Yeti GOBOX Collection

Pickup of the Future?

A owner of a Ford dealership brought one to our company party last night the owner of my company and I took it for a drive. 70K dollars was what the sticker said. It was impressively quick and quiet. It can tow up to 10,000 lbs. The engine compartment is a trunk and he had his golf clubs in there with tons of extra room. Everything else looked like a regular F150 except the lack of a vented grill. Would I have one? No! The local dealer spent 200K to update their electrical service to accommodate charging stations. If you want one at your house you have to have a 600amp service and that is just for the charging capability. When you break down along the road Cooters towing service can't hook you to the garage. They have to be out there for years before I would even consider one.

If you want one at your house you have to have a 600amp service and that is just for the charging capability.
That’s not accurate. I have 125 amp service at my place and ran a 240v 60 amp circuit off that to my garage that will charge at 48 amps continuous. That’s roughly 11 kW. It’s more than sufficient for overnight charging. You can charge pretty much any EV with nothing more than a dryer plug (NEMA 14-50 outlet) which is a 50 amp circuit that allows continuous charging at 42 amps. Takes a little longer, but still adequate for overnight charging. You can also charge on a normal 120v 15 amp circuit, but that will not get you a full charge overnight.

600 amp service would only be required for DC fast charging, which is not recommended for every day charging and almost no one would put in a residential setting.

The TN Valley is in a heat wave that is putting a strain on the grid right now. We are in power curtailment, with roving brownouts warned. What would occur if we were even halfway to the full electric vehicle goal right now? We need to make sure that we don’t outpace the infrastructure and power base, which will take billions of dollars and years to upgrade

That’s not accurate. I have 125 amp service at my place and ran a 240v 60 amp circuit off that to my garage that will charge at 48 amps continuous. That’s roughly 11 kW. It’s more than sufficient for overnight charging. You can charge pretty much any EV with nothing more than a dryer plug (NEMA 14-50 outlet) which is a 50 amp circuit that allows continuous charging at 42 amps. Takes a little longer, but still adequate for overnight charging. You can also charge on a normal 120v 15 amp circuit, but that will not get you a full charge overnight.

600 amp service would only be required for DC fast charging, which is not recommended for every day charging and almost no one would put in a residential setting.
That is good to know. I will pass that along. Thank you!

The TN Valley is in a heat wave that is putting a strain on the grid right now. We are in power curtailment, with roving brownouts warned. What would occur if we were even halfway to the full electric vehicle goal right now? We need to make sure that we don’t outpace the infrastructure and power base, which will take billions of dollars and years to upgrade
It’s pretty much a given that electricity consumption will continue to increase, whether that be from EV’s, Bitcoin miners or other consumptive devices. It’s also a given that the only thing that will compel industry to upgrade the grid is increasing demand straining the system. Unfortunately, the days of proactive infrastructure development are behind us. Only through crisis do we seem to move forward. I’m fully confident the capacity will catch up to the demand through pure economics and possibly some gov’t encouragement and investment. Catch up being the key phrase.

Early adopters problems?

WY is currently a fast charger black hole, as are eastern Montana and the Dakotas. The good news is there’s lots of stations under construction that should be coming online soon as you can see by the wrench icons in the map below. Even more are being planned, but not yet started and thus not on the map.

It’s ~200 miles from Casper to Cheyenne, and that’s a stretch for a Leaf, but not for some of the newer models coming out such as the Rivian and Ford Lightening which have 300 miles or more of range. One thing to keep in mind though is that the WY wind can have a pretty significant impact on range. Driving into a strong headwind on I-80 can reduce range by 30% if you’re driving at the posted speed of 80mph. That stretch from Evanston to Rawlins is ~240 miles, and I would be reluctant to attempt that on a windy day in my Rivian which gets about 300 miles under normal conditions. There’s plans for fast chargers in Rock Springs (in addition to some L2 chargers already there) that will hopefully come on line in the next year or so.

To give some comparison, on a DCFC fast charger I can 200 miles of range in 30 minutes. On an L2 charger it’s about 20 miles in an hour. So unless you’re doing overnight stays, L2 charging is not feasible for road trips.

6B6F23EC-11DB-411C-9A43-B0272AB1A9D0.jpeg

Last edited:
A owner of a Ford dealership brought one to our company party last night the owner of my company and I took it for a drive. 70K dollars was what the sticker said. It was impressively quick and quiet. It can tow up to 10,000 lbs. The engine compartment is a trunk and he had his golf clubs in there with tons of extra room. Everything else looked like a regular F150 except the lack of a vented grill. Would I have one? No! The local dealer spent 200K to update their electrical service to accommodate charging stations. If you want one at your house you have to have a 600amp service and that is just for the charging capability. When you break down along the road Cooters towing service can't hook you to the garage. They have to be out there for years before I would even consider one.
I imagine this looks a lot like the early criticisms for internal combustion engines...you know when gas stations weren't on every corner. A time when there was a valid argument to using a horse which didn't require new tires, oil changes, gasoline, etc.

Advancement of technology takes time...But in the grand scheme of things, it still moves incredibly fast.
1665758018537.png

Beat me to it.
I took my truck in for the recall last week. Just drove in without an appointment. Dude came out with a torque wrench and torqued the control arm bolts to the new spec (130 ft-lbs) and sent me on my way. Was in and out in less then 10 minutes. I also had the option of having them come to my house to do it, but decided to just run by the service center since I was in the area.

I don’t really see this as any different than any other recall I’ve had on other ICE vehicles I’ve owned. But wow, did the stock get hammered on the news though! 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
I took my truck in for the recall last week. Just drove in without an appointment. Dude came out with a torque wrench and torqued the control arm bolts to the new spec (130 ft-lbs) and sent me on my way. Was in and out in less then 10 minutes. I also had the option of having them come to my house to do it, but decided to just run by the service center since I was in the area.
How dare you make this not a big dramatic deal? 😆

At 37k miles, my wife’s Tesla saw it’s first maintenance over the weekend. I installed new windshield wipers.

For commuting, they’re so far ahead of gas cars it’s laughable.

For 4x4 hunting vehicles, EVs have so far to go to improve to be practicable it’s equally laughable.

I was wondering what the fix looking like. Where did you take it?

At 37k miles, my wife’s Tesla saw it’s first maintenance over the weekend. I installed new windshield wipers.

For commuting, they’re so far ahead of gas cars it’s laughable.

For 4x4 hunting vehicles, EVs have so far to go to improve to be practicable it’s equally laughable.
It must be a very easy commute. EVs are great in a perfect situation. Most of the US does not live in a perfect situation. Most of the US population can't afford a $70,000.00 commuter.
Windshield wipers on an internal combustion vehicle would have lasted longer.

It must be a very easy commute. EVs are great in a perfect situation. Most of the US does not live in a perfect situation. Most of the US population can't afford a $70,000.00 commuter.
Windshield wipers on an internal combustion vehicle would have lasted longer.
Around 80% of the country lives and works in urban areas. That's literally the perfect situation for EVs. There's also around a dozen or more options for EV vehicles under 50k.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back