Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

NW CO to SE NM Barbary Sheep

Much congrats! Definitely a great accomplishment! Sounds about like the first time I ever went Barbary hunting in NM. Spent 4 days and countless miles before finally seeing my first sheep. Unfortunately it was a Ewe with a small lamb so I passed. They can be hard to find. Probably my favorite animal to hunt. Congrats again!
Travis

Much congrats! Definitely a great accomplishment! Sounds about like the first time I ever went Barbary hunting in NM. Spent 4 days and countless miles before finally seeing my first sheep. Unfortunately it was a Ewe with a small lamb so I passed. They can be hard to find. Probably my favorite animal to hunt. Congrats again!
Travis
This exact scenario happened to me hunting them OTC a few years ago. Spotted a single sheep from 2 miles away and when I was within 1/2 mile I relocated her and saw the lamb. Took some pictures and moved on.

Screenshot_20240216-162832.png

Interesting hunt. Looks like it could be soul-sucking if it didn't go well. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Taste report:
So I cooked up half a backstrap tonight for the family and I. After everything I had heard about Barbary sheep at the table, I had pretty low expectations. I was worried even a backstrap was gonna be tough. The wife and I were both blown away at how good it was. The backstrap was right on par with the tenderness of a whitetail backstrap. It was significantly more tender than the backstrap off a rutted up mule deer I killed here in NW CO in 2021.

I wasn’t sure what I was gonna do with all the meat from this animal before tonight. If this backstrap was as toothy as I feared, I was gonna grind all 4 quarters. The plan now is to cut steaks out of the rear hams and grind the front quarters. Should be good eats for the rest of the spring and summer.008D4067-82D5-44EA-A254-2F03BA628986.jpeg17317F27-ED00-4526-AD04-703197A016B7.jpeg

@TheGreek…for your consideration:

Congratulations!

Taste report:
So I cooked up half a backstrap tonight for the family and I. After everything I had heard about Barbary sheep at the table, I had pretty low expectations. I was worried even a backstrap was gonna be tough. The wife and I were both blown away at how good it was. The backstrap was right on par with the tenderness of a whitetail backstrap. It was significantly more tender than the backstrap off a rutted up mule deer I killed here in NW CO in 2021.

I wasn’t sure what I was gonna do with all the meat from this animal before tonight. If this backstrap was as toothy as I feared, I was gonna grind all 4 quarters. The plan now is to cut steaks out of the rear hams and grind the front quarters. Should be good eats for the rest of the spring and summer.View attachment 316866View attachment 316868 Imo, there is nothing better than a Ewe Barbary! Rams are good too, just chewy. Anyone that says otherwise

Taste report:

I wasn’t sure what I was gonna do with all the meat from this animal before tonight. If this backstrap was as toothy as I feared, I was gonna grind all 4 quarters. The plan now is to cut steaks out of the rear hams and grind the front quarters. Should be good eats for the rest of the spring and summer.View attachment 316866View attachment 316868
Nothing better than a Barbary Ewe IMO. Rams taste great too, just chewy. Anyone that says they aren't good, aren't taking care of them correctly.

I’ve been told, by a guy that would know, that ewe’s and very young rams, are great eating, but that any ram remotely close to half decent would taste good, but be tougher than a boot. I said “what about burger?” And he said “if you like burgers that are hard to chew” I want to eat one some day. Congrats!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back