Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

My Redneck European Adventure

Well, yesterday was pretty boring for the most part. We drove down through Cornwall headed to St. Micheal's Mount, a huge castle on top of a small island out in the ocean. When the tide goes out it exposes a walkway to the island. It gets covered when the tide comes back in. The tide was up when we got there so we took some pictures and walked around the village for a bit before heading out. We missed the gardens Richard told us about because I failed to look up where they were ahead of time! Traffic was a bit heavy with folks heading out on "holiday". The radio kept talking about it and we kept heading straight back toward Exeter instead of going up closer to the coastline as planned. We crossed into Wales and found a room in Cardiff for the night. Went walking around looking for a nice restaurant to relax and splurge a bit on a Saturday night. We found a couple prospects but of course they had a long wait. We were fairly tired by this time so here we were thousands of miles from home and we went to a Pizza Hut! Even better, we skipped the pizza and I had a slab of ribs while Lori had a pasta dish. Walking back to the hotel I caught a whiff of something familiar. Steaks on the grill! Damn the luck!

Going to hit the shower, go down for some breakfast and then see the Cardiff castle directly across the street. We'll then head out of here and head for the ferry for our ride over to Ireland this afternoon.

Not enough time to fill in the details. Need to hit the road. Had a bad start to Ireland! On to Dublin.

Well, yesterday was pretty boring for the most part. We drove down through Cornwall headed to St. Micheal's Mount, a huge castle on top of a small island out in the ocean. When the tide goes out it exposes a walkway to the island. It gets covered when the tide comes back in. The tide was up when we got there so we took some pictures and walked around the village for a bit before heading out. We missed the gardens Richard told us about because I failed to look up where they were ahead of time! Traffic was a bit heavy with folks heading out on "holiday". The radio kept talking about it and we kept heading straight back toward Exeter instead of going up closer to the coastline as planned. We crossed into Wales and found a room in Cardiff for the night. Went walking around looking for a nice restaurant to relax and splurge a bit on a Saturday night. We found a couple prospects but of course they had a long wait. We were fairly tired by this time so here we were thousands of miles from home and we went to a Pizza Hut! Even better, we skipped the pizza and I had a slab of ribs while Lori had a pasta dish. Walking back to the hotel I caught a whiff of something familiar. Steaks on the grill! Damn the luck!

Going to hit the shower, go down for some breakfast and then see the Cardiff castle directly across the street. We'll then head out of here and head for the ferry for our ride over to Ireland this afternoon.

I would happily take that boring day right now!:D

OK, will try to go quickly. Have to catch the ferry this morning. Got to our B&B near the ferry when we hit Ireland. Got checked in and went for a bite to eat. Then we found the laundry service she had talked about. OUTSIDE! Hmm... OK. Fired up the washer and waited for it to finish. Well, the spin cycle just sort of went around, never enough to get rid of any water! Our clothes were drenched. We wrung out what we could and ran the dryer. Now out of change at 11PM they of COURSE were still wet. Threw them in our luggage and went to bed. Got some change in the morning when the gas station opened and ran the dryer another hour. Still just a shade damp but good enough. There was a line starting. Went back for breakfast then hit the road. The next part of the day was good then good and stressful with a HUGE help from a gal from reception at our hotel in Dublin.

Sorry, will load my pictures later, have to hit the road for catching the ferry!

St. Micheal's Mount out at the end of Cornwall. A walkpath appears at low tide to the island.

IMG_2483.jpg

Cardiff Castle

IMG_2507.jpg

Outdoor laundry in Ireland. Cost us 20 Euros to wash and dry 1 load!

IMG_2552.jpg

We took the ferry from Pembroke over to Rosslare. Stayed at a B&B shortly after leaving the port. Our laundry situation got us a bit behind schedule for the day. I asked my wife, gardens or Waterford? She picked the Waterford plant. That really was quite interesting watching the glass blowing and etching process. We left there and headed to Dublin where we had a hotel and dinner show booked. The scenery was nice, green and lush. Really liked how the roads were marked for travel!

Dublin. Oy vey! I had great, easy directions to our hotel in the Temple Bar area downtown. Traffic was literally move 10 feet and stop. Took a while but we found our place. Of course, there is NO parking! Drove to the nearest car park, found a space, and walked God knows how far to the hotel dragging luggage. Very stressed at this point, and worried about finding the car again and getting to the ferry in time the next morning. Now the GREATEST part! The gal at reception could tell we had been through the wringer and were worried about the next morning. She told us they had a very small underground parking area and would make a spot for our car. She even walked with me to the car park so I wouldn't get turned around. She gave me all the turns to take and called for the gate to be opened for us. We drove downstairs, parked, and she took the keys to put behind the desk. Greatest service I have ever had! Shortly after that I noticed my glasses were no longer hanging on my shirt! Uh oh. Figured they got caught on the seat belt when we parked. My spare pair were in the car. So, I went blind until this morning when I found them in the back seat.

More later.

Keep the stories and photos coming. My wife is even getting a kick from your adventures as we are starting the process of planning a trip to Scotland within the next year.

Made it to London. Staying in Wembley. GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's horrible.

Outdoor laundry in Ireland. Cost us 20 Euros to wash and dry 1 load!
][/QUOTE]

Wow! So is that a laundry in a parking lot? Those crazy Europeans!:rolleyes:

Sure was!

Well, we managed to survive our last day here, walking about London. Saw lots of things and places, and put a few more miles on the boots. Will be interesting to see what the scale says when we get back home. I've been slacking on our travel report but I promise to wrap things up with plenty more pictures once we're back home. HOPEFULLY, we can find our way back to Heathrow with the car and get squared away for our flight tomorrow.

Had a great time, and Richard and Kath made GREAT hosts! Cheers to them!

Catch you all back in the states!

Made it back to the house, trophy included! Bed time. I'll start playing catch up tomorrow.

Let's see what I can catch up on...

Coastline leaving Pembroke, Wales headed for Ireland.

IMG_2535.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back