Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

ID refuses to send wolves to CO, joining WY and MT.

There's no way that there's still 290,000 elk in this state.
I was surprised to read that as well!

CPW says 280,000 though don't share a date for their estimated count however, it's on their current government website.

RMEF noted from a 2019 read, the following:

"Wildlife officials in Colorado relocated 50 elk from Wyoming in 1916. Today, there are more than 280,000 animals in the Centennial State."

Does HT have a better handle on the #'s? I'd be interested to hear.

Edit added: for the general #'s posted, source:

Last edited:
I was surprised to read that as well!

CPW says 280,000 though don't share a date for their estimated count however, it's on their current government website.

RMEF noted from a 2019 read, the following:

"Wildlife officials in Colorado relocated 50 elk from Wyoming in 1916. Today, there are more than 280,000 animals in the Centennial State."

Does HT have a better handle on the #'s? I'd be interested to hear.

Edit added: for the general #'s posted, source:

This is the post hunt estimate provided by cpw from 2022

IMG_5139.jpeg

Surely it’s not perfect, how not perfect I don’t think I’m qualified to say 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
303,000? 2022? CPW noted estimate?

We need to help hunt elk in Colorado! Colorado needs to reduce NR fees below R value.

I feel like I’ve spent a fair amount of time chasing some of those herds listed and those estimates are way higher than I would have guessed. I must just suck and should hunt harder I suppose.

Oh well. #keephammering

too bad oregon is willing to give colorado some wolfs//though i dont want them here,,i also dont want colorado to turn into the barren landscape like oregon now has now,,havnt seen a decent deer or elk in a while here in my home state,,,in fact i would lmao if colorado could turn around and sue oregon for giving them some wolfs.that would make my day.

It would seem at least plausible to me that Oregon has opened themselves up for a lawsuit, likely not from Colorado though. Oregon does not allow hunting of wolves because they are “endangered” but they must not be “endangered” that much if they have a surplus to give to Colorado?

Make it make sense.

Send them to NYC, San Fran, LA, Seattle, Portland, Boston, Detroit, Minneapolis, Boca Raton, Naples, FL, .... They always seem to foist their opinions on other areas of the country. Where's the accountability?????

It would seem at least plausible to me that Oregon has opened themselves up for a lawsuit, likely not from Colorado though. Oregon does not allow hunting of wolves because they are “endangered” but they must not be “endangered” that much if they have a surplus to give to Colorado?

Make it make sense.
That is is BS that folks can just wave magic wand to move wolves from Oregon to Colorado with no public involvement, NEPA or any oversight.

What is the legal status of the wolf in Oregon again?

That is is BS that folks can just wave magic wand to move wolves from Oregon to Colorado with no public involvement, NEPA or any oversight.

What is the legal status of the wolf in Oregon again?
Why are you making me do your homework, Miller?

As of Feb. 11, 2022, wolves west of Highways 395-78-95 are again listed on the federal Endangered Species Act and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service makes management decisions regarding harassment and take of wolves in response to wolf-livestock conflict in this region. Wolves east of Highways 395-78-95 are federally delisted and managed under the Oregon Wolf Conservation and Management Plan (Wolf Plan) with full authority to make decisions on harassment and take.

As of Nov. 10, 2015, wolves are no longer listed as a state Endangered Species in Oregon. They are still considered a special status game mammal and protected by statute throughout the state.

There are two wolf management zones under the Wolf Plan with the boundary being Highways 97/20/395. Wolves in Oregon are managed in phases determined by the number of wolves, their reproductive success, and their distribution in these zones. The Wolf Plan phases are more protective while the wolf population is low and less restrictive as the population increases.

Wolves in eastern Oregon are currently managed under Phase III of the state’s Wolf Plan. Wolves in western Oregon are managed under Phase I rules, which provide ESA-like protections, until this area of the state has four breeding pairs of wolves for three consecutive years.

Under the Oregon Wolf Plan, in all phases of wolf management, non-lethal deterrent measures to prevent wolf-livestock conflict remain the first choice of Oregon wildlife managers. These non-lethal preventative measures are required in all phases of wolf management before ODFW will consider lethal control of wolves due to chronic livestock depredation.

