Non-resident Archery Elk Options with Traditional Bow

P

Pmringer

I am finally planning my first elk hunt after years of chasing deer and other big game in the west and east. The list changes yearly about which states are the best for archery tags.

I am looking for recommendations. I expect to cover a lot of ground and am not opposed to any state but I would like the best economical option. If a cheaper tag means working harder and covering more ground to see something then I am not opposed to it.

I am looking for a general direction to start. I travel a lot for work and have the luxury of being able to scout in just about any state I choose over the summer.

I don't have points anywhere out west anymore since I moved back east and am looking for OTC or guaranteed draw.

I know it is a broad ask but I am looking for a starting point to start researching and scouting.

Thanks!

For strictly otc I think CO and ID will pretty much be your options. CO will have more elk but will be more crowded in general. NM and ID also don't have points in their draw. So you could put in for their draw tags also, for a more quality hunt. Then go otc if you don't draw. But both those states also require you purchase a non-refundable license in order to put in for the draw.

I appreciate the input. I was leaning toward both NM and ID both from a preference standpoint and the hope they would be slightly less crowded. If I have to pay for the license to put in for a draw but still have the OTC option then that is tempting.

I would get some PP for Wyoming and come here to hunt.
We're longbow hunters ourselves. It's nice to not have terrible pressure in the forest. We hunt general areas when we don't draw a LQ tag. Last few years never saw a hunter in the field, just along the roads.

That sounds promising and I have a buddy with property against public land that would a convenient jump off point. I’ll look into that.

Oregon has otc tags for elk in the western part of the state. I'll be hunting there this fall for sure.

I have considered Oregon as well after talking to some guys. Colorado was mentioned by a few people I hunt with and work with out west but I am concerned how crowded it is. I know Montana and Idaho have been getting slammed by non-resident hunters over the past few years as well so it is kind of a toss up. Another coworker did a non-resident hunt in CO for elk during archery last year with OTC. He didn't see elk and nobody in the party got anything but they didn't really hunt hard. From my understanding they stuck close to camp and only hiked fire roads.

I would suggest at least putting in, in Wyoming, in the random draw. Do you do you have a chance to draw a general Montana tag also. Then you have Colorado and Idaho as you’re over the counter prospects. Also you could put in, in New Mexico. Out of those five states you should be able to draw something. If not you are stuck doing over the counter.
Matt

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back