Hunting in Idaho at 10

anyone who thinks kids are ready at 12 years of age should teach hunters ed to 11 and 12 year olds. Some may be ready earlier, but in my case 50 years ago, the wait just made it all the better. thumbs up on ben longs post above.

Baerman, here in SC, my step-grandson was taking a stand by himself on dog drives for deer at age 8. Actually, when he was 5 I'd let him sit on his own were I could watch him. Down here we don't have any minimum age requirements, other than having to pass the Hunter Safety Course by the age of 16, when a license is required. This past season was the first year he had to have a license, and the first season since age 10 that he didn't get to kill a deer.

Idaho does NOT want to let this happen!!!!!! If you let 10 year olds hunt, there will be scores of maimed elk, deer, and fuzzy bunnies littering the ravines and ridges. Scientific polls conducted in other states have indicated that there would be a rapid reduction in the height of the atmosphere if children under the age of ten hunted big game. We in Montana have concluded this, so it must be so. Ignore my warnings at great peril of life, limb and continued existence for all of humanity! However, some states east of the Mississippi have had a VERY LIMITED amount of success with allowing mentored hunting. It has been observed that mentored hunters have killed slightly more deer than innocent bystanders. Vagrancy and community destruction have risen only slightly in those states since the advent of mentored hunting.
Come on people. What is next???? Letting eight year olds hunt deer with muzzleloaders??? Have you no sense of right and wrong?????

Attachments

• Dwayne and Jenn wedding, Timothy's deer 019.jpg
    Dwayne and Jenn wedding, Timothy's deer 019.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 132
Idaho does NOT want to let this happen!!!!!! If you let 10 year olds hunt, there will be scores of maimed elk, deer, and fuzzy bunnies littering the ravines and ridges. Scientific polls conducted in other states have indicated that there would be a rapid reduction in the height of the atmosphere if children under the age of ten hunted big game. We in Montana have concluded this, so it must be so. Ignore my warnings at great peril of life, limb and continued existence for all of humanity! However, some states east of the Mississippi have had a VERY LIMITED amount of success with allowing mentored hunting. It has been observed that mentored hunters have killed slightly more deer than innocent bystanders. Vagrancy and community destruction have risen only slightly in those states since the advent of mentored hunting.
Come on people. What is next???? Letting eight year olds hunt deer with muzzleloaders??? Have you no sense of right and wrong?????
All true! :D The resistance to this in the western states is baffling to me. Guess folks "back East" are just better hunting mentors... :eek: :D

For those of you who feel anyone less than 12 should be hunting I would encourage them to teach a hunters safety class or two. Some may be ready, but for every one that is there is 9 that are not. And for those that are not their mentors probably are not. Remember they are out in the woods also. 50 years ago part of what made my first year so special was the wait. I probably was ready at 10, but had to wait till 12. had fun shooting rabbits and gophers, Just tagging along, packing a .22 and being part of the hunt is also hunting.

I wish I had a could have a video of past experiences witnessing elk fever. Turns groups of adults into 10 year olds at times. could not imagine throwing in actual 10 year olds in the mix. fodder for the antis

I wish I had a could have a video of past experiences witnessing elk fever. Turns groups of adults into 10 year olds at times. could not imagine throwing in actual 10 year olds in the mix. fodder for the antis

It's been established that several states allow hunters 10 and younger how is Idaho changing to 10 fodder for the antis?

You say if someone taught hunters ed they would be against the change. I have spoken with our local instructors and got the same answers as the one I posted above. Some 10 year olds should not be allowed to hunt but should that keep all 10 year olds from having the opportunity? How about putting a maximum age on hunting, at some point we will all lose our ability to pack as much, see as well and hold as steady. How limiting would you like our hunting regulations to be when it comes to age?

Lots of states have youth/mentor hunting programs and I have yet to read the doom and gloom that so many profess will happen.

PS- The smilie faces often indicate a joke or sarcasm, FWIW...

Sorry, guess I need a cheat sheet on my screen for smilies. My main complaint in my state is every two years I sit in on the MTFWP meetings and listen to all the reduced opportunity coming our way. I see no need to introduce more hunters into the sport before our state mandated age while our game populations are in decline. I've said it before, why does a kid have to kill at earlier and earlier ages to get involved in our sport? It's not an East vs West issue. mtmuley

So it's a greed thing? Are you really concerned with the added pressure of an extra 2 year group of hunters or are you against new hunters in general?

A greed thing? Jeezus. I have kids 6speed. Yes, I am concerned with added pressure in certain areas of my state. No, I am not against new hunters. You tell me. Why do kids need to kill at 10 years old as opposed to 12? mtmuley

So it's a greed thing? Are you really concerned with the added pressure of an extra 2 year group of hunters or are you against new hunters in general?

Having coached kids at that age for longer than most guys age on this forum I can tell you the "majority" just do not have the mental and physical development necessary. Now should we hold the minority back because they are capable. Well what are the laws on age for driving, drinking, being in the draft, smoking etc., etc.
Now if you are a farm or ranch kid, odds are they have had more exposure in the outdoors than equivalent city kids. All kids and their mentors are and will be different but you can not discriminate so one law has to fit everybody.
This is one of them "feel good laws" and if you were to be against it then you get blamed for not being for the kids, a greedy game hog that don't want more competition, fear of more does shot etc.
If someone thinks that starting a youth at 10 versus 12 is going to get them MORE interested in hunting then I have some great investments I would like you to buy into..
As far as other states are doing it - other states do a lot of things different and I could care less as long as it isn't forced down my throat.
Bottom line is what is the overall benefit of changing the beginning age to 10 years old - there is none that is not an emotional answer.

you guys should be proud of yourselves for raising kids that enjoy the hunt as much as you do. You definitely should pat yourselves on the back. they are an anomaly in todays world. I taught hunters ed for approximately 12 years. I base my opinions on that experience. hunters ed instructors this area lobbied hard against this legislation such as this in Mt.
My Kids were rurally raised and had considerably more experience driving than most. Should we make allowances for these kids to drive earlier than others? Would you like to be on the road when they are?

My Kids were rurally raised and had considerably more experience driving than most. Should we make allowances for these kids to drive earlier than others? Would you like to be on the road when they are?

In Idaho those kids can drive with a mentor at 14 1/2 so I guess the answer would be yes.

I am having a hard time believing the increase will be that noticable in terms of pressure. This will only affect kids age 10 to 12 who have a mentor willing to take them. They won't be handing out deer tags in class. Will the benefits of allowing kids into the field to hunt out weigh the negatives I have to think so. Is the RMEF wrong for starting a youth membership this year? As far as I'm concerned we need all the advocates for the sport we can get regardless of their age.

It appears a lot of negative comments are coming out of Montana and I have to assume from reading them a similar change was attempted there. If it wasn't the right choice for Montana thats fine but I support the change in Idaho. My daughter started overnight backpack scouting trips with me at 4 and if she can become proficient with a big game caliber by the time she is 10 I would have a hard time thinking of a better way to spend time with her. Does she need to have a tag to feel involved and enjoy being out with me? No. Should she not have the opportunity because someone somewhere thinks the magic number is 12? No.

"It was the adults with the youth who were putting the youth in bad situations."

From your quote it doesn't sound like the age of the kids had as much to do with the situation as the lack of moral and ethical fortitude of the adults.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoneGriz
Back