Montana Archery Elk Research?

My dream is to kill a 7 to 8 year old bull. Would I love it to have 380 yes, but if he was 320 great.

No offense, but so is everyone.

There are big bulls on public land in general units in montana. I've lucked into killing one, and a handful that are in the very respectable category. I know nobody likes the phrase on this site but my advice is to tighten up those boot laces, get creative with your scouting, and spend some time putting on some miles, not just in season. Spend enough time and you'll find one eventually. Its a tough game to play though, and its seams like you're competing with more at more people each year. I'm trying to make this an encouraging post.
Why would I take offense? I know most are chasing them. I appreciate it and do grind already. I will continue to grind also. I just want to expand my opportunities.

I wouldn't worry about drawing special permits. I'd hunt general units. As for unit 380, I spent most of this past bowhunting season in it, as a friend of mine drew the bull tag. Anyone who says that you'd have to settle for a 320 bull is either deliberately trying to mislead or was looking in the wrong places.

A 380” on public in the Pintlars during archery? You are looking for a needle in a sea of haystacks.

I do like your optimism.
I totally agree. A 380 bull is a huge bull. Very few mature bulls even have those genetics and rarely reach the age needed if they do to get there. A 380 bull in a general unit? Needle in a sea of haystacks might be an overstatement.

Last edited:
I've only ever killed 6 elk, all cows. I hunt to fill the freezer. Was thinking about this bull problem you guys are talking about and got me to thinking. I wonder just how many really trophy bulls are out there and how long does it take to grow one. Could it be your hunting them all out and what's not hunted out is shoved way back into pretty inaccessible country? Americans have turned hunting into mostly sport hunting but last day or two they take any legal animal. What if the tags for trophy animals were sold at a real premium, say $500, but all you could take was a 6 pt or better? No more fork or small legal bulls on the last couple days. I'm thinking its trophy hunting itself limiting the number of real trophy bulls! Mother nature will only supply so many of these animals a year and to read abut hunting elk it seems everyone wants a real trophy, well up until the last day or so. Had a good number of elk around where I hunted a big part of my life but true trophy's I have seldom seen!

A number of years ago Oregon opened a trophy deer area, well 4pt or better. I'd talked to some guys that hunted it the first years and they were amazed the number of 4pt bucks they saw in the early couple years. But haven't heard a thing about it in over 20 yrs now! My guess is it takes time to grow those animals and everybody going hunting is looking for one of them before settling on a simple legal animal. The down side to a trophy area with fees to match is it will eliminate a ton of pressure with simply putting a fee on the tag in line with the animal your wanting! So, who would pay $500 for a trophy tag good in any area but only a say five day season? I can guarantee you there are going to be people that would pay it, of course I am not one.

Make's me think, if you were a cattle rancher would you shoot your prize bull because he's so much better than the rest or would you hold onto him for breeding? Butcher the animal and put it in the oven and they all look the same!

I’m lucky to hunt enough and be successful enough to fill the freezer each year, while being somewhat picky.

My goal with almost all game is a mature animal. If we want healthy herds that’s one step in the right direction. Most point restrictions have actually been proven to hurt herds over the long haul. You end up saving 2 and 3 point mule deer for example, and then there genetics spread. They also see this with 5 point bulls, and this is why some of the amazing reservation hunts have created specific hunts to cull big 5’s.

I think the average hunter sees a 310" bull and thinks its a 330+. I still loose my sht when I have a close encounter with a 300+ inch bull. Some guys seem to pile up the 300+ inch bulls. I've screwed up my fair share of them on general tags, but they're out there for sure and they're a damn good trophy in my book.

Hey All, I haven’t killed a bull since moving to WA, and my life getting nuts. Life is awesome now. Last year I took up archery again and chased elk a little bit. I have a ton to learn. I’m refocusing my draw efforts in MT to archery. I only have 4 bonus points, and really want to find a unit I can draw more routinely. I am researching, and have some ideas but know to follow the rule about mentioning unit numbers. Any advice would be deeply appreciated, and I’d even be willing to go hunting with someone. I killed 9 bulls before leaving MT, but it’s been ~20 years. Damn I’m getting old. I am in good shape, a hard hunter, and skilled in the rifle hunting world. Archery… I love to learn. Thanks, Ni

Hi,

Do you want to hunt elk or kill elk?
The better you know an unit the better your chances of killing Elk. If you love to hunt Elk I would imagine there is plenty of opportunity in your new home state of Washington. While you are waiting to draw you could be learning new areas to hunt and hone your skills and it shouldn't cost you much. For me hunting is a lot like fishing. A bad day on the lake is better than a good day at work.

Montana offers great bowhunting opportunities for bull elk in regions like the Bob Marshall Wilderness, the Missouri Breaks, and the Beartooth Mountains. When hunting bull elk, consider using bugling calls to attract them during the rut and focus on areas with good cover and water sources. Stalking and setting up in ambush locations can also be effective strategies. Make sure to scout the area beforehand, practice shooting from various distances, and be patient and persistent during the hunt. Remember to always follow hunting regulations and safety guidelines while in the field.

Montana offers great bowhunting opportunities for bull elk in regions like the Bob Marshall Wilderness, the Missouri Breaks, and the Beartooth Mountains. When hunting bull elk, consider using bugling calls to attract them during the rut and focus on areas with good cover and water sources. Stalking and setting up in ambush locations can also be effective strategies. Make sure to scout the area beforehand, practice shooting from various distances, and be patient and persistent during the hunt. Remember to always follow hunting regulations and safety guidelines while in the field.
Wow, Montana sounds like an amazing place for bowhunting bull elk! Using bugling calls and setting up ambush locations sounds like a smart strategy. It's important to scout the area beforehand and be patient during the hunt. And of course, always follow hunting regulations and stay safe! 🏹🦌

It’s best that you learn about it from the experts. Here are some helpful resources to check out: https://cameronhanes.com/

Who should I call to get special permission to take my wheeled game cart into that Bob Marshall Wilderness you speak of? Of course there will be an understanding that I won't go all over with it just aid in my game recovery my 67 I mean 68 no wait 69yo body with multiple joint replacements make it hard for me to get around.

On a serious note I am glad there's a feature that shows your old handle, I am glad someone as deserving as you was award the @William Christy carry that with honor

Hi,

Do you want to hunt elk or kill elk?
The better you know an unit the better your chances of killing Elk. If you love to hunt Elk I would imagine there is plenty of opportunity in your new home state of Washington. While you are waiting to draw you could be learning new areas to hunt and hone your skills and it shouldn't cost you much. For me hunting is a lot like fishing. A bad day on the lake is better than a good day at work.

Great perspective! Hopefully I draw the right tags to prevent to donation to WA.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back