Good guns done dirt cheap

Bullshot

I have noticed a bit of a trend, or what I think is a recent trend while window shopping used guns. I think we are experiencing a very strong generational rollover in tastes that is creating space for some deals where normally none were to be had in the recent past. Specifically I am talking about high fit/finish quality Remingtons (not the latest production over the last 10-15 years ). But you have to be OK with “boring” calibers like 30-06 and 7mm mag with .270 landing in third. (Chamberings like .260, 7mm-08 buck the trend and prices have in fact risen). There is no excuse for people who say they can’t find a quality affordable rifle. Seems most people nowadays want only sexy new calibers in some derivative of a synth stock, and have lost the love for old cartridges in any kind of wood. Well, the older Rem 700’s are still some of the best quality in class, endless parts and support. To make them now as good as they were then, would come off the line at $2000+ probably but you could shop selectively and pick up several barely used rifles now and still not exceed that. “Too bad” I already have a half dozen or so…..but still tempting.

Any other changes in the gun market people have noticed?

I have noticed a bit of a trend, or what I think is a recent trend while window shopping used guns. I think we are experiencing a very strong generational rollover in tastes that is creating space for some deals where normally none were to be had in the recent past. Specifically I am talking about high fit/finish quality Remingtons (not the latest production over the last 10-15 years ). But you have to be OK with “boring” calibers like 30-06 and 7mm mag with .270 landing in third. (Chamberings like .260, 7mm-08 buck the trend and prices have in fact risen). There is no excuse for people who say they can’t find a quality affordable rifle. Seems most people nowadays want only sexy new calibers in some derivative of a synth stock, and have lost the love for old cartridges in any kind of wood. Well, the older Rem 700’s are still some of the best quality in class, endless parts and support. To make them now as good as they were then, would come off the line at $2000+ probably but you could shop selectively and pick up several barely used rifles now and still not exceed that. “Too bad” I already have a half dozen or so…..but still tempting.

I love my old Remington 700 BDL. 1979 model year chambered in .30-06. It shoots MOA or better and I picked it up in a pawnshop in 2020 for $450.

I love my old Remington 700 BDL. 1979 model year chambered in .30-06. It shoots MOA or better and I picked it up in a pawnshop in 2020 for $450.
Didn't pay anything for it but I have my uncles old Rem 722 in .222 with a half fogged up old Bushnell 4x shoots clover leafs with Remington factory ammo. I'd put that gun up against any custom gun in that caliber. Imagine what it could do with a decent scope in the hands of a better shooter. I've thought about refinishing it but somethings are better left original, I have mixed feelings on that.

Last edited:
There’s also a serious upcharge for any finish that isn’t cheap bluing and nitriting.

Bet none of them are lefty though. Shopping used is most often met with disappointment. Lots of nice rifles, but none of any use to me unless they’re lever or pump guns.

But, more so than the lack of lefties, I feel like when I’ve gone pursuing for local used guns I see mostly ARs. Talk about boring. I miss the days of shelves filled with sporterized Mausers and $80 mosins.

I would love to get a good deal on an AR right now.

Love my Savage 270. Also have a 1017 30-06. Love her. Give me classic quality over flashy, shiny stuff, any day.

Didn't pay anything for it but I have my uncles old Rem 722 in .222 with a half fogged up old Bushnell 4x shoots clover leafs with Remington factory ammo. I'd put that gun up against any custom gun in that caliber. Imagine what it could do with a decent scope in the hands of a better shooter. I've thought about refinishing it but somethings are better left original, I have mixed feelings on that.
I purchased Rem 722/222mag early 60's. I take it out few times each year and shoot PD.

Last edited:
The older rifles I have were handed down. I have one each from both my grandpa's, so I don't tend to take them out. Reminds me to check online again to see If I can find ammo for the 32 Winchester special.

after I picked up my Bergara 300 win mag that's just been my go too rifle. Good note though thanks il have to swing in and look at some of the used racks. I like to swing into the local gunshows when I see them around as well.

Bet none of them are lefty though. Shopping used is most often met with disappointment. Lots of nice rifles, but none of any use to me unless they’re lever or pump guns.

But, more so than the lack of lefties, I feel like when I’ve gone pursuing for local used guns I see mostly ARs. Talk about boring. I miss the days of shelves filled with sporterized Mausers and $80 mosins.
I’ve run into interesting old lefties more than a few times. They usually are pretty cheap.

Left handed used firearms are targets of opportunity or they can become grail quests.

There is no middle ground.

New firearms benefit from modern manufacturing techniques that make it far less expensive to achieve hand-made accuracy results. That means less cost to make & better profits but when coupled with the American standard of reducing costs along with quality, you end with Ruger Americans: shoot great, questionable longevity.

$2k for a new rifle or a classic- classic all day long.

A $2k used shotgun will be twice the gun a new $2k gun will be in terms of quality of build, stocks, finish & fit. My 88 year old Griefelt is in the same price range as a new Citori, and it is a handmade, perfectly fitted gun that will last another 88 years with some basic maintenance.

Glass is different though. Modern glass is preferred as older glass just can't match the quality.

Okie dokie, Bill Christy…? 😂

You’re right though, I got my model 700 wood (ONE small scratch) .243 for $300 WITH a Burris scope on it. I could probably shoot a bumble bee at 200 yards, no BS

I've always wanted and if I live long enough to find one I want a 1991(Year I was born) Remington 700 BDL 30-06, as a kid I always loved the look of the rifle and everytime I look one up I get nostalgic. The wood Monte Carlo stock with ebony fore end tip and iron sights are just a thing of beauty to me.

I've purchased and traded for some very nice long guns from trusted members right here...not dirt cheap but fair, and that works for me. More than a few and not a single hiccup.

Also the services of a metal and wood craftsman whose skills and integrity are second to none, again not dirt cheap but fair.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back