Hunting in Idaho at 10

6speed

Yesterday Fish and Game introduced legislation to lower the hunting age from 12 to 10 with a mentor. The bill number will be available once it is printed.

Yesterday Fish and Game introduced legislation to lower the hunting age from 12 to 10 with a mentor. The bill number will be available once it is printed.

Get some popcorn. Here we go again. Different State - Same story.

Oh man...I was waiting for someone to post this up. It's just one thing after another with IDFG these days.

Thought the same thing when I read it on the statesman today. License fee locks, 2-zone elk, lowered hunting age. Any guesses what they'll propose next?

I am glad they are evolving since the last 10 year elk plan from '99 though and not sitting on their hands.

Thought the same thing when I read it on the statesman today. License fee locks, 2-zone elk, lowered hunting age. Any guesses what they'll propose next?

I am glad they are evolving since the last 10 year elk plan from '99 though and not sitting on their hands.

I'm trying to fathom any other ridiculous notions they might have. If anything these changes should be a wake up call for more people to get involved and going to meetings, here is a link to the 2014 schedule

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/about/commission/?getPage=184

I'm guilty of really not keeping up with this sort of stuff, but now that my kids are growing up and starting to hunt it has started me getting a lot more interested. Like are any of these commissioners actually hunters or fisherman or just elected based on them having degrees in fields related to biology or wilderness, etc. I don't know...but I will be spending more time finding out.

It's just one thing after another lately. Like a few years ago when they lowered the upland game limits for a year and pushed the season to start in October, then changed it back because the public had an uproar...just as an example. If anyone read about that whole ordeal then they know how the powers that be got their info, and made their choices. My point being...no one has to just sit idly by and accept everything they do, including myself, without speaking up and saying something...either in writing or publicly at a meeting. These guys are going a little crazy lately it seems like, like they think they have to change things every year to show us they are doing stuff.

I'm done...I could type a book. I missed the thread that they had going on for Montana and this issue, if anyone has a link...I'd like to read it, thanks.

What's wrong with getting younger kids involved with big game? Sure there will be some that go out and aren't ready but hopefully the parents will use good judgement. Yes, there will be parents who fill the kids' tag. But husbands do that today.
I don't see much increased harvestfor most hunts; maybe easy doe hunts which I am all for (younger kids hunting). In my opinion some units in Idaho could use some increased Doe harvest.
Is it a scheme to put more money into the coffers? Sure.
Will problems arise? You betcha.
In my opinion the benefits outweigh the costs.

Having children, I'm all for it. The proposal allowing kids at age 10 to hunt require that they be with a licensed adult until age 12. Gives the child more time to learn from his/her mentor and give me as a dad more time with my kids pursuing big game.

Aren't there other states that allow kids at age 10 to hunt big game? I thought IDBugler took his boy to Oregon to shoot a deer. my oldest is a ways away from 10 yet so I have not looked into it but I had planned on putting him in for states that did allow 10 yr olds to hunt big game. If i'm going to hunt other states with my kids then why not Idaho too.

What's wrong with getting younger kids involved with big game? Sure there will be some that go out and aren't ready but hopefully the parents will use good judgement. Yes, there will be parents who fill the kids' tag. But husbands do that today.
I don't see much increased harvestfor most hunts; maybe easy doe hunts which I am all for (younger kids hunting). In my opinion some units in Idaho could use some increased Doe harvest.
Fully agree! Though I doubt I'll be able to get my son's to ID to hunt before they are 10, I think it's a good move. Unless I can get my wife to have a huge change of heart of where we live! (fingers crossed but not holding my breath). I don't see the harm in changing the age. IMO most that will make the change a problem are a problem now anyway.

I plan on practicing shooting and other aspects of responsible hunting with my oldest this summer. If he meets my requirements I'll be sitting next to him this hunting season with him as the designated shooter. He turns 7 in June. However, if he doesn't meet my expectations, he'll get to watch again this year and will know why.

I'm not sure if I like the idea or not. I really haven't looked into it much. I guess it just depends on how they do it? For instance in Oregon I had to draw the tag and mentor Kawika. So he actually shot my deer. I would be in favor of that in Idaho. Maybe even just opening up does/cows etc to the kids 10 and 11. I'm all for getting kids out in the hills, as a kid I don't think they care what they hunt. I may be wrong but for some reason I would see a lot more lower age class bucks getting shot.

