Caribou Gear Tarp

Governor Bullock & Randy shoot the...

Guess Greg is not the man he claims to be, gee what a surprise.

There is not a single truth in these articles about Greg & Susan Gianforte suing the FWP to stop access through their property. The law suit was never pursued or even served on the FWP. The issue came up when the FWP had mis-surveyed the legal access. The Gianfortes wanted to have the FWP correct the problem and once the FWP did an on-site inspection, they admitted it was incorrect and they corrected the problem.
The Gianfortes are strong supporters of the stream access law, always have been and always will be. They have never denied access to anyone, even during the negotiations with the FWP over this issue. The articles and post is nothing more than a smear campaign, pure and simple. It doesn't surprise me that the newspapers that posted the article along with Montana Cowgirl Blogs would stoop this low to publish lies like this. See Greg's press release below.

Greg Gianforte's Strong Record on Stream Access

Now my opponents want you to think we’re trying to deny stream access.
Guess what- they are wrong again.
I’m a strong supporter of stream access laws. Susan and I allow stream access, parking on our property, and archery hunting on our land. We often sit by the river after a long day and wave to folks walking along the banks or canoeing downstream.
But now my opponents are falsely claiming we sought to deny access on our property in Bozeman.
This is exactly why we need new leadership in Helena and further, at FWP. In reality, a lawsuit was never pursued against FWP. FWP eventually came to the site after multiple invitations, determined that the survey of the site was incorrect, and updated their records. Together, we were able to resolve the misunderstanding and preserve access to the river.
It’s important to note that we continued welcoming anglers on our property before, during, and after these discussions with FWP.
At no time did we deny access to the river. We continually welcome hunters and anglers to this day.
In the midst of more bad economic news and the governor’s own anti-gun record, the governor is simply trying to distract Montanans with outright lies. Not only does that dog not hunt, he’s barking up the wrong tree.
Come on and down and fish for yourself. The river is, and always has been, open.

Last edited:
So Honest, why did he put up a gate, and post the property right before the suit was filed? I never saw in any document where the department agreed that they had an access point off. They had a legal easement to the property and the Gianfortes filed suit to cancel that. Correct?

There is not a single truth in these articles about Greg & Susan Gianforte suing the FWP to stop access through their property. The law suit was never pursued or even served on the FWP. The issue came up when the FWP had mis-surveyed the legal access. The Gianfortes wanted to have the FWP correct the problem and once the FWP did an on-site inspection, they admitted it was incorrect and they corrected the problem.
The Gianfortes are strong supporters of the stream access law, always have been and always will be. They have never denied access to anyone, even during the negotiations with the FWP over this issue. The articles and post is nothing more than a smear campaign, pure and simple. It doesn't surprise me that the newspapers that posted the article along with Montana Cowgirl Blogs would stoop this low to publish lies like this. See Greg's press release below.

I’m a strong supporter of stream access laws. Susan and I allow stream access, parking on our property, and archery hunting on our land. We often sit by the river after a long day and wave to folks walking along the banks or canoeing downstream.
But now my opponents are falsely claiming we sought to deny access on our property in Bozeman.
This is exactly why we need new leadership in Helena and further, at FWP. In reality, a lawsuit was never pursued against FWP. FWP eventually came to the site after multiple invitations, determined that the survey of the site was incorrect, and updated their records. Together, we were able to resolve the misunderstanding and preserve access to the river.
It’s important to note that we continued welcoming anglers on our property before, during, and after these discussions with FWP.
At no time did we deny access to the river. We continually welcome hunters and anglers to this day.
In the midst of more bad economic news and the governor’s own anti-gun record, the governor is simply trying to distract Montanans with outright lies. Not only does that dog not hunt, he’s barking up the wrong tree.
Come on and down and fish for yourself. The river is, and always has been, open.

Exactly why we need new leadership at FWP? More bad economic news? Governors own anti-gun record? Talk about outright lies and BS.

Here's the original article from 2009.
http://www.bozemandailychronicle.co...cle_577997e7-dc27-5115-beb4-3cf97e92449d.html

Because several people owned the property when the easement was inked in 1993, and only one of the owners, David H. Manley, signed off on it, the transaction was not legal, East Gallatin LLC attorneys argue in the suit filed in District Court on May 21.

There are several other points to access the river in that area, said Art Wittich, the Bozeman attorney representing East Gallatin. So the easement is not necessary for public recreation needs, and, he said, his client’s property is being harmed by public wear and tear.

The suit was filed and they were making arguments that the easement should be removed...

