Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana General Season Structure Proposal

There’s been a common thread of initial feedback from folks who read this proposal for the first time.

Almost everyone has some particular small preference that would preserve their particular preferred opportunity. What type of retained/improved opportunity suggested varies widely but there’s always a common theme. There’s recognition that something needs to be done for the health of the resource and reluctance to lose a preferential opportunity.

Center concept of the entire proposal is acceptance that in order or retain opportunity or improve upon it in the future it is necessary to accept short term sacrifice to allow opportunity to develop.

Everyone, myself included, is going to have to give up some preferences for the resource to flourish.

As long as the hunting community retains the attitude that reduced “opportunity” is only okay if it happens to someone else, improving wildlife resource management in Montana is going to be a difficult task.

Youth hunt stays as-is. No changes. Still tied to the MEA in-service days.
Ok, the proposal said just for the two days of youth season. And then i assumed they’d have to have a district and species after those two days… I disagree with that

Ok, the proposal said just for the two days of youth season. And then i assumed they’d have to have a district and species after those two days… I disagree with that

You assumed correctly. Either species and all general regions would be valid for those two days only. Youth regulations for the rest of the general season would be the same as adults.

With elk shoulder seasons we have August 15th until February 15th currently, so a net reduction in hunting opportunity days/weeks would occur.
I can’t remember, but aren’t shoulder season in state statue now? Or was that only the third elk tag one can get?

You assumed correctly. Either species and all general regions would be valid for those two days only. Youth regulations for the rest of the general season would be the same as adults.
Last year, hunters of all ages could shoot any little forky buck they see all season long.. this year, children 10 to 12 never having got any big game animal and would be happy with that forky for their first, cannot….? That’s awful. Must really need the good ol days back.

Last year, hunters of all ages could shoot any little forky buck they see all season long.. this year, children 10 to 12 never having got any big game animal and would be happy with that forky for their first, cannot….? That’s awful. Must really need the good ol days back.
Is there an antler restriction that I missed ? Serious question.

There’s no need for a set aside for the youth season. That’s coming from a dad who has a 10 year old this year

No the kids get the entire state to hunt on one weekend for any buck they want. Seems like a pretty decent deal to me considering they still get the entire rest of the season to also hunt.
Yah I should have worded that different. No antler restriction while hunting the rest of the season correct?

There’s no need for a set aside for the youth season. That’s coming from a dad who has a 10 year old this year
One of the things I noticed I didn't care for. As a whole the proposal is a definite step in the right direction. Much appreciation to the panel members. mtmuley

No antler restrictions. They usually end up having a negative effect. The only way I could ever get behind some sort of antler restriction would be to help thin an over populated elk herd with 5 point or less.
Totally agree. Antler restrictions are about as counterproductive as they come. I'm just not figuring out why @Flatbrimmer says the kid can't shoot the forky?

Yah I should have worded that different. No antler restriction while hunting the rest of the season correct?

No antler restrictions anywhere in our proposal. Antler restrictions wouldn’t bring about the desired changes. Everyone is fully supportive of allowing individual hunters to choose what size animals they want to shoot.

Totally agree. Antler restrictions are about as counterproductive as they come. I'm just not figuring out why @Flatbrimmer says the kid can't shoot the forky?
No no, I just think the kids should be aloud to shoot a mule deer all season in any district. Last year nobody had so many restrictions, this year even the children do. In MY opinion, we shouldn’t have to restrict the kids as well unless it’s THAT detrimental. I’ll give up a little of my opportunity that’s a non issue. But I believe they deserve all the opportunities available. That’s why 15 year olds or less have way more options as far as either sex etc.

And I’m not nitpicking a bit. Just one thing I think will raise some questions. You know where I stand on it. As I said, I will obey any new regulations they place, whether I want them or not.
Letting kids shoot deer for two days before the general season doesn't help mule deer. I know the answer, but are there harvest stats on the youth hunt? mtmuley

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back