MT Archery Elk 2010

MHMT

A little late on this post, but just found this site and thought I'd share my elk hunt from this year. This bull was taken in Montana during the 2010 archery season on public land with an over the counter tag. It is my first bull elk ever and I was extremely lucky to say the least. Over the last three years I have been on a number of bowhunting backpacking trips trying to take any legal elk, but up until now have only been able to take a couple cow elk with a riffle.

This year I was unsuccessful on my backpack hunt, but happened to spot a herd while cutting firewood. Going to school, it was hard to find time hunt, but I managed to hike the couple miles to the elk after class. I heard him bugling in the early afternoon, spotted him about 100 yards away and gave one call, he came in screaming to 36 yards, he only made it 75 yards after the shot. Wasn't easy though, I've hunted in some pretty thick stuff but this place was the thickest. I had to climb over some brutal deadfall to get to this guy, and to get him out. Luckily I had some family and friends willing to climb through the maze with me to help pack him out.

Attachments

• IMG_4685.jpg
    IMG_4685.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_4674.jpg
    IMG_4674.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 701
  • IMG_1092.jpg
    IMG_1092.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 701
  • IMG_1129.jpg
    IMG_1129.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 704
Wow, that is one to behold. Congrats on one hell of an elk. Sure you won't forget that one for a long time.

Welcome to the site. Nothing like a big splash when you jump in the pool.

Awesome 1st bull!!I keep thinking about the Montana draws;this doesn't help.Cool story and it shows hard work eventually pays off.In your case it paid off BIG

Holy crapola! That is a sweet bull man! First or last or any inbetween!

Where were you cutting firewood, i'm about out and gonna freeze to death;)lol

3 years and "one" more hill climb. Funny how it is always the same.

Seriously, did anyone in MT not kill a giant bull this year?

That was a full blown cannonball into the pool. Those brow tines are incredible, the whole thing is incredible. Thanks for posting and look forward many more pictures.

What a great bull.

Thats got to be close to B&C as a 5pt? Care to share the score if you have it?

Congrats.

That's about as awesome of a bull as you can find. Congrats on one heck of an elk.

What a great bull.

Thats got to be close to B&C as a 5pt? Care to share the score if you have it?

Congrats.

Not B&C, I put the tape to it and came up with 355 gross 332 net. Just hit the 60 day mark a few days ago though, so I'll get the official score soon.

Dang that is a big bull, very cool pictures you took. Thanks and congrats on a hell on an elk!

That is an awesome bull. Too bad he had to grow that sixth point. I really love big 5 point bulls for some reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back