Yeti GOBOX Collection

A Once in a Lifetime AZ Desert Bighorn Sheep Experience

So awesome congratulations and a great ram! Did he end up scoring what you thought he would. Thanks for sharing this with us. I dream of hunting the kofas but know it’s highly unlikely I ever will be able to! If your guide post a video of your hunt on YouTube please share it with us.

So awesome congratulations and a great ram! Did he end up scoring what you thought he would. Thanks for sharing this with us. I dream of hunting the kofas but know it’s highly unlikely I ever will be able to! If your guide post a video of your hunt on YouTube please share it with us.
Sent you a PM.

Congratulations on taking a dandy desert ram.
That's something 99% of all hunters will never get to experience.
In my mind there's no need to apologize or explain why you chose to go guided. I'd love to know more about "your partner".
Thanks for sharing your perfect sheep hunt.
Sent you a PM.

We knew he was in the 150's, prior to the shot. He just barely topped that when scored by AZ G&F: 150.375. Am just stoked to have the experience, and not get hung up on the score.

We both felt it was the reason the ewe took off running like a BOH, pulling the ram with her. Earlier in the hunt we had watched several ewes from under 50 yards who just stood there looking at us. They seemd more curious than anything else. After watching several videos of the process involved to collar a sheep, I can just imagine it scares the hell out of them, setting a pretty good avoidance routine in motion.

Last edited:
We both felt it was the reason the ewe took off running like a BOH, pulling the ram with her. Earlier in the hunt we had watched several ewes from under 50 yards who just stood there looking at us. They seemd more curious than anything else. After watching several vidoes of the process involved to collar a sheep, I can just imagine it scares the hell out of them, setting a pretty good avoidance routine in motion.
Gotcha! My son shot a collared ram and he didn't seem at all bothered by our presence.

We knew he was in the 150's, prior to the shot. He just barely topped that when scored by AZ G&F: 150.375. Am just stoked to have the experience, and not get hung up on the score.
Oh for sure ! He is awesome congratulations again

Part Three: Lessons Learned.

As I mentioned at the beginning, my intention for putting this story together was to document the process. Putting down the complexities of a “Hunt of a Lifetime”. I made every effort to get the most out of this experience that I could. Beginning with the physical conditioning to the time taken after the hunt to “stew” on the experience. To fully take it in, to not miss anything, or have it be over to soon.

It has taken me a full year to accomplish this goal, and I believe I have done it. The first few months I felt like I was in a daze when it came to this subject. My life went on normally, just like it had after 50 previous hunting seasons. Unlike previous seasons I found myself dwelling on the adventure on a daily basis. Reliving the adventure, like a good glass of wine, savoring each sip.

My take away from this can be summed up in one word: Gratitude. I am so very grateful for the experience. Grateful for my wife and her support for my hunting passions. To the guide who helped make this possible. To have my Grandson there to experience this adventure. For my Dad who first stoked the fires for these adventures. To my Creator & Lord for providing the “desires of my heart”, and the ability to participate.

Things Done Right:

Arizona Game & Fish requires successful sheep hunters to bring their trophies into a regional office to have the officially aged and scored. Curly was aged at 8.5 years old, officially a Class IV ram. He measured out at 150.375”. My main goal for this hunt was realized in those simple numbers. It was truly a successful hunt of a lifetime.

There were several things that were done “right” that helped make this sheep hunt a success. The first of these was my commitment to getting into shape physically to complete this hunt. I staid the course with my physical conditioning, not backing off, or missing days during the 5 months leading up to the hunt. Starting out with a trainer, kept me from setting my progress back by creating an injury.

Continuing with this train of thought “staying the course” applied to not only physical conditioning; but many other aspects of this experience. Not giving up, or settling for second best when faced with a challenge also applies to the ammo shortages experienced in preparation. The amount of time it took to locate, procure, and assemble the reloading components needed to get a round developed with Sub-MOA accuracy.

Associating myself with the “right” people to assist with and enhance the expertise of the hunt was definitely in the top 3 items that made this hunt a success. This started out by doing my homework for several years prior to actually drawing the tag. Listening to podcasts, and researching guides also played a large role in my successful hunt. This association includes a local NPO. In my case it was the Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society. Their Hunter’s Clinic helped pull many different items together, making sense of the hunt as a whole entity. My exposure to the work of Clay Goldman, and his Mogollon Taxidermy brought the taxidermy mount to the next level with his work with the stone, and other materials. I had given Clay pictures of the rock formations found in the Kofa’s. He did an excellent job recreating those elements.

Curly at home.
IMG_2233 B.jpg

As mentioned earlier I did an equipment update/upgrade a couple of years prior to this hunt. I was wearing a pair of Kenetrek insulated Mountain Extreme boots. They performed flawlessly for me. I have come to rely on these boots to provide support, and comfort during my colder weather outings.

The ADBSS held their 2022 Hunter’s Recognition Banquet on the last Saturday in September 2023. It was a fund-raising dinner, where the successful hunters were given the opportunity to tell the audience about their sheep hunt. A plaque was presented to each Hunter recognizing their accomplishment. It was a unique experience for myself, one that I had never done. Not that I’m an accomplished public speaker, quite the opposite, I hate it. I had an idea of an outline regarding what I was going to say. My wife caught it on video. I didn‘t realize that the microphone wasn’t picking up my voice, and I needed to speak up, nonetheless I found the words to express what this adventure means to me. My gratitude for the opportunity. For those who participated, and without their assist they experience wouldn’t have been possible. Those that had the foresight, to found and support the mission of the ADBSS over the decades past.

