How to ruin a Leupold

If Leupold satisfied the bomb proof requirements they'd be in the same market as S&B Klassik. Is there room there?

Leupold sells scopes people want and will buy. VX3 3.5-10x is a solid buy for most and will do fine if they treat it appropriately.

A corner of the internet is discussing change but I still bet the core market is a long ways from demanding anything different from hunting scope manufacturers. More magnification range, illumination, good glass, and custom turrets - keep laughing their way to the bank. The market isn't going to pay for reliability if they can get the same glass, illum, turrets for less and all their buddies who shoot 20 rounds a year "haven't had an issue in a decade of use".

Gimme an instrument that will high def way out and impact a dialed minute of itty bitty...& also multipurpose as a framing hammer

...take my money.

The Trijicon credo. Comparable price range as a leupold vx5hd maybe a little cheaper than the leupold. To my eyes glass is same. Built like a tank. Tracks reliably. Built one of my shops with it 😜

My experience with Leupold is that the older models are reliable set-it-and-forget-it scopes. The V3Xi, VX3HD and VX5HD I've owned have failed to hold zero and have not dialed reliably. As a matter of fact, I sent those back and sold the new scopes that were sent to me as warranty exchanges. The only Leupold I still have is an older VX2 on my son's rifle. It has been reliable.

I find Zeiss V4's and Trijicons to be much more reliable with equal glass quality.

I find Leupolds to be some of if not the most comfortable, forgiving, functional, and clearest scopes within their price range—whichever price range it is. But they do seem to lose zero, so none of that matters. I still think the VX5 3-15x44 would be the best hunting scope ever made if it was just a little more robust. I still own a couple, but I probably wouldn’t take them on a multi day backpack or fly-in hunt.

Gimme an instrument that will high def way out and impact a dialed minute of itty bitty...& also multipurpose as a framing hammer

...take my money.

I loved the fit/feel/function of my VX-6HD, but I just sold it after reading through too many of Form's tests on Rokslide. Expensive lesson, but at least it didn't cost me an animal.

Switching out slowly to Nightforce.

The Trijicon credo. Comparable price range as a leupold vx5hd maybe a little cheaper than the leupold. To my eyes glass is same. Built like a tank. Tracks reliably. Built one of my shops with it 😜
I've rarely had Leupolds fail, and I don't know how many times I fell with my Mark IV after some of our hunting area burned; snow on ash is slick! An old 2x7 did eventually fail to zero after 35 years, and they fixed it.

Having said that, need a couple of new scopes; looking at Meopta and Swarovski so far. So which Trijicons do you have?

I've rarely had Leupolds fail, and I don't know how many times I fell with my Mark IV after some of our hunting area burned; snow on ash is slick! An old 2x7 did eventually fail to zero after 35 years, and they fixed it.

Having said that, need a couple of new scopes; looking at Meopta and Swarovski so far. So which Trijicons do you have?

I hate banking on rarely. Just lost trust in them. I have Trijicon credo hx I picked up for a ridiculous price earlier this year. Wish I had bought more at the price they were. Hoping there’s some more sales in the next month.

Was helping someone with a VX6 Friday. Zero'd at 100, shot drops dialing the turret out to 1000. Things didn't seem right while doing some positional practice after, when we went back to paper at 100 it was off 3 inches.

Re-zero'd it, mapped the B&C reticle for drops at distance to avoid dialing, and the shooter connected on a bull past 400 using reticle holds the next day.

Most of the rest of my Leupold experience this year has been with Mark 5's, no intensive use but the one's I've seen have behaved for the day or three I've seen them.

All scopes certainly can misbehave or outright fail. I've been there for two Nightforce failures and know of a couple more, and I broke a SWFA myself years back (abusing it, to be fair). And yet, those are the two brands I've ended up with on my rifles. I really like my ZCO, but am in the process of swapping it to a Nightforce for reticle continuity more than anything.

Back