Last edited:
The Gianfortes never disputed the easement only that the boundary was located in the wrong place. They had to sue because the FWP would not come out to the site to address the issue. Once the FWP finally did come out to the site they admitted that the boundary was mismarked and they correct it. The suit was never served on the FWP.
The main point here is, whether you want to believe it or not, is that the Gianfortes have never denied anyone access through their land, even while they were attempting to resolve this issue. Greg strongly supports the stream access law (period). The gate or more like a barrier was put up to keep people from getting off the easement, which was causing some bank erosion and other problems. The original posting by the Cowgirl Blogs was nothing more than a smear against Greg.

Read a more accurate reporting of the mat
http://billingsgazette.com/news/gov...cle_951b0234-304c-5570-b90e-83e92fb8c976.html

1.) FWP asked Gianforte to remove the locked gate & intimidating signs. Sounds like they denied access right there. In the lawsuit, Art Wittich claims that there are plenty of other places to access the river, and this one is not needed. Which intones their intent to deny access across the easement.

2.) After FWP asked Gianforte to stop illegally blocking access and intimidating anglers, whom we now know is a convicted campaign finance law violator, sued FWP to vacate the easement. Not resolve the dispute - vacate the easement. Meaning the entire easement would be given up. That is what they sued FWP over. They didn't sue FWP for resolution to a dispute over where the easement was, they sued to eliminate the easement altogether.

3.) FWP made two recommendations - Gianforte accepted the one that he wanted. FWP led the effort to resolve the issue. Not Gianforte. The easement still stands and has not been changed, meaning that either Gianfortes really did want to shut down access and lost in terms of terminating the easement because their lawsuit was weak, or that the easement really does no harm to the property. It's a 1 acre easement, granted because FWP allowed landowners to run utilities across the Cherry River FAS. Gianforte bought that property sometime around 2008 to add to his holdings, and discovered that the easement existed and they didn't like it. If it walks like a rich dude trying to eliminate access for his own private kingdom, and it talks like a rich dude trying to eliminate access for his own private kingdom, then it is a rich dude trying to eliminate access.

1.) FWP asked Gianforte to remove the locked gate & intimidating signs. Sounds like they denied access right there. In the lawsuit, Art Wittich claims that there are plenty of other places to access the river, and this one is not needed. Which intones their intent to deny access across the easement.

2.) After FWP asked Gianforte to stop illegally blocking access and intimidating anglers, whom we now know is a convicted campaign finance law violator, sued FWP to vacate the easement. Not resolve the dispute - vacate the easement. Meaning the entire easement would be given up. That is what they sued FWP over. They didn't sue FWP for resolution to a dispute over where the easement was, they sued to eliminate the easement altogether.

3.) FWP made two recommendations - Gianforte accepted the one that he wanted. FWP led the effort to resolve the issue. Not Gianforte. The easement still stands and has not been changed, meaning that either Gianfortes really did want to shut down access and lost in terms of terminating the easement because their lawsuit was weak, or that the easement really does no harm to the property. It's a 1 acre easement, granted because FWP allowed landowners to run utilities across the Cherry River FAS. Gianforte bought that property sometime around 2008 to add to his holdings, and discovered that the easement existed and they didn't like it. If it walks like a rich dude trying to eliminate access for his own private kingdom, and it talks like a rich dude trying to eliminate access for his own private kingdom, then it is a rich dude trying to eliminate access.

Bingo! I totally agree.

This raises some big questions about Gianforte, but there is no question about Wittich; his record on hunting/fishing issues is dismal. Wittich will be elected or defeated in the June 7th primary election for HD 68.

I met with his Republican opponent yesterday, Bruce Grubbs, and he is a thoughtful guy not run by ideology. He kayaks and understands the stream access issues. He hunts on block management and public lands. He opposes the transfer of federal land to the states, saying we can't afford it.

Even if Wittich is removed from office because of his conviction of illegally collaborating with the dark money group, that will be after the primary, and the nominating committee is made up of people who will replace him with someone just as bad.

It is extremely important that hunters/fishermen register now and vote in the June 7th primary in all districts, but especially HD 68. This is a conservative district and by the time the general election comes around this race will have been decided. Generally HD 68 is the area south of I-90 to Hulbert Lane, from Bozeman to the Gallatin River. A map is here. If you live there, vote for republican Grubbs in the primary. If you know someone who lives there talk them into voting for him.

rg

This and other issues are why me and my family will be voting Bullock...Greg does not seem sincere and I don't trust the guy.

Greg also thinks that our forest cannot support the elk population we have now. Just goes to show that polititions can't hardley tell their a$$ from a hole in the ground. No sportsman should vote for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back