PEAX Equipment

Most definitive way to determine scope failure

Anything can happen but I would be shocked if ARC rings torqued to Ted's recommended specs are the issue.

Swapping the scope in question to another rifle proven to shoot, and swapping another scope to the rifle currently wearing the Leupold seems like a solid method to determine if the Leupold might be the culprit.

You're probably aware of the difference with torque values on the ARC rings compare to typical scope rings? 30 is pretty light for the ARC rings because it is a single larger diameter screw compared to the typical 4 smaller diameter screws so it needs more torque to get similar clamping force.
I understand this and relate it to a skive vs non skive ferrule for hydraulic fittings.

Anything can happen but I would be shocked if ARC rings torqued to Ted's recommended specs are the issue.

Swapping the scope in question to another rifle proven to shoot, and swapping another scope to the rifle currently wearing the Leupold seems like a solid method to determine if the Leupold might be the culprit.
Agree 100%
I have a different 34mm scope inbound and the Loopy boxed up for warranty "evaluation "

No, you read that right. Ted doesn't shy away from offending his customers.

Another post from Ted on a similar thread:
I like Ted.

Last I knew he didn't supply any product to competition shooters, i.e. sponsor them, or give to PRS prize tables. His reason was something like "if you see ARC products on a rifle at a competition, I want you to know that it was such an incredible product that the individual paid his hard earned funds in order to own and use said product." It's too bad that model isn't how the rest of the shooting and hunting world operates.

He's a unique and talented individual!

I like Ted.

Last I knew he didn't supply any product to competition shooters, i.e. sponsor them, or give to PRS prize tables. His reason was something like "if you see ARC products on a rifle at a competition, I want you to know that it was such an incredible product that the individual paid his hard earned funds in order to own and use said product." It's too bad that model isn't how the rest of the shooting and hunting world operates.

He's a unique and talented individual!

I also appreciate his approach, enjoy reading what he has to say, but dont own anything he makes other than a couple sets of rings.

The most definitive way to determine viability of a scope is a scope checker. Most notably the Hood scope checker. The devise mounts 2 scopes side by side, one of which is frozen by glueing the erector tube in place so it can't move. The scope under exam is adjusted to the same point of aim as the frozen scope, and the rifle is fired. If the subject scope is looking at a different point of aim after the shot, it's defective. Google "Hood scope checker" to find images and text on how it works. There's no guessing about the quality of a scope after this test.
I have shot bench rest for many years. Most of the fellows that I shoot with use a scope checker. One of the regulars has one with a frozen 36 T that he lends to others. It takes the shooter and wind conditions out of the mix and just tests the scope.

I have seen some guys at the range (not the old fellows in the bench rest crowd) that blather on blaming the equipment for less than stellar groups. Sometimes it is the scope, the wind, the rifle, the rest, the ammunition, or the trigger operator. The best way to test if it is the scope is to eliminate the other potential causes.

Did you try shooting it……like with a different rifle I’d almost bet if your shot that scope with a different gun it would cause it to fail

All 70 rounds were the Norma tipped Bond Strike long range....... they shot well out of 3 other rifles in the same caliber and make for excellent brass to reload.
Maybe this rifle doesn't like the ammunition?? Try another brand with a different bullet type, weight, etc? If you get similar results, I would blame it on the scope.

The best way to know for sure is to purchase a scope base called a “scope checker”. It mounts to your rifle and has two pic rails. You mount two scopes simultaneously, zero one, then dial the second one to the exact same point as the first one. So when you look through either one they are both on the bullseye. Now start shooting. If both are good, then they will both continue to be aimed at exactly the same location. If the both pairs of crosshairs begin to shift relative to each other, then the good scope is the one that remains at the center of the group. If both are bad, then they will shift relative to each other and relative to the group.

It can be difficult to pick up on small shifts particularly with lower power scopes, two imperfect scopes, and rifle that isn’t extremely accurate. Guys checking multiple scopes for competitive use often purchase a “frozen scope” to use as the known good scope, and they’re using a heavy rifle with a flat fore end in a heavy front rest to shoot the groups. That said, with a frozen scope, any shift of the scope you’re checking indicates failure regardless of the group, so you could definitely do that regardless of the rifle and rest.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back