Permethrin?

The first time I used permethrin was my first trip to Africa, that continent has a plethora of ticks! Now I use it here as well, great stuff. As @Elkmagnet pointed out you can use the concentrate for very low cost, I've also used the Sawyer's brand for the convenience.

My dad lives back in Georgia, and he treats his clothing with permanon for all things outdoors in his swamp property. Seems to cut down on the need for bug spray.

You can buy it cheep in concentrated form at most places that sell farm/ livestock supplies. A quart of concentrate has lasted me years and I'm only half through it.
Do you find that the farm store concentrate leaves an odor on your clothes?

I've diluted Martin's 10% and Gordon's 13.3% down to 0.5% for spraying/soaking clothing, and the clothes smell like diesel fuel afterward. The odor isn't overpowering, but it's noticeable. For my farm clothes I don't really care...they often end up smelling like fuel/grease anyway. For my hunting clothes I stick with Sawyers, which is more expensive but odorless. Both versions (DIY mix and ready-to-use Sawyers) have done a great job of repelling ticks in my experience. I've seen ticks start crawling up my pant leg then fall off halfway to my knee.

Last edited:

I've diluted Martin's 10% and Gordon's 13.3% down to 0.5% for spraying/soaking clothing, and the clothes smell like diesel fuel afterward. The odor isn't overpowering, but it's noticeable. For my farm clothes I don't really care...they often end up smelling like fuel/grease anyway. For my hunting clothes I stick with Sawyers, which is more expensive but odorless. Both versions (DIY mix and ready-to-use Sawyers) have done a great job of repelling ticks in my experience. I've seen ticks start crawling up my pant leg then fall off halfway to my knee.
I've never noticed any odor after it dries. Maybe it's just those brands?

It does smell while it's drying, more of a chemical odor to me

I've never noticed any odor after it dries. Maybe it's just those brands?

It does smell while it's drying, more of a chemical odor to me
Perhaps. All the concentrated forms of permethrin I've found say "contains petroleum distillates" on the label, which I assume is the source of the odor. If anyone has recommendations on a particular brand of concentrate that doesn't leave a smell behind, I'm all ears. I'll keep using it regardless...the odor is a small price to pay to keep ticks away.
5541867~2.jpg

Perhaps. All the concentrated forms of permethrin I've found say "contains petroleum distillates" on the label, which I assume is the source of the odor. If anyone has recommendations on a particular brand of concentrate that doesn't leave a smell behind, I'm all ears. I'll keep using it regardless...the odor is a small price to pay to keep ticks away.
View attachment 288906

That one is without any petroleum I believe

I didn't phrase my previous question well. The directions for permethrin state to spray your clothes (while not wearing them) and let them dry. Your skin should not be in direct contact with permethrin according to the directions and CDC guidelines. So if you sweat or get rained on while wearing clothes soaked in the stuff your skin will be in contact with permethrin, right? So its basically impossible to keep the stuff off your skin. I guess I don't understand the "don't get it on your skin while spraying your clothes" and then you wear the clothes that will most likely get wet (sweat or rain) which would cause the insecticide to soak thru to your skin.

Get the Hi Yield 38 brand on amazon. It is the more water based version without as much or the stink as the petro base and it dilutes much easier. It has a little smell still but mixes way easier. Takes a little more math to get the rate if dillution than the easy 20:1 that the 10% has but it is much better for watering down. Keep it inside in the winter as I found it clumps up after it freezes... The end product you want is .5%

I’m a big fan of permethrin infused clothing. They are good for 70 washes and you don’t have to mess around spraying the clothes frequently. There are a number of brands that sell them now.

Used it a ton when I lived in TX and sometimes in CO. Works great.

Once it dries getting it wet is not the same as spraying it directly on you.

Ticks are not a problem up here in Alaska.
Mosquitoes and in some area black flies (locally called whitesox).
For mosquitoes, I like the Thermacell base camp while duck hunting to keep mosquitoes to a minimum.
One for me, one for the labrador retriever.

I didn't phrase my previous question well. The directions for permethrin state to spray your clothes (while not wearing them) and let them dry. Your skin should not be in direct contact with permethrin according to the directions and CDC guidelines. So if you sweat or get rained on while wearing clothes soaked in the stuff your skin will be in contact with permethrin, right? So its basically impossible to keep the stuff off your skin. I guess I don't understand the "don't get it on your skin while spraying your clothes" and then you wear the clothes that will most likely get wet (sweat or rain) which would cause the insecticide to soak thru to your skin.
MY guess is that the medium that the actual chemical is carried in evaporates bonding it to the fabric (thus the ability to withstand multiple washings). I don't think it just runs off of the clothes onto your skin, but it's not like I have done any research to confirm that. As a hunter who lives in KY and who also has Alpha Gal (the red meat allergy from a tick bite) I will say that I won't step into the woods without permethrin, it does the job.

Anyone else using this stuff on your clothing and gear for hunting season? The flies and mosquitoes have been crazy last couple years, so I invested in a thermacell for in camp but ordered some of this for my clothing and gear. I also planned to use Off spray on my exposed skin (neck/face). I also have scent blocker, but was curious if anyone has noticed a decrease in bug activity after using Permethrin. It'll be my first time using it, and the reviews seem to be good.
I use denim shirts and pants, leather hat and Karate chops...snake boots too...hot!!

I haven't noticed a difference between the two but I will be paying attention now

The stuff is broken down by our human enzymes on our skin - that is why we put it on clothes. We render it useless if not on clothing. Dogs, livestock, they don't ruin it with their natural funk like we do. Once the stuff dries on your clothes, it is there and won't run off with just rainwater - it makes it through washing a number of times.

Note - it is often used to kill pests, not just as a repellent, and is hell on bees. It also will kill fish quite effectively - keep away from any body of water or where there would be runoff to a body of water or stream.

David
NM

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back