MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Who's been to Iowa?

wvhunter304

Just bought my fourth point. I think it's time to get somewhat serious about going.

Who's been? What were your results? What was unexpected that happened? Did the hunt live up to the hype?

Any best season to hunt? Must haves?

Thank you.

I've got my first trip booked for this fall, firearms hunting.
Can't speak with any experience, but looking forward to it.

I probably wouldn’t recommend shotgun season unless you are going with a group or have a dedicated property to hunt.

Most shotgun hunting in Iowa is done by large groups doing deer drives. It can be a great time if you are part of a group, but could ruin your hunt if you plan to sit and hunt food sources or something. Archery or Late muzzleloader are good hunts.

I’ve hunted Iowa archery twice. Different experiences from eachother. Granted, both experiences were fun/exciting and I am grateful to be able to hunt the farms we hunt.

First year was 2017, unbelievable. It was what you dream of when talking about Iowa. Quality bucks after bucks. I notched my tag on the third day and I was hesitant just because the amount of good bucks I saw. I had 150-155” 10pt around me all night, he got spooked and took off. Next thing I know a big frame deer is headed my direction, he got to 15 yds and I still don’t have my bow in hand because I wasn’t sure. I saw a second main beam, split G2 and tines for days. I honestly had to talk myself into it. He gave me a good shot and rest is history. Scored 169”

Drew same tag in 2022 and the quality/age class of deer wasn’t there like 2017. EHD hit that area hard two times since and you could see the missing age classes. Hunted same spots/areas/trees and we hunted hard. Out of 3 guys we managed to shoot deer, but not the type of deer we did in 2017.

We get full range of 8 farms 2000+ acres and to our knowledge the only archery hunters that hunt them. The farmer hunts them every year shotgun for two days and they shoot anything.

I can’t wait to go back to Iowa and I do believe that it’s worth the wait. Literally a true giant (200”+) could step out at anytime. Out of all the whitetail states I hunt/hunted, Iowa still holds the #1 spot for me.

I lived in Des Moines for five years. I don’t have any hunting recommendations but I do recommend the loose meat sandwiches at Maid-Rite and the tenderloin sandwich at the Machine Shed. Also the Iowa chop pork chops on the grill.

I just heard they are cutting back or cutting out nonresident hunters. ??
The number of anysex tags will be the same. They are no longer allowing party hunting for nonresidents during gun seasons so most feel that will cut down on nonresidents who buy a doe tag to be legal and not have to draw but rely on a resident family member or group member to tag a buck if they get one.

There is also movement on trail cameras on public land and leaving anything overnight on public according to a few sources.

The number of anysex tags will be the same. They are no longer allowing party hunting for nonresidents during gun seasons so most feel that will cut down on nonresidents who buy a doe tag to be legal and not have to draw but rely on a resident family member or group member to tag a buck if they get one.

There is also movement on trail cameras on public land and leaving anything overnight on public according to a few sources.
Damn…I guess Im officially done hunting Iowa. I usually bought a doe tag just to participate in the family hunt.

I understand the reasoning for the change, but there were very few people actually doing what I was doing. There weren’t many doe tags anyway and they weren’t selling out.

Oh well, saves me some money.

Was this done via legislation or commission? Id just like to read the new verbiage.

Damn…I guess Im officially done hunting Iowa. I usually bought a doe tag just to participate in the family hunt.

I understand the reasoning for the change, but there were very few people actually doing what I was doing. There weren’t many doe tags anyway and they weren’t selling out.

Oh well, saves me some money.
We have a few people who hunt in our group who purchase a non-resident doe tag to participate as well. I do not know if it will affect their participation as they rarely shoot a buck or a doe.
I read somewhere that the DNR thought Outfitters were allowing clients to party hunt by purchasing a doe tag and thus circumnavigating the draw process.

Good luck! Iowa resident here- have realistic expectations as there isn't a "booner behind every tree" but can have great opportunities at a mature buck on either public or private. if going gun season id try for one of the muzzleloader draws- if you have a green food source id choose early (edited to residents only for early muzzy). if you have ag food options id, choose late muzzy and hope for bitter cold. Otherwise archery is always a great time!

Last edited:
Good luck! Iowa resident here- have realistic expectations as there isn't a "booner behind every tree" but can have great opportunities at a mature buck on either public or private. if going gun season id try for one of the muzzleloader draws- if you have a green food source id choose early. if you have ag food options id, choose late muzzy and hope for bitter cold. Otherwise archery is always a great time!

Early muzzleloader is for residents only.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back