I shot my first deer (a doe) when I was 10 with a bow, and killed my first turkey when I was 12 and haven't looked back since. Of course, it also helped that I have a father who grew up hunting and trapping to fed the family since he was old enough to walk. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, as long as there is a safety course involved and that the parents are responsible people that mentor the kid in the right way and wrong way to hunt ethically. I realize that this is the major bottle neck with that issue. My wife is a school teacher so I know that the home life of a lot of kids isn't like it was when I was growing up. Just my $0.02.

Of course a ten year old could pursue and kill a critter safely, as many have pointed out in the last 3 or so threads relating to this topic. A ten year old is probably capable of appreciating the gravity of the willful destruction of something beautiful for nothing other than personal reasons. A ten year old can probably understand and see their own place in over 100 years of wildlife management - those who recognized the near extinction of what we now take to the hills for on a yearly basis, those in the past who refrained from hunting for decades so that animals can recover, and those who pursue today under a socially-contracted code of ethics.

Ten year olds all over can probably grasp these things, which I would argue, must be understood to achieve a satisfactory appreciation of our actions, and coherent defense of our lifestyles.

The issue is, the closer a hunter's age to their own birth, the higher the probability that they will not be capable of grasping these concepts. I know I couldn't have at ten having only been around a short while. So the issue really is what we decide is an acceptable threshold for a probability. Can someone who has been on the earth for only decade, and has understood language and abstract concepts for even less, really understand what the hell they are doing when they pull the trigger? Should it just be for fun at that age, without any deeper understanding?

I support the idea with the mentoring aspect.

Idfishnhunt, commissioners are not elected they are appointed by the governor and approved by the legislature. As far as I know the current commission including 2 awaiting confirmation are all hunters and have varying backgrounds generally not rooted in biology or wildlife.

This commission will be trying to do more with less. Budget cuts arn't always the answer so new funding mechanisms will continue to be a priority. They knew a fee increase would be hard to put through the legislature as our elected officials in the statehouse are worried they might lose a vote by increasing license prices. Anyone who objects to F&G coming up with new funding ideas can do more to stop it by contacting their local representatives and senators and demand all tag and license fees be doubled for residents. Until the fees come up, without some buy every year price lock, creativity will be the funding answer.

Last edited:
I too am in favor of it. And like Howa said, yes there will be some problems but I think (hope) the majority of 10yr olds taken in the field will have a good mentor and know if the child is mature enough. Not just be taken out two years sooner to shoot a "stud". I think doe/cow tags would be good.

In my opinion the #1 deterrent I've seen with 100's of kids, their parents and the outdoors is TIME. The kids want to hunt, the dads either hunt or used to hunt and the reason they aren't outdoors is practice every week day, a game or two on Saturdays and practice again on Sunday. If that's not bad enough there are "speed" camps, training camps, you name it in between. Heaven forbid little Timmy throws his scholarship, draft day and future away by going to deer camp with dad and grandpa instead of practice.

So hopefully two extra years will help some more young people get outdoors. Though nothing wrong with just bringing them along without having to tag something. I took my son elk hunting for three years before he was legal to hunt and when he finally could he hit the ground running. Surprisingly I don't notice a decrease in his sports ability from missing a few games.

Personally I kind of like the idea of the mentor, but I'm not for the age change, I have four kids, three of them are over ten and were not ready at ten, my fault? Maybe, but most of us here all started hunting birds at ten and big game at 12. Why should it be different now? I was with my dad on his big game hunts from the time I was 7 or 8 and looked forward to it every year even if I couldn't carry a rifle.

I see this affecting the youth hunt drawing odds. And that sucks for my kids who had to wait until they were twelve to put in. More does/fawns will likely end up being shot. Why can't IDF&G focus on improving our herds before they worry about more opportunity (lowering age and 2-zone elk)?

Having the hunts be mentored is the way to do it. I also like the idea of having kids aged 10 and 11 being able to shoot does or cows only. I think this would cut down on dad/sibling filling the tag with an antlered animal.
My 6 year old has been hunting with mom and myself since she was 2. I know she understands what happens when the trigger is pulled and what occurs. She was with mom when mom shot her moose this year and appreciated the fact that the animal was "killed" to feed us.(she won't let us shoot baby animals only moms and dads) haha. I slowly am teaching her about wildlife management on all of our expeditions. I know if she decides to hunt when she is 10 she will almost fully understand the reality of harvesting an animal. All of this comes down to one thing and that is the parent.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Not having read the proposal, perhaps some of my concerns have already been addressed. Are all areas open to the lower age limits, assume so but is that a smart decision. Assume it allows for taking of bucks/bulls, what about the ratios and age class. How do they plan on handling the adults that hunt on the child's tag, already a concern. Is a 10yr able to literally carry their own weight, I'm concerned that meat will get left in the field because dad can carry no more. If there is an accident, what will the child do. Some of my favorite memories are hunting as a child with my father and family; hunts were all I did was walk, watch, and play bird dog. You don't need a tag in your pocket to have these experiences.

