Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Idaho - Archery Unit Help! (#63, #55)

mthunter

Looking for advice on Unit 63 and Unit 55 in Idaho for the late archery only hunt. Looking for mule deer. Which has better access, population, wintering grounds, ect...???

Thanks!

Joe

I can't speak for animal size and populations, but as far as the land goes I'd shy away from 63. You probably already know this, but a third of 63 is locked up by the INL, another third is private property, and the other third is BLM sage flats.

55 has a lot more hill country along with some nice forest service / farm ground interface that would probably be productive this time of year.

I have considered the 63 hunt as I live real close to it and have shied away from it. Not a lot of mule deer in the unit, plus its basically completely flat.

I'd give the late hunts in 28, 55 or 39 a chance long before 63.

Retired Timber Cruiser. Worked forest plots in unit 55 - 1996 - July/Aug. Hiked some awesome country and saw some nice bucks in velvet. Been on my bucket list to go hunt it. Headed over Saturday to scout for the Tuesday opener, Nov 16th. Have several areas to check. And a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Didn't get here until the 20th. Tried the east side of the Cotterrel Mtns. Widely scattered fresh sign but nothing seen yet. Any other areas I should look at?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back