There is no general season sport hunting of wolves allowed in any phase of the Wolf Plan. In Phase III where wolves are delisted, controlled take of wolves by special permit in certain areas could be allowed with Commission approval in situations of chronic livestock depredation or wolf-related declines of prey populations.

As of Feb. 11, 2022, wolves west of Highways 395-78-95 are again listed on the federal Endangered Species Act and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service makes management decisions regarding harassment and take of wolves in response to wolf-livestock conflict in this region. Wolves east of Highways 395-78-95 are federally delisted and managed under the Oregon Wolf Conservation and Management Plan (Wolf Plan) with full authority to make decisions on harassment and take.

As of Nov. 10, 2015, wolves are no longer listed as a state Endangered Species in Oregon. They are still considered a special status game mammal and protected by statute throughout the state.

There are two wolf management zones under the Wolf Plan with the boundary being Highways 97/20/395. Wolves in Oregon are managed in phases determined by the number of wolves, their reproductive success, and their distribution in these zones. The Wolf Plan phases are more protective while the wolf population is low and less restrictive as the population increases.

Wolves in eastern Oregon are currently managed under Phase III of the state’s Wolf Plan. Wolves in western Oregon are managed under Phase I rules, which provide ESA-like protections, until this area of the state has four breeding pairs of wolves for three consecutive years.

Under the Oregon Wolf Plan, in all phases of wolf management, non-lethal deterrent measures to prevent wolf-livestock conflict remain the first choice of Oregon wildlife managers. These non-lethal preventative measures are required in all phases of wolf management before ODFW will consider lethal control of wolves due to chronic livestock depredation.

There is no general season sport hunting of wolves allowed in any phase of the Wolf Plan. In Phase III where wolves are delisted, controlled take of wolves by special permit in certain areas could be allowed with Commission approval in situations of chronic livestock depredation or wolf-related declines of prey populations.
Appreciate you saving Big Sky Guy and me 30 seconds of our time. :p:p:p

I wonder how many animals have been killed by these wolves already? Maybe RMEF, or other right thinking conservation organizations, could sue (doubt CPW would provide the access without a court order) to get live access to the tracking collars so they can do an environmental impact analysis on the wolves. Seems like this data will be essential to any future challenges to this program. To the extent that request is denied, or the suit loses, then subsequent court challenges shouldn't be denied because of a lack of data of the actual impacts of these wolves.

I wonder how many animals have been killed by these wolves already? Maybe RMEF, or other right thinking conservation organizations, could sue (doubt CPW would provide the access without a court order) to get live access to the tracking collars so they can do an environmental impact analysis on the wolves. Seems like this data will be essential to any future challenges to this program. To the extent that request is denied, or the suit loses, then subsequent court challenges shouldn't be denied because of a lack of data of the actual impacts of these wolves.
The recent Stockgrower and Cattleman injunction request was shot down in federal court.

My curiosity, if one of these famous Denver school woof named cute creatures with the CPW orange collars slaughter cattle/stock in Utah, Wyoming, New Mexico, or Arizona - Are they able to collect the compensation, "up to $15,000" granted to Colorado?

But Griz in Montana have to be managed as one population under ESA thanks to a federal judge. I guess a highway in Oregon creates distinct population segments but I guess hundreds of miles of space between NCDE and the GYE did not.

Moving wolves from one delisted side of the highway to the other listed side in Oregon seems like it would take precedence over translocating them to a new state 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Again, make it make sense.

But Griz in Montana have to be managed as one population under ESA thanks to a federal judge. I guess a highway in Oregon creates distinct population segments but I guess hundreds of miles of space between NCDE and the GYE did not.

Moving wolves from one delisted side of the highway to the other listed side in Oregon seems like it would take precedence over translocating them to a new state 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Again, make it make sense.
I think all Oak wanted was thank you for helping you understand why your initial comment inaccurate. You went another route. Many people take the approach of just changing the argument, we get it.

The recent Stockgrower and Cattleman injunction request was shot down in federal court.

My curiosity, if one of these famous Denver school woof named cute creatures with the CPW orange collars slaughter cattle/stock in Utah, Wyoming, New Mexico, or Arizona - Are they able to collect the compensation, "up to $15,000" granted to Colorado?
Did the Stockgrower and Cattleman suit ask for access to the Wolves GPS location so they could document the damage caused by the Wolves?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back