Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Skinning Knife Suggestions?

I've got an old Gerber that I use for gutting. I've got the Outdoor Edge with the replaceable blades I'm looking forward to trying out this year. I use my havalon for skinning and work outside of the animal.

If there is any chance you will be going moose hunting the very best knife you can purchase for skinning moose is a utility knife with the replaceable blades. I will butcher 4-8 bull moose a year and I can skin a moose with one blade, discard and put in a new blade for the next one. Cobalt makes a very good folding model for under $20. You will need/want a different knife for the boning and caping.
Interesting idea.

I carry a Havalon and a Victorinox 6-in boning knife. I have to agree...having that Havalon blade break inside and then you having to have your hands in there can make a nasty situation. I say keep the Havalon for outside stuff to be safe. It's so light there is no reason not to at least have it for backup in case you need it.

I'm with Miller and Gerald, I'd take a sharp fixed blade over a havalon any day. The problem is my fixed blades are never sharp and I've always got extra havalon blades around, so I end up using the havalon the majority of the time. And the majority if the time I break the blade in the cavity of the animal somewhere. I do think it is a good idea to have a havalon with extra blades in your pack all the time.

I liked he looks of the outdoor edge with the replaceable blades that theat was using this spring. If I didn't already have a havalon I'd snag one of those.

Randy and I broke the blade off of mine somewhere in the pelvis of my bear this spring. It gets a little spooky finishing the job afterwords. I also saw Theat's outdoor edge in action, and I was pretty impressed.

I think the Havalon still has its place, but it is not my do all anymore. I also carry a Cabelas/Buck Vangard with the S30v steel, and it holds an edge really well.

I just picked up a Havalon recently. Those things are super light weight. Hopefully I can try it out a few times this Fall--- will still carry my fixed blade knife as backup just to make sure I can get the job done... but if it works then I can get some wasted weight outa the pack.

Getting to use scalpel blades regularly, their use is second nature for me. You have to let the sharpness of the steel do the work for you, as pressing harder does not equal more cutting power. Breaking a blade may indicate excessive pressure was applied. The cutting power of a Havalon type knife comes more from a slicing motion rather than a pressing down motion. If you find yourself having to press down more firmly, that should be your sign it's time for a new blade.

Separation of joints follows the same slicing motion. Even if you have a sharp heavy knife, if you don't have the blade at the appropriate spot in the correct orientation it will be a real trial to get the ligaments severed and the bones separated.

Havalon. There's nothing a properly-handled scalpel blade can't do - just need to understand anatomy and the "buttons" you need to push to pop joints, etc. Even taking the skull loose for a European mount is no match. I couldn't recommend one enough.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back