Rabbits for a Cause

And just like that things turned. Our teammate hollered and almost as quickly started shooting. I looked but couldn’t see the rabbit. The bunny was moving down the fence line fast. We took off after him. I finally caught a glimpse of the tail but didn’t have a shot. Our teammate shot again but missed and the rabbit went again, so we followed. The rabbit made the mistake of stopping again and this time he caught him in the neck. Rodeo over. We were all smiles. My son thought it was super exciting. And we weren’t going to get skunked on the rabbits.

We regrouped and proceeded up the fence line. We covered about 100 yards from where we jumped the first rabbit. To my left was a particularly rabbity looking clump of grass and brush - about the size of a beach ball. My son and I were each about 5 yards from this clump so I sent my son in to give it a couple of kicks. Well, one was all it took and that bunny came flying out. This time the rabbit headed up the fence line. Our teammate shot and missed. The rabbit took a few more jumps and stopped in some brush. I found him in the scope and shot. It connected but he took off. I charged ahead and found an opening and finished it.

We walked out the rest of the fence line and didn’t find any more bunnies. We started back the way we came checking out some scattered cover. Our teammate kicked an old fence rail and a rabbit came darting out. He shot and connected, but the gun jammed. By that time I was in decent position. Fortunately, the rabbit stopped and I was able to clean things up. We had three now and decided that was good enough.

We took some pictures and headed off to registration.
IMG_3011.jpeg

So, all in all it was a great day. I combined two very meaningful activities - hunting and charity. I know that stories and pictures of our hunt brightened the day of several people fighting MS. The money donated will hopefully help get us just that tiny little bit closer to more treatments and a better quality of life for those suffering.

Highlights for me included the great shot my son made, pulling a couple rabbits out of the hat in the fourth quarter, and my son telling everyone about how surprising and cool it was when he kicked that rabbit out. He knows I had a good idea it would be in that clump but doesn’t yet understand how I kinda knew. It was one of those moments where he realized he has a lot to learn and I’m happy to teach him - he just has to listen.

Was great to follow along. We too have family members fighting MS and I appreciate what all of you are doing to help!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back