Caribou Gear Tarp

Help!-Scope Mounting on AR15-Loctite or Not?

RugerHawg413

Good Evening,
I mounted my first scope on my AR15 with a Vortex cantilever scope mount. I have mounted several scopes on bolt action rifles and have always used blue loctite on the scope bases. But, when I mounted this scope base, I forgot to put it on the base screws on the cantilever mount. Should I go back and put blue loctite on there or not worry about it? I have a hunt coming up in 2 weeks. All info is appreciated! Thank you!!

If you havent sighted in - go get some blue locktite and fix it.

Confidence and peace-of-mind go a long way and it sounds like this might disrupt yours.

Yes, absolutely loctite it if you haven’t sighted yet. The confidence alone is worth the hassle.

ARs can be harder on scopes/mounts depending on the cartridge, ammo, gas system, buffer setup, etc. It’s cheap insurance.

I put myself through college gunsmithing (and delivering papers) and I can say I never had to retorque any screws that had a drop of blue LT. I can’t say the same for “clean” threads.

Yes, absolutely loctite it if you haven’t sighted yet. The confidence alone is worth the hassle.

ARs can be harder on scopes/mounts depending on the cartridge, ammo, gas system, buffer setup, etc. It’s cheap insurance.

I put myself through college gunsmithing (and delivering papers) and I can say I never had to retorque any screws that had a drop of blue LT. I can’t say the same for “clean” threads.
Understood! Great, thank you!

Yes. Always loctite it (blue). Contact cleaner or alcohol to get oil off threads first.

Once a long time ago I bought my first nice scope from a gander mountain. The guy said since I bought it there they'd mount it for free. I thought well alright then (getting crosshairs perfectly square is a PITA). So I brought in my rifle and told the guy to be sure to loctite all the screws. He said they don't use loctite. I turned around and walked out and mounted it myself. I should've known better and never thought about letting someone touch one of my guns since then.

Back