three whiffs there buddy. I hope you are doing your part to educate people about what the auditor's responsibilities are and how bad a fit Rosendale is for that role and the land board.

Zinke's brown-nosing is epic. When it comes to a choice between Montanans and his advancement you better hope you aren't close to a bus.

LOL nemont. Had I see this I would have noted that you need some help with reading comprehension on the first two, and I would have came back two days later to note that Rosendale was polling ahead by 10 points. Three whiffs there buddy. I hope you are doing your part to educate people about what the auditor's responsibilities are and how bad a fit Rosendale is for that role and the land board.

Zinke's brown-nosing is epic. When it comes to a choice between Montanans and his advancement you better hope you aren't close to a bus.

I have been doing all I can to keep Rosendale out of office. He is a horrible candidate. I don't think I agree with the polling as many people I have talked to in the industry and in the public.

What exactly have I whiffed. It ain't done until Tuesday.

Nemont

I know a lot of active and former military folks who are fed up w/ Zinke's self-aggrandizement and self-promotion.

Regardless, the Zinke/Juneau race will more than likely be within 5 points and I'm praying with all my might that the MTGOP has no sway over the land board given their anti-access & anti-public land bent. Just cast my vote today, right behind a militia member who was proudly flying the III% flag on his camo coat.

The sad part is that many Montanan's won't vote for Juneau simply because she's a woman and/or she's a Native American and/or she's gay, regardless of her policy stances.

The sad part is that many Montanan's won't vote for Juneau simply because she's a woman and/or she's a Native American and/or she's gay, regardless of her policy stances.

True.
Replace "won't" with "will" and still true.

Although some of her attacks on Zinke have been misleading or false, I think she has done a fairly good job of actually running on her record and accomplishment instead of her genitalia and skin pigment/ genetic makeup.

I have been disappointed by the nonsense from both candidates, but the tipping point for me was Zinke's ad on facebook accusing Juneau of endangering student lives by hiring bus drivers with criminal records. I teach in Montana, and the only thing she had to do with my hiring was a background check before I was issued a teaching certificate. It was the local district that hired me, and they also ran a background check. How low of an opinion does Zinke have of the intelligence of his voters?

I have been disappointed by the nonsense from both candidates, but the tipping point for me was Zinke's ad on facebook accusing Juneau of endangering student lives by hiring bus drivers with criminal records. I teach in Montana, and the only thing she had to do with my hiring was a background check before I was issued a teaching certificate. It was the local district that hired me, and they also ran a background check. How low of an opinion does Zinke have of the intelligence of his voters?

I agree, a couple of Zinke's ads hit rock bottom. The one endangering students lives sunk him to where he is looking up at rock bottom.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fred Powell Sr
Back