Packing with Llamas

Diaz

So I drew this deer tag in my home state of Utah. The unit has a ton of wilderness (no motorized vehicles). This unit allows for hunting with an over the counter "any bull" tag. Since the elk season begins the first weekend of October and the Deer starts up the third week...I'm thinking this will be my elk spot and allow me to scout for deer during the elk hunt.

This area is in the high Unitas and prone to deep snow anytime after Sept. That said, packing out an elk way back in, through the snow on my pack...multiple times is beginning to question my sanity.

I seem to recall seeing / hearing of guys renting Llamas and using them to pack in camps and pack out their elk and such.

Any of you guys have experience with Llamas?

They are like horses in that you want good experienced animals. Good side is they can go a lot of places and they don't take a lot of water and will eat about anything. They can be spooky and stubborn and they really don't carry a whole lot of weight.

For elk you will want a minimum of three and would be better to have four.

Picture605.jpg

I picked up 8 llamas in 2008. By 2010 I had 12. I think they were easier to take care of than horses, but could be just as tempermental. I sold them because the place where I kept them sold and I couldn't find a new place on short notice. I'm still kicking myself in the @$$! If you get a chance to use them, they can be fun. But I'd recommend a trial run prior to your hunt, if you're able, to get used to them.

Below is a pic of me leading my favorite one, Tana, out of the corral.

Attachments

• DSCN0378.jpg
    DSCN0378.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 538
That looks awesome! I found a place my way that rents/leases them. I was thinking that very thing...couple trips before the hunt to make sure I understand them, etc.

I was thinking about two or three but now that I am researching the amount they can normally carry (1/3 of body weight) 60-90 lbs, I'm thinking four is about right.

I don't know how much you have used pack animals but throw in a scale and weigh your panniers to balance the weight as close as possible. Having balanced loads on llamas makes for happier llamas.

Does anyone have any experience comparing goats to llamas? I think I read somewhere that someone liked goats better for some reason or another... I also have a guide friend whose 70 lb dog carries 50 lbs for him.

Back