Quarter Bags...

Been using the alaska game bags inside a kifaru qtr. bag on the pack out to keep the pack cleaner. But I don't try to keep and reuse the alaska bags. Are you both reusing yours? If so how do you clean them?

Been using the alaska game bags inside a kifaru qtr. bag on the pack out to keep the pack cleaner. But I don't try to keep and reuse the alaska bags. Are you both reusing yours? If so how do you clean them?

Either soak them in cold water and wash them by hand with detergent or throw them in the washing machine on cold gentle cycle.

I use the Alaska game bags as well, and yep, just what Lawnboy said. I soak them in a 5gal bucket of cold water and a little launrdy detergent for a couple days then wring them out and throw them in the wash machine on cold cycle, hang them to dry. I've had mine for about 5 years now I think with a couple animals packed each year and I think I've only had to replace one bag.

The Caribou is a synthetic bag huh? Interesting. Well, I use the alaska game bags too. That is the only game bag that is allowed at elk camp. Priced right, sized right. Usually good for 2 seasons of elk, and deer.

I made my own years ago out of muslin and they still serve me today. You can make them oversized, put your own type of drawstring, etc.
my 2 cents,
WD

Are the Alaska Game Bags you're talking about the 'cheese cloth' roll up bags?

How do you keep the blow flys off your meat with those? I've used them once, and have friends that have used them... their meat ends up full of flies and gets dirty easily. Basically defeats the reason to have a game bag. I don't know about you guys, but I put my meat in a bag because I plan on lugging it around and handling it numberous times.

I've been using TAG bags for a the last few years and they seem to work really well. The new style is much stronger than the old style. The meat stays very clean, and no flies.

Alaska are a "better" cheese cloth if there is such a thing. I bought a set, opened one bag and decided not to use them.

I bought a set from Schnee's and have used them several time. They work great. I only put one in my pack for the days hunt as that is all that I can carry back out.

We always carry 4 bags per man on our Archery & Rifle Elk Hunts! We use Allen Game Bags, Outfitter Grade ones, they roll up small & are lightweight & most importantly extremely tough! Under 15.00 for 4

ElkNut1

I took the cheap(er) route... pillow cases from thrift stores... 5 count (1/qtr and 1 for straps and fixins). When done, pitch'em and replace.

Caribou for me. Two years, eight Antelope, one Elk, tossed in the washer and they come out white. Another pass with a touch of white vinegar and they're fresh as a spring day. I'm a believer.
I used Allen Outfitters for decades and loved them till I vacuum sealed both and weighed them. As with anything, there is no best. Use what you like and go hunt.

I have used the same elk game bags for years. 1/4 Canvas outfitter type I got thru RMEF.
One deer bag I have is 25 yrs old.
I do have some light ones for pack outs,but meat winds up in the canvas ones in camp.
Soak in water & wash in cold with Peroxide & soap. Come out looking like new.

For years we used laundry bags from the uniform company at work. We just took them back to him dirty, no problem. I also use canvas bags and then soak overnight in cold water and bleach and then wash in cold water, white as ever, but heavy. I just ordered a set of Caribou bags for my Wyoming hunt, I'm sure they will be used for years.

Back