Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What to expect in Cody next week?

TD

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, guys! My brother and I drew a cow/calf tag this year for Unit 58. We are driving up this Saturday and will be staying in Cody during the week. Trying to get some information on what to expect so we can plan accordingly. This will be our first elk hunt, and first winter time hunt in Wyoming, period.

We are planning on hunting Carter Mountain HMA. Are the roads drivable with 4 wheel drive and all terrain tires (Especially considering the forecast is calling for snow on Friday)? Will we need snow chains? Will we need to hike miles from the parking area and pack elk out? Or will we possibly be able to locate animals from the roads? Any other information we should know so we can come prepared?

Basically, we're going in a bit blind here, and any and all information would be much appreciated. We don't expect a success necessarily, but we'd like to increase our chances as much as possible and make the most of this trip.

Thanks in advance!

I didn't want to bug Randy about my little hunt, and figured you guys as a whole would have enough valuable info to give us a decent chance of success.

I will make plans to check out the museum while we're there. Thanks for the tip!

Tire chains and two shovels. I carry what almost looks like a long handled clam digging shovel. Long narrow blade is great for getting under differential and tranny. Regular shovel for moving snow. Sometimes there just isn’t that much snow on the crown between the ruts and a regular shovel just wont get in those tight spots.
If your rig is newer, like my F150 you’ll have to run “ city girl” tire chains on the front. Get real tire chains for the back.
The museum is worth the price of admission.
Enjoy your trip, there hasn’t been a lot of weather yet in Wyoming or Montana yet, a good storm could really stir things up.

Is there somewhere local/semi-local we would be able to get chains? My truck is in the shop still waiting on a new engine so we still aren't 100% sure which vehicle we will be taking.

Is there somewhere local/semi-local we would be able to get chains? My truck is in the shop still waiting on a new engine so we still aren't 100% sure which vehicle we will be taking.
Should be able to get chains local in Cody no problem.

Plan a full day in the museum if you get a chance. We spent 4 hours one afternoon and we only went through the gun wing and then got herded out by staff. What a maze, could get lost in there.

Sorry, can't help with the elk hunt, haven't been in that unit, but I do know that it is known as a migration hunt, so the more adverse weather the better. Good luck and have fun.

You do have your HMA permit in hand don't you? Looks like that HMA covers the majority of the unit.

Wear lots of layers, warm layers. Guarantee it will be cold and the wind will blow!

Plan on hiking away from the road. That area is pretty open and even getting away from the road far enough to be able to look into an area not visible from the road may yield elk. Doesn't really looks like lots of drivable roads, but walkable roads. Kind of looks like central parking areas, may be wrong there though. If there is snow on the ground, may think about a plastic sled that can be drug behind to haul out your elk. Haven't ever used something like that but have seen it work quite well.

Do you both have tags? How long are you planning on hunting? If you both have tags, don't necessarily think that they both have to be filled, may be too much stress for a first elk hunt. Elk are big critters and provide lots of meat.

Last edited:
You do have your HMA permit in hand don't you? Looks like that HMA covers the majority of the unit.

Wear lots of layers, warm layers. Guarantee it will be cold and the wind will blow!
Yep, we have our HMA permission slip and will get the vehicle pass whenever we figure out what truck we are going to be able to use. May have to buy some better layers on the way up.

Walmart in Cody has chains. Also, bears are still active and plentiful. You probably will get a bear on your carcass so I would make sure you have a plan to get an elk out in 1 trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: TD
Check the weather. Not sur where you are driving from but the snow coming may hamper travel in certain parts of the state, road closures. Maybe look into the W-TAP travel program and get oked for travel on some closed roads.

Good luck, it may be pretty cold. Sierra Trading Post has a store in Cody for cold weather gear if needed, I think it's still there.

Walmart in Cody has chains. Also, bears are still active and plentiful. You probably will get a bear on your carcass so I would make sure you have a plan to get an elk out in 1 trip.
That's one of the things we're trying to figure out, as well. How to get it out if we get one.

Check the weather. Not sur where you are driving from but the snow coming may hamper travel in certain parts of the state, road closures. Maybe look into the W-TAP travel program and get oked for travel on some closed roads.

Good luck, it may be pretty cold. Sierra Trading Post has a store in Cody for cold weather gear if needed, I think it's still there.
We're keeping an eye on the weather to see what happens. Thanks for the lead on Sierra Trading Post. We will definitely have to upgrade our cold weather gear.

That's one of the things we're trying to figure out, as well. How to get it out if we get one.
Sled, ponies, or 4 people. If not available and you have to make several trips, hang meat high in tree a couple hundred yards from carcass/gut pile. Be able to approach both with plenty of visibility.

Sled was our thought as well.

Please keep the tips coming. Really appreciate it!

Plan on hiking away from the road. That area is pretty open and even getting away from the road far enough to be able to look into an area not visible from the road may yield elk. Doesn't really looks like lots of drivable roads, but walkable roads. Kind of looks like central parking areas, may be wrong there though. If there is snow on the ground, may think about a plastic sled that can be drug behind to haul out your elk. Haven't ever used something like that but have seen it work quite well.

Do you both have tags? How long are you planning on hunting? If you both have tags, don't necessarily think that they both have to be filled, may be too much stress for a first elk hunt. Elk are big critters and provide lots of meat.

From what I can tell, there seems to be designated parking areas that you have to hike in from. We plan on picking up a sled on our (20 hour) drive up.

We both have tags, yes. I guess we will see how we feel if/when we get our first cow down. I'm super excited to get out there and just see how it goes.

I hunted off the hma back when you could draw as a 2nd choice, never saw a track and cold as heck. Friend went a cpl years later, parked at a designated hma spot and all the ranch friends drove past while the public schmucks hiked up the hill.
Hopefully that's changed.258360_3545213160730_463288553_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back