For the Sheep themselves, who had beaten the odds, escaping the path to extinction. I learned their story from this process. Their story back to sustainability. Following settlement there were approximately 800 Desert Bighorn Sheep remaining in Arizona. Through decades of conservation work through groups like ADBSS, and the Arizona Game & Fish we now have a population of over 8,000 of these magnificent animals.

To be Continued...

Last edited:
Part Three Continued: Lessons Learned.

Being prepared for the shot opportunity is the final lesson learned. In all the amount of range time spent in building a load, sighting in a new scope, and the practice out on the desert floor at long ranges gave me a level of confidence I’ve not experienced before. Don’t get me wrong, I consider myself an accomplished hunter not only with a rifle, but also a bow. What I am describing is next level. Next level effort, and next level muscle memory. I would estimate putting 200 to 250 rounds down range in the 3 months prior to my sheep hunt. This includes both my primary and backup rifles. It gave me the confidence to not get rattled when it mattered the most.

What Could Have Gone Better:

Hiking Boots:
Bought a new pair of boots for Johnathon prior to that fall’s hunting season. He had plenty of time to break them in beforehand. They were name brand boots (That will remain unmentioned for these purposes) that I spent a fair amount of money on. We looked at these boots after this hunt. The rocks in the Kofa’s had worn the treads almost completely down. They obviously weren’t the right application for this hunt. Fortunately, he wasn’t injured, maintaining safe travels for the remainder of the hunt.

Being out of shape:
Even with my efforts to stay into hunting shape during the COVID timeframe, I couldn’t have anticipated the amount of muscle atrophy that naturally occurs to the human body in the 6th decade of life. Found this out the hard way once I began the process to get some of my conditioning back. I have addressed this aspect missing in my life by continuing to work out 3x per week in the year following the hunt. It does qualify for one of the top 5 things that could have gone better, whether I realized the particulars or not beforehand.

Procrastination: Reloading shortages.
It became quite a challenge to find powder, primers, brass, and bullets during the timeframe following COVID. I was on the suppliers websites daily, checking inventory following the tag draw. Fortunately, I was able to locate what was needed to build a non-lead round at FPS that I was targeting. I decided on a 140 grain Barnes TSX BT mono bullet in .270 caliber that provided groupings out to 500 yards that I was pleased to have. Once I inherited Dad’s rifle, I knew that I wanted to build a load, and place a new scope on it. Why I waited until after I drew the tag, I have no idea. This took valuable time that could have been better spent going into the hunt preparation with a rifle hunt ready.

Lack of Focus: The Kofa’s themselves.
Looking back on this whole adventure, what was accomplished, is a trait that I developed during my career. It served me well as a Facility Manager, preventing me from repeating the same mistakes made earlier. It is a proactive process that I enjoy, and utilize in my hunts.
Not spending time in the field, in the hunt unit, was a mistake. Not practicing with the trekking poles ahead of time, would have given Johnathon a leg up on opening morning. Not being involved in getting my rifle ready to go prior to the hunt would have given me the time to spend in the Kofa’s. I see that as something that would have made the hunt go better.

Final Thoughts:
It is my hope that these experiences have provided food for thought to those who are planning a once in a lifetime hunt. This type of dialog was missing during the research phase going into this hunt. It is my hope that someone can utilize my experiences to their benefit.

I have said this before, and I’ll say it again: “I am so truly grateful to have this experience.” To get the opportunity to chase these truly magnificent creatures through the country they were created to inhabit. Now is my turn to give back.

Thanks for joining me in this adventure…

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the details of your adventure and congratulations on a great ram.

Congrats on a great ram and a memorable hunt! I enjoyed reading through your write up. Having had my own desert sheep hunt experience this year I can identify with a lot of what you wrote. And you should absolutely not feel the need to justify hiring a guide for this hunt. I was lucky that my sheep hunt was close to home and I was able to scout quite a few times during the summer. Otherwise I probably would have done the same. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

Congrats! I apply Kofa as one of my choices knowing prob never happen with my mere 20 nonres points and counting.

Watched the video, pretty easy to find on YouTube searching “Kofa Ram 2022” for those interested.

Not sure why the reluctance to credit guide fully and post the video link, it is extremely well done with great photography that ADDS to the story showing the candidate rams. He really shows the spotted sheep during hunt well and the final outcome. Sounds like was a great choice to go guided. I had my first DIY archery sheep tag in 2005 and hunted 20 days in a rough unit seeing few rams, which made a low success odds hunt a lot tougher.

Again congrats and thanks for sharing. Gorgeous ram.

What optics did you take on the hunt? you mentioned needed something different. Worst thing I ever did in my hunt career, so far, was waiting till a few years ago to buy top end binos.

Hard to imagine a 16 yr old athlete doing anything other than running circles around grand dad on the hunt. Head scratcher. Hopefully he was inspired to keep at it for the future and his own hunts.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back