Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hunting in Idaho at 10

idfishnhunt made some very valid comments to my way of thinking.
I will not be taking my 10-year old grandson out to shoot something. He can come along, but will not be carrying, nor have a weapon put in his hands. He is one of those youngsters who is always thinking of how far, how fast, how high.... He does not understand the concept of consequences because that was not instilled in him by his parents. Sad, but true.
He and I have some work ahead.

Thanks for this info. I did some reading last night on their backgrounds, amongst other topics. I'm sure it's not easy, and I can see your points. I would be more in favor of having the licenses and tags raised some and continuing on working on the management of the game herds, then of coming up with creative ideas to make money...but like you pointed out, the politics of it all sometimes takes precedence.

I like the mentoring idea, and was not against this when it was implemented. I don't doubt there are responsible parents out there, some of which have chimed in here already, and also myself...that would NOT take advantage of this change. But I also know there are plenty of people out there that their voices will not be heard that will without a second thought fill their youth's tag. And how can this not make an impact on the game herds when more than likely the tags that these individuals fill for their youth will probably be a doe or cow tag just because they pose more of an opportunity when out in the field, especially when you have to bring your youth along with you to make sure they tag it.

Just saying...I know there are plenty of trustworthy parents and hunters out there, but there are also those that aren't. I think this will have an impact on the youth draws...but also on the trophy unit draws when parents will put their kid in...and end up shooting the animal. Maybe they shouldn't be allowed to put in for draws, just hunt general hunts...until they turn 12. Keep the draw tags transferable...if you really want your 10 year old on that trophy buck, then feel free to give them the tag after you draw it.

This brings me back to the whole .243 thread too...are most 10 year olds capable of shooting a weapon with a load that will ethically kill an elk if that is what they are hunting? What about when you get something down...I'm pretty sure a 10 year old isn't packing an elk quarter out, are you going to leave your 10 year old in the woods or back at the rig or are they going to have enough stamina to follow you back and forth as you haul out each load...or even want to after they get exhausted, which doesn't take long for a 10 year old. Are you going to leave them with the gun back at your car alone while you are packing it out? I know I'm not leaving my 10 year old alone with a gun anywhere, whether they passed hunters safety or not. Kids do stupid things sometimes, cause they are kids, it's not worth taking the chance.

Just small points I've thought of besides the bigger picture. I'm sure in some cases the execution of this whole process will work out...but I'm just giving some worst case scenarios that come to mind. Granted my three older kids are all girls...so maybe a 10 year old boy is a lot more capable of physically doing these things.

And then there is always the choice that you make as a responsible parent on whether or not you will have your child hunt at that age...just because they can. That is the choice some of us on here as responsible hunters will choose correctly...but most of what I said refers to those that aren't making that smart decision. Seems like this proposal should cover the majority, which means it will probably need quite a few provisions in it to make sure it makes everyone happy, and isn't a detrimental threat to our game herds.

A. A poacher is a poacher, regardless of opportunity. I bet F&G biologists will tell you letting 10 year olds hunt has little impact on the populations, statistically.

B. Know your kid. My 10 year old has big game hunted with me for several years - on some tough elk and deer hunts. He was with me when I shot my deer 4.5 miles from the road - and packed out his share of the buck. He's also packed out elk front quarters for me in the past. He's the one member of my family I want to glass game with me. He finds game while glassing instead of waiting for me to show it to them. Overall, he's nothing more than a kid whose father gave him a chance to tag along and learn.

C. He can shoot his mom's 257 Roberts, which will kill all of Idaho's big game animals.

I think you're see way too many ghosts with this proposal. Idaho is an opportunity state. Giving 10 year olds a chance to hunt, under their parents guidance, is a good idea.

Here is a pic of my little one with the pig she shot in Texas last year on her first hunt at 9. Before she was allowed to go out on the hunt she had to show me that she had a grasp of all of the related concepts (death, harvest and use of the meat and a discussion on the particular species we were hunting) and that her marksmanship was up to scratch. She further had to demonstrate to the ranch owner her gun safety and marksmanship skills (including a 2" group at 100m :) ). Finally, as we sat in the blind we quietly went over what we were observing and what was happening with the day. Once the pig showed itself she had to wait almost a half an hour for a shot as a young buck also entered the sendero and was in 'line of shot". The time came and she double lunged this sow at 90yds. While this isn't exactly the same scenario as a "Western" hunt, we all know the limitations of our kids and should be responsible for ensuring they stay within them. What I can say is that not a week goes by that she doesn't want to talk about the hunt with me and voice her frustration with not being able to hunt big game with me in CO yet. I understand the possible problems but beleive that this is a good thing. The misappropriation of tags (kids, wives etc) has little to do with a two year age difference and the ability to get and keep youngsters in the woods is a huge upside.

Attachments

• Kikis pig.jpg
    Kikis pig.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 365
Oh yeah, she also helped butcher the hog (taking pics the whole time) and is EXTREMELY proud when "her hog" feeds the family :)

I like all of the pros and cons that have been brought up. I am truly conflicted on this.
I feel the need to assign a % to decide. For instance at what age can 75% of kids safely handle a firearm and hunt? Although I know a few 10 year olds who probably can I doubt the vast majority can.
I'm all for the mentoring idea but let's be realistic the same people who would have the bad judgement to take a child out to hunt at too early of an age are the people who would allow them to take questionable shots and participate in a dangerous manner. So all we are really doing is putting an adult next to the youth so someone is there who can be held accountable after the fact.
If a youth hunter were to accidentally shoot someone it would not only permanently alter the life of the victim but it would permanently alter the life of the shooter as well.

I'm afraid if I had a 10 year old I would feel a very strong pull to get them out in the field with a gun in their hand whether they were ready or not.

