Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

MT Shoulder Season Public Comment

For what it's worth, I've heard reports of changes to the proposals in a couple units that should make some public land hunters happy. Public comment was cited in both instances.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I've heard reports of changes to the proposals in a couple units that should make some public land hunters happy. Public comment was cited in both instances.

Tease... can't be a little more specific? :D

One more comment on the broken system that is Montana's Hunting Season setting:

Last night I was called by the FWP to report my 2015 harvest. They asked me about deer, antelope, and wolves. As the guy began to end the call, I interrupted him and said, "Wait, aren't you going to ask me about elk?"

"Nope," he replied. "Not until after the Shoulder Seasons".

The Commission decides what the regs will look like on Thursday. How can they set elk seasons and desired harvest objectives without any data on the previous year's harvest stats? I complained about super-aggressive management strategies in areas that are barely over objective in the Helena meeting. I was told they would "keep a close eye on it".

Such horsechit. I've never had less faith in a Department of the State of Montana as I do for FWP at this time.

Article in the Helena IR today about proposed changes. I can never download PDF's from that damn site so here it is for anybody interested.

Attachments

• agenda.pdf
    172.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Article in the Helena IR today about proposed changes. I can never download PDF's from that damn site so here it is for anybody interested.

It's good to see they removed a couple units from the shoulder seasons, and addressed some of the blaring issues.

I'm curious to see how the nanny tags work out.

I like what they came up with for 313, from what I know of the dynamic in the unit, that's very similar to Loveless' original proposal.

Last edited:
Slightly modified elkapolypse. 89% of public comments opposed. This is way, way worse for the elk than the wolf intro. Very bummed.

Well where I hunt does not have a shoulder season on the way....instead it's going to be a cow-free-for-all the whole season. People will be able to shoot cows with their bull tags....gonna be a mess!

A similar campaign(s) was mounted concerning the shoulder seasons and among 316 surveymonkey and email comments 89% were opposed, particularly with the archery/rifle overlap. Other comments spoke to individual hunting districts and/or areas or general themes such as point restrictions, simplify regs, access, etc.

Is FWP discounting public comment because a "campaign" was mounted to encourage people to comment? FWP may have changed some of their original proposals based on public comment, but If a guy threatens to kick you in the balls and based on your pleading, punches you in the stomach it doesnt follow that he deserves thanks. The public comment aspect of management in this state is All Gurgle and No Guts.

I didn't see that 89% opposed last night. That's dumbfounding...

Ben,

Its a done deal, try all you want. I sent my comments in too, total trivia to the FWP.

Good luck tapping the brakes on the MFWP's fast-track to 90K elk.

Its pure fantasy to think the FWP and Legislature are ever going to take hunters seriously.

Called it 3 pages ago...and its business as usual for MFWP.

Well, at least they nixed the shoulder season during the archery seasons in regions 3-7. I'm not sure how many shoulder seasons were entirely stopped - looks like a couple. Comments helped, but FWP has a behind-the-doors mandate from those who set their funding. Don't get mad at them, get mad at the legislators behind this.

wow ..... Breaks unit I hunt for elk (cow b tags) is now opening up for either sex elk with a gen tag !!! wtf................ guess they want all the elk gone.... wow

. Comments helped, but FWP has a behind-the-doors mandate from those who set their funding. Don't get mad at them, get mad at the legislators behind this.

Not exactly, FWP set the bullshit objectives that the legislators are forcing them to manage to.

Back