NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Garmin Oregon 450 & Hunting GPS Maps

My father had an older etrex of some sort.

This is how the day went.

Did you mark the trailhead?
Yes.
Show me.
It's not there.
Did you let the GPS get hooked up first?
I don't know. I hate all this paging through.
Well you didn't mark the trailhead.
Crap.

Last edited:
With 450

Hey
yeah
We are 3.5 miles from the trailhead, we better get going.
To bad old man you gonna be hiking in the dark!

I have that exact combo and love it. Batt life seems pretty good I messed around with mine on a 3 day camping trip off and on and for the following week during work before I had to change mine a while ago. My one gripe is that the screen could be brighter. It is bright enough to use just fine I just like bright lights on my electronics....?

There are much more spendier units out there as we all know but this one does the trick for me.

I love mine it dosnt have a bunch of confusing buttons.The touch screen is great battery life isnt good when using alkalines but is great with lithiums.The lithiums are the only battery to go with if you get this unit.The hunting maps work great with it also.

I also have this exact combo and love it. I use it for big game, upland game, soft water and ice fishing. I have some additional software called GPSBabel http://www.gpsbabel.org/ that I use to convert my Garmin data between the Basemap software and Google Earth. It works pretty slick. I can't think of a better combination. I love the touch screen, very intuitive.

I usually will go through a half battery to three quarters batter life on a full day. It's not like your using it constantly. If you dim down the screen and put the screen on auto shut off after so many seconds it will easily improve your battery life.

I usually will go through a half battery to three quarters batter life on a full day. It's not like your using it constantly. If you dim down the screen and put the screen on auto shut off after so many seconds it will easily improve your battery life.

I use it close to constantly, and I generally will have it on for 6-8 hours a day. I can usually get at least 2 full days from alkalines out of my old 60 and new 62. That's the main reason I bought the 62...because of the comparably dismal battery life reported for the Oregon.

As the days go by I regret my decision more and more.

I have the same combination also love it. I agree get lithium batteries and also set your screen brightness down low enough to see it okay it will save a lot of your battery life if you do that. But awesome GPS and map system in my book.

Glad we are back to this.
I searched for an issue that came up regarding tracks and couldn't find it. My BIL brought his Oregon (IIRC 400T) to our family reunion and has problems starting a new track over. Am I making any sense? Thought sure somebody had an issue with this and this guy is NO dummy. I have an ooolder Etrex HC and it has never let me down, but was sure fun messing with the touch screen on his new fangled one.

Glad we are back to this.
I searched for an issue that came up regarding tracks and couldn't find it. My BIL brought his Oregon (IIRC 400T) to our family reunion and has problems starting a new track over. Am I making any sense? Thought sure somebody had an issue with this and this guy is NO dummy. I have an ooolder Etrex HC and it has never let me down, but was sure fun messing with the touch screen on his new fangledw one.

Need to restate. Not sure what "starting a new track over" means. But game to try to help. Been using a 400t for a few years.

Thanks KH! Will try to get a hold of him tomorrow and get a better clarification so I don't sound so dumb.
Sure was fun playing with it tho.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back