MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

CO elk hunt DIY

Spahr12

As I mentioned I am planning on a first trip out elk hunting this fall. My brother in law and I are both freshly out of the service and spent a good portion of that time rucking mountains in Colorado and Japan respectively. Physical fitness and ability to push it should not be an issue with us as we have maintained a pretty high level of fitness. We have narrowed down our search to 2nd Rifle OTC Unit 4. And within that unit the SW portion of the Routt National forest planning to glass and sit on the drainages that come out of the higher elevation down towards the private land below. We are working on plans 2-6 but that is our start. Do you have any knowledge on this unit that may lead us in the right direction in our own E scouting. If there are any other OTC units you may think we should take a look at also I would appreciate that too. We are restricted to maybe getting out the day before the season starts for actual boots on the ground scouting as we are both young guys who can’t take off and afford any additional scouting trip this summer. So we are relying on the kindness of strangers and our own E scouting on the internet. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Don't know anything about that unit, but if memory serves me it seems like all the comments about that portion of the state is usually "saw tons of elk on private property and they never came off".

My two cents is I'd find an all rugged mountain unit with less public lands consisting of fields and farms and look there, I'd figure they should be still in the public lands portions. Just a guess.

As I mentioned I am planning on a first trip out elk hunting this fall. My brother in law and I are both freshly out of the service and spent a good portion of that time rucking mountains in Colorado and Japan respectively. Physical fitness and ability to push it should not be an issue with us as we have maintained a pretty high level of fitness. We have narrowed down our search to 2nd Rifle OTC Unit 4. And within that unit the SW portion of the Routt National forest planning to glass and sit on the drainages that come out of the higher elevation down towards the private land below. We are working on plans 2-6 but that is our start. Do you have any knowledge on this unit that may lead us in the right direction in our own E scouting. If there are any other OTC units you may think we should take a look at also I would appreciate that too. We are restricted to maybe getting out the day before the season starts for actual boots on the ground scouting as we are both young guys who can’t take off and afford any additional scouting trip this summer. So we are relying on the kindness of strangers and our own E scouting on the internet. Thanks in advance for any pointers.
I believe that unit is draw only this year due to the winter kill last year. I was told this was a change this year, but I am not sure. It was OTC.

I believe that unit is draw only this year due to the winter kill last year. I was told this was a change this year, but I am not sure. It was OTC.
Oh I wasn’t sure I’ve read many things too but it was as of the 2023 season

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back