I think you're see way too many ghosts with this proposal. Idaho is an opportunity state. Giving 10 year olds a chance to hunt, under their parents guidance, is a good idea.

I don't think they are ghosts. I think they are genuine concerns. It is awesome your son is as far along as he is, but I don't believe your son is the norm. The mentor tag program would be the way to go with children such as yours.

I can't wrap my mind around why kids have to carry a gun at 10 to keep them interested in the woods. If they aren't interested in going at 10 because they can't carry a gun, then are they truly ready? Or are they interested only in the shooting/killing? If he/she doesn't want to go because they can't carry, then mom and dad are not doing it right, or the kid just isn't interested for the right reasons. Patience and ability is a lot different between the ages of 10 and 12...maybe not for all, but for most.

A. A poacher is a poacher, regardless of opportunity. I bet F&G biologists will tell you letting 10 year olds hunt has little impact on the populations, statistically.

B. Know your kid. My 10 year old has big game hunted with me for several years - on some tough elk and deer hunts. He was with me when I shot my deer 4.5 miles from the road - and packed out his share of the buck. He's also packed out elk front quarters for me in the past. He's the one member of my family I want to glass game with me. He finds game while glassing instead of waiting for me to show it to them. Overall, he's nothing more than a kid whose father gave him a chance to tag along and learn.

C. He can shoot his mom's 257 Roberts, which will kill all of Idaho's big game animals.

Like I pointed out...most that chime in on here will be responsible parents and if this proposal comes to light, then they will make the right choice based on if they think their child is mentally and physically capable of doing the hunt.

I was only trying to bring up some points based on things that I would be thinking about when or if it came time for me to personally make this decision, which I know my circumstances are totally different then anyone elses. I'm not trying to group everyone together by any means. It's easy to see some of you get to spend an enormous amount of time with your child teaching them some great ethics, and outdoor responsibility which is great. I have 5 kids ranging from 12 down to 5, so I'm pretty busy splitting up time between all of them. I usually take at least one of them with me whenever I do something, most times two of them, but sibling rivalry is a killer!

Hopefully I didn't come off and brush anyone the wrong way, I was just trying to voice my opinion...not directed at anyone in particular, just what I see as some of the negatives. Obviously we all see the positives of this action if we as responsible parents are able to take a child out that is ready to be a young sportsman.

I thought IDBugler took his boy to Oregon to shoot a deer. .

I'm not sure if I like the idea or not. I really haven't looked into it much. I guess it just depends on how they do it? For instance in Oregon I had to draw the tag and mentor Kawika. So he actually shot my deer. I would be in favor of that in Idaho. Maybe even just opening up does/cows etc to the kids 10 and 11. I'm all for getting kids out in the hills, as a kid I don't think they care what they hunt. I may be wrong but for some reason I would see a lot more lower age class bucks getting shot.

It's good to know that dink isn't the only one who searches his name on HT daily.;)

10-year olds in Idaho can hunt small game now. Asking if they kid is ready to hunt is really irrelevant. They can already hunt, just not big game.

My kids first pheasant this fall. He stoned it at 40 yards.

Clay_Pheasant_Correct.jpg

I asked one of the hunters ed instructors I work with what his take on this was. He said he has had 9 and 10 year olds in his class before and for the most part they were every bit as capable/careful as the older kids and sometimes more. He attributed this to the parents who worked with their kids and made hunting important. Will lowering the age change this? Maybe it will or maybe it won't.

I agree! Just because they can doesn't mean you have to allow them.
As far as many of those "ghosts" brought up, that is up to the parent/mentor to mitigate. Even though he wasn't shooting, when I took my son with me this fall I hunted differently than if I was on my own or with an adult partner. Work within their abilities and not yours and everything will be fine. To my knowledge, there has been little to no trouble or impact with youth hunting where its allowed. I think the reason it's different in some of the western states is that it bucks tradition and game numbers/opportunity are more limited. The latter leads to folks not wanting more "competition".

Just saw on facebook that Steven Rinella is going to be on Fox News at 2:35 pm ET to discuss this issue.

I have to admit, I don't understand how this is a national story. I don't have cable anymore, but I wonder if he'll get a plug for his streaming video's that are now for sale online.

No plug not even much of an interview/debate Rinella was for it, the comic made a joke or two and the British Special Forces guy said 21 should be the minimum age, took a shot at Rinella about hunting unarmed animals and lost credibility when he argued the culture of the UK is no different than the culture in the US when it comes to hunting and how huge hunting is in the UK.

No plug not even much of an interview/debate Rinella was for it, the comic made a joke or two and the British Special Forces guy said 21 should be the minimum age, took a shot at Rinella about hunting unarmed animals and lost credibility when he argued the culture of the UK is no different than the culture in the US when it comes to hunting and how huge hunting is in the UK.

Thanks for the info. It's just such a weird thing to have a panel discussion about on a major news network.

Thanks for the info. It's just such a weird thing to have a panel discussion about on a major news network.

With the panel being a comedian, a special forces operative, and an actual hunter. If that wasn't enough they didn't even let a debate occur and the host had them jumping between topics like an ADHD kid standing between something shiney and a bicycle after eating a pack of skittles. Fox TV continues to impress me.

I would have loved for Rinella to bring up the NAM compared to hunting in Britain if that ditz of a host would have let him.

Did any of you see the moose episode last night? He almost paid the BIG BILL for impatient.

Caught the tail end of it when they were cooking it up. By the way he was talking it sounds like he got quite a thrill.

Let me understand this- 18 to enlist - 21 to drink a beer - 10 to carry 30-06 in Idaho
Sounds about right

Missouri allows hunters as young as 6 to pursue big game with a mentor. There is no minimum age to hunt small game. At age 11, with hunter certification, small or big game can be hunted without a mentor.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back