Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

I drew a once in a lifetime sheep tag at 25. Now what?

Hock, I will add, engage with and listen to Oak. He has all the connections you need and want. For sure become a RMBS member and you will probably have some who are even willing to come along and help with the hunt.
If you go prepared, you probably won't need many days to find a good ram. The baby is a huge deal, but I'm guessing it won't be a big problem.
Congrats again man. Amazing times ahead.

Dude you have a storyline of epic proportions. Pitch it to OnX, GOhunt, Eastman's, all the Influencer Bros, etc. ( ok I'm kidding about most of this)

But...you do have a compelling setup to the story, and You might be surprised at the amount of help that will come your way. Just don't get hung up to much on Size and Manner of the hunt...ie...I want to kill my OIL Bighorn with my Great Grandfather's smoothbore flintlock in this particular mountain range wearing a leather breechclout and paddling a canoe made out of birchbark I built with my own two hands...

By the same token don't feel like this is your free pass to buy a new quarter mile rifle with top of the line optics and head to toe camo system. Borrow what you have to in terms of gear to make it happen, and spend ruthlessly to be sure your wife and mother to be is safe, comfortable and in a good frame of mind while you are on your adventure. Spend on tickets to get her family to be with her while you are gone, Spend on hiring contractors or handymen to finish any must do projects. Spend the money on a communication system that makes her comfortable. Set up a meal train if necessary....You need her to continue to be your greatest cheerleader.

This will also allow you to commit yourself wholeheartedly to the mission of finding and killing a DBH that you will look at with fondness as you are feeding your little colicky bundle of joy this Spring..

I would agree with @rmyoung1 and remove the month of October from your mind for anything sheep related. Scout as much as you can before the baby comes and mentally prepare for not getting to be out there with a gun nearly as much as you should or would like. Maybe only the latter half of November.

You and your wife will likely both be surprised at how difficult things become once that baby arrives and for how long it stays that way. You may not get nearly as much time as either of you think or hope you will be able to get.

First baby... your wife doesn't even understand how difficult this will be, trust me, and neither do you. Nobody does until the end of month one with their first child. Even though she understand how important this is for you and it's OIL, once the baby arrives everyone's mental state will change, just be prepared for that and do everything she says and asks of you.

If you have family nearby lean on them.

You might have to rush this hunt and shoot a ram quickly or maybe not. You have be very mentally prepared for the former. Better to shoot just anything you can and get back home rather than be absent for weeks souring your wife on hunting for the rest of your life by totally dropping the ball and leaving her alone with a new baby, even if she "thinks" it's okay.

This is why I didn't apply for MSG when I knew my son was coming that same fall and why I didn't apply for it this year ;)
I would want to be married to someone who would not understand what the tag is and why it is important to do it justice. To go and just shoot a ram to be done is pretty stupid. Deer? Elk? Depends on where Maybe but not a ram.

Plenty of time to even the scale with her. Send her away for a girls weekend, spa/resort whatever. My wife would push me out the door and say have at it, she would know I would spend the next 50yrs making up for it.
Same fine lady that worked a crap load of overtime to buy me swarovski binos for my 1st desert hunt.
#blessedwithagreatwife.

I would want to be married to someone who would not understand what the tag is and why it is important to do it justice. To go and just shoot a ram to be done is pretty stupid. Deer? Elk? Depends on where Maybe but not a ram.

These threads always expose those without children.

Equally as, really more, stupid to bail on a nursing mom if she needs you - the very definition of being a failure of a man.

Last edited:
I must have married a "tougher" woman or I am a failure of a man? I have had 2 children during deer and elk season and hunted plenty on otc tags when they were born. I have been with my wife 30 years and my kids are teenagers and young adults. Opinions on both sides seem dramatic. I think the op will have no problem taking care of the wife and baby and hunting the tag well. Enjoy a truly once in a lifetime tag!

I would agree with @rmyoung1 and remove the month of October from your mind for anything sheep related. Scout as much as you can before the baby comes and mentally prepare for not getting to be out there with a gun nearly as much as you should or would like. Maybe only the latter half of November.

You and your wife will likely both be surprised at how difficult things become once that baby arrives and for how long it stays that way. You may not get nearly as much time as either of you think or hope you will be able to get.

First baby... your wife doesn't even understand how difficult this will be, trust me, and neither do you. Nobody does until the end of month one with their first child. Even though she understand how important this is for you and it's OIL, once the baby arrives everyone's mental state will change, just be prepared for that and do everything she says and asks of you.

If you have family nearby lean on them.

You might have to rush this hunt and shoot a ram quickly or maybe not. You have be very mentally prepared for the former. Better to shoot just anything you can and get back home rather than be absent for weeks souring your wife on hunting for the rest of your life by totally dropping the ball and leaving her alone with a new baby, even if she "thinks" it's okay.

This is why I didn't apply for MSG when I knew my son was coming that same fall and why I didn't apply for it this year ;)
Glad to see advice like this on here lol

Your child is only little once, and the wife might be on board now but that can change overnight. Hormones and Post-Partum are a real thing.

Take care of your wife and baby first and foremost.

I must have married a "tougher" woman or I am a failure of a man? I have had 2 children during deer and elk season and hunted plenty on otc tags when they were born. I have been with my wife 30 years and my kids are teenagers and young adults. Opinions on both sides seem dramatic. I think the op will have no problem taking care of the wife and baby and hunting the tag well. Enjoy a truly once in a lifetime tag!

my son was born in the fall and i filled the freezer that same fall. big deal.

that doesn't mean i wasn't there for my wife when she needed it most that fall and if the chips fell differently and she needed me to not hunt at all to help out than that's what i would've done. that's what any man should do.

i think OP can make it happen and shoot a nice ram. the point is, family comes before hunting, every time, any tag.

men who decided to get married and have children and don't put their family first are failures.

I’m fiercely DIY, but I’d consider hiring a guide. It will shift almost all of the stress of “will I harvest a ram” off of you and you’ll be able enjoy the whole experience a bit more.

my son was born in the fall and i filled the freezer that same fall. big deal.

that doesn't mean i wasn't there for my wife when she needed it most that fall and if the chips fell differently and she needed me to not hunt at all to help out than that's what i would've done. that's what any man should do.

i think OP can make it happen and shoot a nice ram. the point is, family comes before hunting, every time, any tag.

men who decided to get married and have children and don't put their family first are failures.
I agree 100 percent. Probably worded m y post poorly. Just wanted to take pressure of op. Seemed like A lot of warnings on being able to hunt with the new baby. Just wanted to encourage the tag holder that he can do the hunt right and still put his family first

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back