Help a Minnesota flatlander out?

outdoorsiets

I have hunted a few different places in wyoming and colorado and have only found one unit i like, and i can only seem to draw a tag every two or three years there. What im looking for is some help picking a unit to hunt as a back up. Not looking for gps coordinates, just a unit number to start looking into.
These are the things the unit needs to have to suit my needs
1 well there just has to be elk in it for real..... lol
2 Must be in one of the following states, wyoming,colorado, or montana
3 must be able to get a tag,either, over the counter or as a leftover after a draw.
4 must be on public land
5 And the most important, must be the type of terrain one can actually glass for elk.

The places i have hunted in the past have all been really dark timber and i have had enough of that type of terrain. I have killed a few elk in that nasty stuff but it hasn't been easy. The one place i found in western wyoming had some dark timber but also offers some open grassy knobs and sparse timbered ridges. The type of landscape a person can set your rifle down and glass for animals. Being from southern minnesota i am used to open fields and spending time glassing, and prefer the spot and stalk type of hunting. If a big 6x6 is the first legal elk in range he will get a free ride to minnesota but then so would any other legal animal that presents the first shot.

Can any one point this flatlander in the right direction?

As a fellow Minnesotan trying to learn elk hunting in the west, I can tell you that your list is the list every non-resident hunter is seeking in an annual elk hunt.

There are an abundance of resources out there and there are actual lists of units out there if you look. I personally have decided that hunting every year does not exactly mean bull hunting every year. My buddy and I from the metro area each got a cow this past season and spent countless hours scouting a zone I would be tickled to draw a bull tag for in the future.

Our spot was in WY and we saw nobody in the woods when we bowhunted september and we saw countless road hunters in December and still punched our tags because no one wanted to hike for them. We shot two cows out of a herd that a resident sitting in his truck was glassing. He said it "wasn't worth it" to pursue them, so we did. 18 hours later we had two elk off the mountain.

I've used the Eastons MRS in the past, but my new favorite is the info from Gohunt. The hunt we found last year was from neither of those resources. I actually just started looking through the leftover tags and did research on those narrowing down a place I want to hunt in. The same can be accomplished using the list of units in the WY general tags.

Hello, from the east metro. Welcome to Hunttalk. The reason that you are not getting a lot of responses is that u are asking the wrong questions. Very few people are gonna list on the internet good public land spots with easy tag draw odds. If you search these forums, BigFin and others have explained the resources available to u to do your own research in finding the right hunt. Randy has started a series of Youtube videos that are very helpful. GoHunt Insider is a great tool. Calling Game Wardens and Wildlife staff in a prospective area is a must. Enjoy the research process. You will learn a lot.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back