MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

My Upcoming First Elk Hunt in 22N

Hi malbo.....Silver Bullet here.
My son and I have the same hunt as you, so perhaps we may run into each other. I will be staying at a cabin in Whispering Pines and driving a silver Jeep JK four door that's highly modified.
Between a couple friends and I this will be the second time in the last four years I will be hunting 22N in December, and so far we've managed to fill all three tags with 5x5's. But believe me, it didn't come easy.
It sounds like you are doing everything right with your pre-season scouting, and especially your good fortune on finding someone who's willing to share their knowledge of the area. For me it's not so much finding bulls before the hunt as getting to know the area and have several backup plans in your pocket before the hunt starts.....which it sounds like you have covered.
I'm no expert, but the words of advice I can offer are as follows:
Get to your spot before it gets light, and plan on spending most of your time glassing. My son and I use high quality binoculars on a tripod which REALLY help find animals and reduce arm fatigue....much like hunting Coues.
If you have to hike in, be prepared by taking a pack frame during your hunt to save time and energy by not having to go back to your vehicle to get it.
If you do have to pack the elk, plan on using the "gutless method". It not only saves time, but pretty much eliminates the potential of meat contamination. You can find plenty of info about this on Google.
Also plan for very cold weather. Three years ago it got down below 20 degrees.
One last thing (strictly up to the individual hunter). Please wear some orange. It amazes me how many hunters I come across on these hunts in full camo and no orange. No only is it a safety issue, but I can easily spot orange from a great distance and go the other way and not ruin each others hunt.......sorry about the rant.
Good luck and be safe.

Thanks for the info Silver Bullet, I am always looking for as much information as my brain can hold. I always wear an orange cap. Especially with 474 other hunters in the unit like we will have. I have the whole week off work to hunt. In the past did you notice less pressure after people either tag out early or had to go back to work before the end of the week?
I got to learn the gutless method yesterday afternoon when my brother got his Coues. He will be with me on my Elk hunt so I will have some guidance. I have my Coues hunt in a couple of weeks to hold me over until my Elk hunt. I took all my time off for Elk and am only hunting Coues down in 35B for two days with my wife. She has a tag too, so hopefully we will have a full freezer.

Looks like I misunderstood the dates of your hunt. You and 474 of your closest friends will be hunting the week before my hunt which starts Dec. 6th of which there are 350 tags. I will be up there scouting prior to my hunt, but will stay at home while your hunt is happening as I don't want to be "that guy" getting in the way of someone else's hunt.
I've found that by the time Monday rolls around, most have left the area greatly improving your odds, but from the sound of things you probably won't see many hunters where you are going.
Good luck to you and your wife on your Coues hunt, and good luck to you and tagging an elk.......

Thanks Silver Bullet. I will be sure to take notes for you while I'm out there. PM me before you go out in case I forget. My wife is so excited for our Coes hunt, she decided that she wants her own rifle. She bought herself a Tika T3 in 270 win and topped it with a Vortex Diamondback. Needless to say, I'm jealous. But I am pretty sure I'll be using it at some point :)

Last edited:
My son and I were scouting last weekend and ended up spotting 35 elk, of which 17 were bulls......all from our usual spot. Snow was falling and the roads were slimy mud. Everyone on the late hunt should be prepared for the worse of conditions and please please please wear some orange.......camo might be macho, but orange keeps you from getting shot!!!!

Help

Since this is 2 years old, anyone mind helping a brotha out????
I have late season archery in 23n. I'm driving up from south Texas 18hrs to go hunt. Planning on taking my motorhome and staying above the rim and classing down. Then taking my ranger into the unit or walking down as I see any animals. Never been there so trying to see if I can camp up above the rim and come down or is that too hard and have to figure another way.
Anyway, any help would be grand!!!!

MARIO

You can camp on the rim on the Young Rd off Hwy 260. There is good glassing down into the Canyon Creek drainage to the east. Be aware there can be significant snow that time of year as in 2013.6070attachment.jpg

Then again, it can be warm as in 2014.

Attachments

• Elk Camp 2014.jpg
    Elk Camp 2014.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 367
Hahahahahaha. Yes that could make it a difficult time to park the coach.
Let's hope for the latter of the 2. Would hate to get stuck with the motorhome.
Thanks for the input. Waiting on my maps now to see what I want to plan.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back