Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Fly Tying/Fishing Thread

I tie a similar fly to Hem but do Matuka style to save weight so it casts better with a 5-6 wt rod. The collar with a strip gives the illusion of a big head with skinnier body like a sculpin.

Rather than a picture I’ll post instructions that I drew before the turn of the century. Where did the time go?
View attachment 314854
Good work @RobG . Yeah, I use a 8 wght rod to fish those dumbell flies.

How did you fasten the tail over the body?
I tie in a piece of wire out the back under the dubbing, and wrap it through the squirrel strip up to the head. I just used black wire on these so it’s difficult to see.

The Horn was cold and the fish were pretty lethargic most of the day. I did get 2 19-inchers, including one on my first cast of the day, but they were really skinny, spawned out females. Eyelets stayed frozen until about noon. Fish were tough to come by. Between a buddy and I, we hooked about a dozen fish and landed about half that. Also caught the biggest, stunted 14-incher I’ve ever caught. Didn’t see another boat or fisherman though so that was awesome. My boat held air and my waders only leaked a little, overall pretty good day.

IMG_4265.jpeg
IMG_4269.jpeg

I'm selling this Montana Rod Box. Bought it from a friend but decided I don't want/need it.
The keys were misplaced by the previous owner so it needs new locks, otherwise in good condition. It has been painted.
$300.00 cash. Local sale preferred but will consider arrangements for any member passing through.20240212_101817.jpg20240212_101702.jpg

I’m also a big fan of John Barr’s slumpbuster, although I tie mine with an ice dub body. Pine squirrel strips are a great material. Black, olive, and rust.

View attachment 315071
View attachment 315072
Great fly all around. I make little mini slump busters on nymph hooks down to like size 12, using just enough non-lead wrap under a body of carded sparkle braid to make them sink some. This way I can switch over quickly without changing leaders to double check my work on a section of river if prospecting with dry flies didn't turn anything up.

Great fly all around. I make little mini slump busters on nymph hooks down to like size 12, using just enough non-lead wrap under a body of carded sparkle braid to make them sink some. This way I can switch over quickly without changing leaders to double check my work on a section of river if prospecting with dry flies didn't turn anything up.
Yeah, I'm thinking I might experiment with this pattern in smaller sizes for the lake fishing I do.

I'm selling this Montana Rod Box. Bought it from a friend but decided I don't want/need it.
The keys were misplaced by the previous owner so it needs new locks, otherwise in good condition. It has been painted.
$300.00 cash. Local sale preferred but will consider arrangements for any member passing through.View attachment 315324View attachment 315325
Will it fit 10-10.5’ rods? Where would a guy go to get new locks on it?

The Horn was cold and the fish were pretty lethargic most of the day. I did get 2 19-inchers, including one on my first cast of the day, but they were really skinny, spawned out females. Eyelets stayed frozen until about noon. Fish were tough to come by. Between a buddy and I, we hooked about a dozen fish and landed about half that. Also caught the biggest, stunted 14-incher I’ve ever caught. Didn’t see another boat or fisherman though so that was awesome. My boat held air and my waders only leaked a little, overall pretty good day.

View attachment 315143
View attachment 315146
Nice work. I love the color of the browns in that river.

Will it fit 10-10.5’ rods? Where would a guy go to get new locks on it?
Pretty certain it won't fit 10' rods...but I'll double check. I believe replacement locks can be purchased through the company. If it becomes a problem in order to sell I thought of putting new ones in myself but I'm trying to keep the price point down.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back