Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Skinning Knife Suggestions?

ZR1

Looking for recommendations for a solid fixed blade skinning knife...What would you guys suggest? Also, how well do the Havalon knives work?

I bought a fixed blade made out of S30V steel 5 years ago, four elk and a bear later and it's still sharp. Not sure how it sharpens and not sure if I'll attempt it myself or send it in.

No experience with the Havalon but a few I know like theirs.

I'll never go into the field without my Havalon. That knife redefines sharp.

Havalon for me.
BTW, if anyone is interested in a 100 pack of 60XT blades for $30 shipped PM me. clearing some out.

Has anyone tried Kestrel Knives? They make skinning and standard hunting titanium knife with a tungsten carbide edge that are supposed to hold a micro serrated edge for a long time and be crazy light for backpack hunts. I'm having a hard time talking myself into trying one for $120+ when I can get a havalon for 1/2 the price or pay the weight price and use one of the knives I already have, but it's intriguing.

Victorinox paring knives. They are cheap, lightweight, sharp, and easy to keep sharp. I started using these after seeing a bunch of taxi's using them. Can whip out an entire elk without having to touch the blade. I like nice blades, but these little guys are money.

I've decided that knives are like firearms,they all have their place. Havalons are great for the backcountry. Victorinox are fine for around the house,and a fine carbon steel,leather sheath custom fits the bill when I'm in public.

It depends on what you are skinning. I love the Havalon for small stuff, but the durability of the blade does not lend it to heavier tasks. I guess the new blades are better, though. I re-sharpen my Havalon, so do not replace the blade unless it breaks.

I have several real good fixed-blade knives that work well for big stuff (Buck, Puma, Cody Wescott custom, etc., etc.). If I was going to go with a replaceable blade for that job, I would go with the Outdoor Edge version, as it is heavier.

Don't flame me Pat, but I like the heft of a full tang knife,,,prettier the better. But, hey, Havalons make great gifts.:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back