Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

ID refuses to send wolves to CO, joining WY and MT.

Interesting. Hunters support is dropping nationally because ID and WY refused to send wolves to CO? Or is it because hunters believe ballot initiatives are a poor vehicle to make and implement wildlife management decisions?
Only when said ballot initiatives go against the hunters desires. When ballot initiatives support their goals, well, that's just good clean politics.

I'll also say that if the various GF Departments and Governors don't start supporting and nominating decent commissioners and GF Directors, I believe the only chance and avenue we'll have is ballot initiatives and the Legislature.

You can only ignore those funding wildlife for so long before they find another route to get things done.

Only when said ballot initiatives go against the hunters desires. When ballot initiatives support their goals, well, that's just good clean politics.

I'll also say that if the various GF Departments and Governors don't start supporting and nominating decent commissioners and GF Directors, I believe the only chance and avenue we'll have is ballot initiatives and the Legislature.

You can only ignore those funding wildlife for so long before they find another route to get things done.
Absolutely. And that is where Colorado hunters find themselves currently.....

Meanwhile....

Her implied theme is, Hunters are poachers and poachers are hunters.

Lost in translation: Hunters are responsible for virtually all of the tips that leads to poaching busts and convictions. I guess that is another inconvenient truth.

No releases within 50 miles of state lines, as wolves can disperse 50-80 miles after release.
I wouldn't be surprised if some of them wander off well beyond the 50 miles.

"OR-93 was just over a year old when he was fitted with a radio collar in June 2020, near where he was born, south of Mt. Hood in Oregon. He left his pack and headed south, arriving in Modoc County, California in late January. He continued traveling swiftly, moving through more than a dozen counties by late March. He then turned west and continued to San Luis Obispo County,..."

I wouldn't be surprised if some of them wander off well beyond the 50 miles.

"OR-93 was just over a year old when he was fitted with a radio collar in June 2020, near where he was born, south of Mt. Hood in Oregon. He left his pack and headed south, arriving in Modoc County, California in late January. He continued traveling swiftly, moving through more than a dozen counties by late March. He then turned west and continued to San Luis Obispo County,..."
I remember that story...didn't end well for the wolf!

TeemingYellowishAmericancrocodile-max-1mb.gif

WOwa37.gif

RW54hj.gif

Last edited:
C'mon boys. The rhetoric around wolves even in this thread, and on just about every other thread on the internet is one that is

1.) dismissive of other people's ideas of wildlife management.
2.) Claims of doom, gloom and elk population crashes
3.) Attitudes of unacceptance of wolves in any form.
4.) Randy's skepticism is always couched in a way that seeks to find common ground, rather than further divide people.
5.) This thread will at some point have someone say something inherently idiotic like "try that in a small town."

When hunters are perceived as having no empathy for other critter, especially those that have large and robust advocacies, it just feeds the fire the anti-hunting acolytes truly want fed.

If hunters in Montana truly believed that ballot initiatives were the worst thing for wildlife, why did they pass the game farm initiative and I-161, as well as the weed tax imitative? Why did they show up enmass in 2021 & 2023 to defend that funding?

Hunters in Michigan passed Prop G in the 90's, kicking the legislature out of policy decisions around wildlife (simplified). Prop 5 in Utah in '98 made it so a 3/4 legislative majority had to vote affirmative to change wildlife policy.

Are ballot initiatives bad? Not inherently. It's the content of an initiative that makes it good or bad. The power of the people to have a direct link to changing the laws when the legislative branch refuses to react is a cornerstone of our democratic republic.

Will wolves cause untold management headaches for Colorado? You bet your sweet bippy they will. Does the hyper-politicization and propensity for making this an urban/rural divide culture make that management even more difficult?

Yes. Yes it does.

Does the political theater of states deciding pre-emptively they won't send wolves to a state that hasn't asked for then help diminish the reputation of hunters? Yes, especially when we openly celebrate a lack of collaboration in wildlife management.

Every one hates the political management of wildlife, until it's their "team" doing to politicizing.

@Oak is 100% spot on.

Let's give up boys, it's cooked. Corner crossing should have remained a dead horse... Thus sayeth a popular attorney assist podcast of the past, now updated to current.

How's that iceberg looking now? Dead ahead.

Fact is, it's still a fight whether you opt to focus on other aspects or not.

Never give up what you believe to be true.

Her implied theme is, Hunters are poachers and poachers are hunters.

Lost in translation: Hunters are responsible for virtually all of the tips that leads to poaching busts and convictions. I guess that is another inconvenient truth.
I love how trophy hunting gets thrown in with poaching. I would actually like to ask her to define trophy hunting to me although I hate the term as it can mean a myriad of different approaches some good some bad.

