My Redneck European Adventure

It didn't get off to the best start, i collected Dave from the hotel, noticed he hadn't put his seat belt on (it's the law here) drove around the corner (bear in mind it's 04.30) and 2 police cars, i drove past one followed and put on his blue lights, pulled me over, just to inform me i only had side lights on, strangely he did question the camouflage clothing!

It was too windy for effective calling, even though we tried, the first photo, scanning a valley with the moon dropping down.
2nd photo, we carefully stalked around a wood, i noticed a back of a deer feeding, we readied the rifle on the sticks, darn it, a roe doe with it's kid, about 25 yards away!

Hopefully we will get better luck tonight.

Poor old Dave is knackered through very little sleep!

Cheers

Richard
IMG_20160720_052153830.jpgIMG_20160720_053616124.jpg

Yep, pulled over for headlights but no question about head to toe camo and a gun case in the back seat! Maybe he was afraid to ask? That very little sleep was mostly brought about by the damn seagulls roosting outside our hotel room window! Tired to the bone from the flight and drive over, then start getting some good sleep just to have the gulls screaming outside most of the night. Uh, no air conditioning since it doesn't usually get this warm. Open the windows and hope for a breeze. Lights are on, so the gulls fly around and keep everyone awake. What I wouldn't do for an air rifle!

The wife and I walked around town today seeing the sights. Not sure how many miles we put on. Saw some nice things and had a very filling lunch. Probably won't eat much if anything later today before meeting Richard again. Then I'll get to see how well I remember how to get back to the hotel in the dark! Hope mama is awake to let me back into the room.

Even if I don't end up with anything I'm having a good time. Met some nice people, the scenery is nice (when you can see through the hedges) and I'm out doing my favorite thing somewhere besides home. Felt pretty good to walk around looking for deer. Got the old heart going for a while when the doe showed up. If it had only had some antlers... To be continued later.

You got the first stalk dress rehearsal out of the way I am feeling goods vibes for your next outing. All the best gents.

Last night's hunt got pretty exciting! Saw 4 red deer before we even started walking into the field. Richard called in 3 more later on, and we saw another Roe doe. No buck. Got back to the room, woke the wife up to let me in, and went to bed. Up again and driving just after 4AM to meet up for the morning hunt. Hit a couple places without seeing a thing.

Think I'll convert this thread over to Redneck European Adventure part 2. This one has gotten a bit long-winded. Wife and I are headed out for more "tourist" activities so it will come later. STAY TUNED!

I would go to 3:1 for a positive. Richard really wants this to work and knows the country. Good story regardless. I stayed up for the 2 am update. I work nights.

if Richard is on Hunt Talk at 5:17 pm their time instead of getting ready for a final evening hunt, I am guessing Dave was successful or Richard and jet lag have run poor Dave into the ground.

if Richard is on Hunt Talk at 5:17 pm their time instead of getting ready for a final evening hunt, I am guessing Dave was successful or Richard and jet lag have run poor Dave into the ground.
I plead your 5th amendment.
All i can say is, i think Dave and I, being 55 and 56 respectively, could out run Randy Newberg in a race, we proved it this morning!
Cheers
Richard

Alrighty then! Sawtooth, we don't go out until 7 or so, so you missed the mark, pal!

Pretty countyside out here, found this picture in the middle of Exeter looking out from part of the old city wall.

IMG_2437.jpg

We saw 7 red deer total last night, took this picture out of the truck window pulling into our hunting spot.

IMG_2407.jpg

Even managed to find something worthwhile for our travel efforts!

IMG_2412.jpgIMG_2416.jpgIMG_2418.jpg

That's awesome. Beautiful buck. Congratulations Dave. Now let's hear the story about the stalk that required Newbergesque(sp) feats of speed.

Last edited:
Guess the cat's out of the bag now, huh? Richard and I went out last night and tried a couple of his honey holes, proceeding to strike out. Went to another spot and glassed from the road. Richard spotted one in a field that I never did see, and then we saw a doe running across the field and up into some trees. Only took a minute and a buck came out scent trailing her. We jumped into the truck and were off in a flash hauling ass to get ahead of them to get set up. We both were running through the next field up where they should be showing up and set up by a pole in the middle of the field looking down into the timber. Wind was in our faces! After what seemed like FOREVER I saw them below us. Richard, being just a hair shorter, took a wee bit longer to stretch onto his toes to see what I did. Being over the edge of the hill, we lost sight of them pretty quickly. After discussing our options we duck-walked, I mean duck-RAN out and away to the fenceline and worked down a bit. I soon spotted the doe again feeding just as calm as could be. She was the ONLY thing calm at this point! I had his rifle up in the sticks watching, praying, WILLING the buck to show up. Hmm, where did he go? FINALLY, by being that tad bit taller, I spotted him moving towards the doe again. No really clear shot there, readjusted the sticks several times, and soon the doe was getting nervous. The buck moved toward the treeline, Richard hit his call, the buck stopped slightly quartering away, and I got lined up on him. BANG! FLOP! ONE deer ran away! I had another round chambered and waited. The buck never got up. Excitedly, we went over the hill and came up on a brown lump in the grass. BINGO! I had my Roe buck! The pictures and work followed. Richard ranged the shot at 130 yards, and in the last picture I put up, there is definitely a bullet hole in it's neck.

Strange little rack, it has sort of a button growth under the right antler. Richard is working on the cleaning of the skull preparing it for me to take home. We'll head over there tomorrow to pick it up if it's ready, then continue on our adventure in England! Many, many thanks AGAIN to him for making the offer and for being such a gracious and hard working host! He really worked his butt off trying to find me a deer. Once one was spotted he put us in the perfect place to seal the deal.

Now, after walking AND running for who knows HOW far over the past few hunting trips, plus walking for MANY more miles around town with my wife, I'M OFFICIALLY TIRED! I have calculated that since 6AM Monday morning until now, Thursday 8PM their time (2PM mine), I've gotten MAYBE a total of 7 or 8 hours of sleep! Time to stretch out in bed and see if I can add a few more to that number!

How much is my cut of those wagers?

Great buck and a great story to go with it. Get some sleep because your Redneck Adventure is just beginning. England is an amazing place with great people and a rich history. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Richard, do you get a bit of a break now or is it back to the river with you?

Congrats to you both on a successful hunt.

What a great adventure! Looks like all the preparations leading up to your trip have paid off. There was no letdown on all the anticipation looking forward to your trip. You will relive every moment of you and your wife's trip to England everytime you look at your tropjy on the wall.
Enjoy the rest of your vacation.
Hats off to Richard for helping make it all happen.
Cheers! :hump:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RPN
Back