How to ruin a Leupold

For those of you that feel Leupold quality has deteriorated can you identify a model or year that was the "last good product"? This isn't a challenge, but more a question of what model is quality in holding zero and repeatability. Sort of a pre-64 winchester... what's the pre-64 leupold model(s).

I don't think people are saying the quality has deteriorated but rather that zero retention and tracking has never been particularly impressive by current expectations. I also don't think most folks are saying they are inferior amongst most of their peers in these regards most of the time. Rather, people have come to expect more and are more capable of noticing issues than they had been in the past.

Last edited:
Some ways to minimize unknowns:
--Practice with equipment
--Research equipment
--Prove equipment and skills in different conditions

Like it or not, PRS and modern, informed, volume shooting, gets directly and objectively at the above. There are things to be learned with an open mind; some beneficial, some too minute to matter for even a detail-oriented hunter. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

Those with exposure to a high volume of aiming devices have observed some trends. Some people have directly tested some popular optics. Why this is offensive to a subset of hunters seems peculiar to me, though not surprising.

Edited to add: No need to sell the farm if your stuff is working. More information is a good thing; the outcome of that information can go a lot of useful directions, including no change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh, dammit.
What rings and mounts are you using? I have a Sako V rebuilt to .257 STW , used Talleys. Just got a Sako 85 XS Varmint in .204. Probably put a Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 on it, which I picked up for a ridiculous price. Just assuming it won't hold zero ;)

Thanks much.

What rings and mounts are you using? I have a Sako V rebuilt to .257 STW , used Talleys. Just got a Sako 85 XS Varmint in .204. Probably put a Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 on it, which I picked up for a ridiculous price. Just assuming it won't hold zero ;)

Thanks much.
Leupold Sako rings have worked well for me. Their QR base/rings work great if you ever have a Sako that could use it.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back