Minnesota has the largest wolf population in the lower 48 at around 3,000 and should be able to donate a couple thousand to colorado if they want.
Agreed. For having wolves in less than half of the state, the populations are out of control when compared to any other state.

AK has an estimated 7,000-11,000 wolves. They cover about 498,100 Square Miles. That's 1 wolf every 45 square mile.

MN has an estimated 3,000 wolves. They cover about 27,000 Square Miles. That's 1 wolf every 9 square miles... That's 5x the density of Alaska...

In conclusion, take 2,500 wolves from MN and ship them to the bottom of the ocean.

Let's give up boys, it's cooked. Corner crossing should have remained a dead horse... Thus sayeth a popular attorney assist podcast of the past, now updated to current.

How's that iceberg looking now? Dead ahead.

Fact is, it's still a fight whether you opt to focus on other aspects or not.

Never give up what you believe to be true.

Charles, you know I think the world of you, so please take this with the respect you've earned: Don't be a dork.

My point is that how we fight is more important than fighting. And corner crossing is far from being over. There are a lot of pitfalls ahead and while I'm glad that the Missourians had success, I'm not naïve enough to think that the challenge won't go unanswered across the Legislatures of the public land states.

Charles, you know I think the world of you, so please take this with the respect you've earned: Don't be a dork.

My point is that how we fight is more important than fighting. And corner crossing is far from being over. There are a lot of pitfalls ahead and while I'm glad that the Missourians had success, I'm not naïve enough to think that the challenge won't go unanswered across the Legislatures of the public land states.
The point is we don't stop. The point w/ corner crossing is it was contentious and Randy, with his attorney podcast felt it was likely not going to change...
Yet, because of continued focus - a major leap took place. No one here believes the fight is over though we sure jumped a hurdle where Randy revisited the outcome and found a different perspective.

I think the world of you too, Ben. Especially your clay work. 😉 Though I believe you understand my parallel point.

Many people oppose the forced re-introduction of wolves to Colorado... In fact is was right close to a 50/50 split.
If we move along and leave 50% of our fellow coloradoans high and dry, we disrespect their support of our MT endeavors, IMO.
And you, now in MI, it's great to continue my support of your involved elk project.

Point is we don't stop just because we got punched. We don't turn our backs on those 50% who oppose... Guarantee the international anti - esa woof lovers from international megaogolis city dwelling $$$ coffer filling lovers of cute woof pics sure would like to see that 50% sit on their duff...

You call that a dork move, I'd question your dorkiness to turn your back on sure a massive State population. 😉 No worries. I think you're one heck of an environmental asset that occasionally goes off track. 🤣

One thing I could never understand about anti-hunters, many of which are wolf lovers, is they have a problem with hunters shooting an elk, which usually ends in death in a matter of seconds but they are perfectly fine with a wolf hamstringing an elk and then the pack begins to tear it apart and eat it before its even dead.

This is great! I was stationed south of Kalispell in the early 1970's and idaho wanted Montana to plant wolves. Montana told them no, if they wanted them the could plant them in Idaho! As I understand it at some point Idaho did and a bunch ot their wolves swam the Snake river and established in Oregon and some of them have even been reported in Northern California. Little luck Idaho will develope and plant some pre-historic animals. Imagine an open season on saber tooth tigers!

Curious, aside from MT, ID, and WY buying Colorado more time to figure a way to thwart Woof International influence on Colorado, anything on the frying pan to attempt averting Colorado from their Titanic direction towards the iceberg, as Randy worded his sentiment?

We're not merely speaking of Colorado - Utah, New Mexico, and Wyoming from another front. One, The Center for Biological B.S. threatens to file suit to create a Colorado Buffer zone on Wyoming located National Forests. I'm sure another threat from B.S. will find direction towards Utah and New Mexico...

Also curious, who pays for incidents, such as this? Will there be an outdoor adventurer type stamp requirement to cover? State tax payers? Increase to R and NR tags? Combination? Will this $ cover for losses incurred in Utah, New Mexico, and WY? That type of $ sure sweetens the pot!

"Another major revision raised the cap on compensation for livestock lost to wolves. Under the final plan, a rancher could receive seven times the market value — up to $15,000 — for lost cattle, sheep, working dogs or other domesticated animals. The same cap applies to related veterinary expenses, which means a rancher could receive a maximum of $30,000 per animal."

Before Oregon and (or) Washington send woofs off to Colorado what's cooking to turn Colorado Titanic's course?

@Oak @Zach @elkduds @ whomever may be in the know?

DENVER – In a one-year agreement announced today between Colorado Parks and Wildlife and Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, Oregon will be a source for up to 10 wolves for the Colorado gray wolf reintroduction effort. These wolves will be captured and translocated between December 2023 and March 2024.

Read more

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back