Kodiak adventure

We got him skinned out and after a brutal hike, made it back to camp about an hour after dark. The wind had kicked up and I was all sweated up and was freezing. Mountain house never tasted so good. I slept very little that night. My mind was racing over the events of the journey that had led me here.

The next day we awoke to this.

I was so thankful we had made our move when we did.

We were going to make 2 trips to get out but decided to try to make it in 1 because of the weather. The hike out was beyond difficult. What took us less than 4 hours to get in, took us over 8 to get out. Once again hiking through those alders is like nothing I have ever done. And doing it with heavy packs in the slippery snow was even more difficult. But it was a good pain that we all have experienced with heavy packs from a successful hunt.

Last edited:
We made it back to the lodge that night and finally could relax. The next couple days, we fleshed the hide and even got in a little duck hunting. I just couldn’t get over the beauty of this island. Truly a magnificent place.

As the float plane flew me out several days later I couldn’t help but feel so grateful for this experience. I am thankful for opportunities to hunt in these wild places. I am also thankful for a wonderful wife that supports me like she does. She too was so excited that I had finally got my bear.

Awesome story and great write up. Thanks for taking us on a suspense filled adventure.
Your sons prayers for "Dad to get his bear" were definitely answered with that beautiful Brownie.

I absolutely loved your write up. What an amazing bear, and a Harlequin duck to boot! Wow, just wow!

Magnificent bear and an awesome hunt report, heck that is the adventure of a life time and its great to see it all come together on hunt #4 for you for those big bears.

The bear is so huge my mind says the pictures have to be photoshopped. What a great adventure.

Congrats on fulfilling your dream and not giving up. Great story and pictures. I've never really thought about hunting Brown bears but then I watched Kodiak recently and all the folks hunting on the island. I've changed my mind now, and would like to give it a shot someday. Reading your story and seeing your pictures just added to it. I can never afford to do a guided hunt but WHEN we move to Alaska maybe I can hook up with a local and go after one, assuming my wife has enough life insurance on me! Congrats again on a beautiful trophy!

Hunting bears on kodiak was by far the hardest hunt mental i have ever done. Lack of seeing lots of animals, weather, sitting in one spot all made it rough. sounds like you guys had an amazing trip and got one hell of a bear. great work!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back