My current prediction is that my 5 year old will have to wait until he's 12, but my three year old will be ready at 10. So, if my math's correct I'll have to have a couple of new guns bought by the fall of 2021.

I gotta admit I hunted in Idaho at age 9 and 10 when the legal age was 12. I followed my dad around with an empty 410 and then shot the heads off of grouse. Learned a lot about gun safety and had a lot of good times with dad. At the same time, as the father of a 9 year old, I doubt many that young have the emotional maturity to deal with killing bigger game. I doubt many can handle a rifle adequate for an elk, and many would bang away at one with a 243 or something. IMO, I would support closely supervised hunts for 10 year olds for small game, maybe does, and cap it there. Give 'em something else to look forward to.

I support the idea with the mentoring aspect.

Idfishnhunt, commissioners are not elected they are appointed by the governor and approved by the legislature. As far as I know the current commission including 2 awaiting confirmation are all hunters and have varying backgrounds generally not rooted in biology or wildlife.

This commission will be trying to do more with less. Budget cuts arn't always the answer so new funding mechanisms will continue to be a priority. They knew a fee increase would be hard to put through the legislature as our elected officials in the statehouse are worried they might lose a vote by increasing license prices. Anyone who objects to F&G coming up with new funding ideas can do more to stop it by contacting their local representatives and senators and demand all tag and license fees be doubled for residents. Until the fees come up, without some buy every year price lock, creativity will be the funding answer.

Thanks for this info. I did some reading last night on their backgrounds, amongst other topics. I'm sure it's not easy, and I can see your points. I would be more in favor of having the licenses and tags raised some and continuing on working on the management of the game herds, then of coming up with creative ideas to make money...but like you pointed out, the politics of it all sometimes takes precedence.

I like the mentoring idea, and was not against this when it was implemented. I don't doubt there are responsible parents out there, some of which have chimed in here already, and also myself...that would NOT take advantage of this change. But I also know there are plenty of people out there that their voices will not be heard that will without a second thought fill their youth's tag. And how can this not make an impact on the game herds when more than likely the tags that these individuals fill for their youth will probably be a doe or cow tag just because they pose more of an opportunity when out in the field, especially when you have to bring your youth along with you to make sure they tag it.

Just saying...I know there are plenty of trustworthy parents and hunters out there, but there are also those that aren't. I think this will have an impact on the youth draws...but also on the trophy unit draws when parents will put their kid in...and end up shooting the animal. Maybe they shouldn't be allowed to put in for draws, just hunt general hunts...until they turn 12. Keep the draw tags transferable...if you really want your 10 year old on that trophy buck, then feel free to give them the tag after you draw it.

This brings me back to the whole .243 thread too...are most 10 year olds capable of shooting a weapon with a load that will ethically kill an elk if that is what they are hunting? What about when you get something down...I'm pretty sure a 10 year old isn't packing an elk quarter out, are you going to leave your 10 year old in the woods or back at the rig or are they going to have enough stamina to follow you back and forth as you haul out each load...or even want to after they get exhausted, which doesn't take long for a 10 year old. Are you going to leave them with the gun back at your car alone while you are packing it out? I know I'm not leaving my 10 year old alone with a gun anywhere, whether they passed hunters safety or not. Kids do stupid things sometimes, cause they are kids, it's not worth taking the chance.

Just small points I've thought of besides the bigger picture. I'm sure in some cases the execution of this whole process will work out...but I'm just giving some worst case scenarios that come to mind. Granted my three older kids are all girls...so maybe a 10 year old boy is a lot more capable of physically doing these things.

And then there is always the choice that you make as a responsible parent on whether or not you will have your child hunt at that age...just because they can. That is the choice some of us on here as responsible hunters will choose correctly...but most of what I said refers to those that aren't making that smart decision. Seems like this proposal should cover the majority, which means it will probably need quite a few provisions in it to make sure it makes everyone happy, and isn't a detrimental threat to our game herds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back