Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

What type of hunting knife?

elkfanatic

What type of knife do you like for Backcountry hunting? I'm a knife maker and hunter and always experimenting with new steels and designs. Started with high carbon steel and moved up into premium steels for edge retention as I don't enjoy sharpening my knife midway through an elk on a 45° slope with a storm rolling in. My last steel I tested skinned and quartered two cow elk without sharpening and still shaved (cpm10v). Trying CPM S90V this year. Is there a better steel choice? What do you like? Steel? Blade length? Blade shape? Handle?

Attachments

• IMG_20230606_210125501.jpg
    IMG_20230606_210125501.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20230606_210117697.jpg
    IMG_20230606_210117697.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 63
Geez, I've used all the replaceable blade knifes. My favorite and go to every year for elk is the Outdoor Edge what is now called the RazorPro. For deer and small scull caping work I still like either Havalon or Gerber using the 60A blades. Fixed blades are a waste of money, time, and weight.

I tried the havalon on my first two elk trips. After three broken blades helping my buddies with four bulls I decided the extra weight of a fixed blade was worth it. Third hunt used a sog field pup, made it thru the first elk but barely. Decided to try my hand at knifemaking and it's been a very deep rabbit hole from there. I'm obsessed with edge retention and performance and always looking to improve.

Outdoor edge kodi skinner. If there was a custom knife made just like it I would buy it. Stainless is preferred for me and sharpening while skinning is no big deal. Gives me a break anyway. Gut hook is money too.

I've used 420, 440, O1, ATS34 and S30v. I'm not picky but my go to is a fixed blade with a clip point in ATS34. Blade length is a little over 4", brass and diamond wood handle. I don't think I've ever had to sharpen a knife during a hunt, including the softer steels.

Fixed blade is the best for me.Used and own almost everything.
Havalon and the likes ,have their uses.
Not for caping,jmo.
I have seeing guys try it and felt sorry for the taxidermist.
A fixed blade with a hook is a must,for caping fixed ,no hook and shorter blade.
No Rambo knives please.

Thanks for the replies, it's interesting to see what you guys like in a knife, for me anyways. We've all got different preferences in equipment. Keep em coming!

I generally carry 2 knives - if not 3.
I will carry a folder that is on me at all times. If I have a Frame Pack with a belt my fixed blade lives in my Kill Kit.
The third is more recent but I will carry a Havalon I got as a 'reward' or perk maybe with a Jacket Purchase. It is so light I figured might as well bring it.
Couple of these knives are no longer with me or now set aside for my kids. But the most used is the Large Guarded Sheep Horn on the Right and then the dark Micarta handle below it and then the Leather Wrapped Hunter 2 below. But I have used all but the slipjoints, Dagger and Large Scagel (Top Right) on game.
I guess I should use the dagger at least once!
1702582904995.png

That S90V is good stuff. Sure like it on benchmade knives. The knife on the right is a good looking knife as well. I like 3.5-4" blade or so.

I prefer a fixed blade and a folding knife like a Buck 110. I carry both in my hunting pack. My fixed blade is a Ruana 5AD which has a 4" blade or my Ruana Steelhead which is a 3 1/2" blade. I find personally that a 3-4" blade is plenty of blade length. I don't mind the weight of a fixed and folding knife either. I do not care for the replaceable blade knives. Ruana makes a great knife. I have two and each of my son's has one as well.

1702585561761.png

What type of knife do you like for Backcountry hunting? I'm a knife maker and hunter and always experimenting with new steels and designs. Started with high carbon steel and moved up into premium steels for edge retention as I don't enjoy sharpening my knife midway through an elk on a 45° slope with a storm rolling in. My last steel I tested skinned and quartered two cow elk without sharpening and still shaved (cpm10v). Trying CPM S90V this year. Is there a better steel choice? What do you like? Steel? Blade length? Blade shape? Handle?
I prefer a fixed blade and a folding knife like a Buck 110. I carry both in my hunting pack. My fixed blade is a Ruana 5AD which has a 4" blade or my Ruana Steelhead which is a 3 1/2" blade. I find personally that a 3-4" blade is plenty of blade length. I don't mind the weight of a fixed and folding knife either. I do not care for the replaceable blade knives. Ruana makes a great knife. I have two and each of my son's has one as well.

View attachment 306206
I carry a Ruana 21A that was made in the 80’s. Bought it from a collector in 2011 and killed my best bull a week later.

View attachment 306206
I bought a Ruana modeled like the 20B but with a 6 inch blade. Bought it while in Jr. High at Snider Drug in Great Falls. Years later I bought my Dad a 20B for Christmas from the same store. If I remember correctly, they cost less than $40.00 each. Mine has a lot of use while Dad's in near new condition because I usually did the gutting lol. Each scabbard has a small sharpening stone in a separate pocket.

Skinned a quartered my first bull in 1967 with the old Schrade in 1967. It’s worked on critters large and small from the Yukon to Mexico to South Africa. It has been used on every hunt.
The Gerber was a gift in 1974, seen a lot of duty as well.
Knives of Alaska, Elk Hunter was a gift from a client. Really like the knife. Killed elk 8 years in a row with that knife in my pack. IT’ll always go.
I’ve several Benchmade folders, always one in my pocket.
I’ve no idea what kind of steel is in either knife. The Scrade is fairly soft and the “elk hunter‘ can work a couple of muddy elk without a hiccup.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
I have had a ton of different knives over the years and am currently using a Cutco serrated and a Cudaway Big Sky. Both have been spectacular! I broke the tip on the Cutco trying to pry an ivory out. Sent it in and they replaced it. No questions asked.
The Cudaway is new for me so the jury is still out.IMG_0055.pngIMG_0056.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back