Finally, maybe, the sheeple will see the truth about Les Stroud

SFC B

On many outdoor forums I know there is an ongoing discussion of which "survival" reality stars are favs and more true to life experts. I will say up front that I am a Bear Grylls guy and it is largely to do with his SOF background. While I know the limitations of his show I also know his military pedigree and his outdoor and mountaineering pedigree. Les Stroud has always rubbed me the wrong way. I know his trail from a failed musician (as evidenced by that DAMNED harmonica) to going to a Canadian outdoor school to poof!!....he's an expert. I don't like his tone or his demeanor. Well, last night he finally went off the plot and showed the world his true colors.....TWO HOURS OF SHOWS ON BIGFOOT HUNTING in Alberta. Holy Christmas trees!! I can't believe that even he would go down that path......hopefully that is the beginning of the end of seeing him on tv anymore :)

I much prefer Stroud over Bear as Bear is like the Guy Fierra of the survival world. Over the top, sensational, takes too many risks, self promotes too much...and well was proven on multiple occasions he wasn't really "surviving" Seems like he is full of himself.

Les seemed more genuine without and agenda. That said, when I saw the bigfoot episodes I was like WTF?

I'll take Les over Bear any day in terms of a "survival" show and guide, as well as the effort they put into their show.

That said, the bigfoot episode was uncomfortable to watch.
"You see this tree? NOTHING, could have broken it up this high. Not the wind. Not the snow. Not another tree. Not a Human."

But, a nine foot tall biped, that has eluded every hunter, trail camera, hound, and airplane to ever enter the bush, that is also covered in hair and has terrible hygiene issues?

You bet.

Then again. Everybody knows and probably cares for somebody who holds a fringe belief, sometimes ourselves.

Not a Grylls fan at all and I won't buy any of his crappy knives at Wal-mart either. :W: Over dramatizes his stuff and tries to be too cool for school. :cool:

If Les was out hunting for Big Foot……his creditability is gonna take a hit over it I would think. Didn't see it though. I'll put it on my not-to-do list for when I get home. :eek:

On many outdoor forums I know there is an ongoing discussion of which "survival" reality stars are favs and more true to life experts. I will say up front that I am a Bear Grylls guy and it is largely to do with his SOF background. While I know the limitations of his show I also know his military pedigree and his outdoor and mountaineering pedigree. Les Stroud has always rubbed me the wrong way. I know his trail from a failed musician (as evidenced by that DAMNED harmonica) to going to a Canadian outdoor school to poof!!....he's an expert. I don't like his tone or his demeanor. Well, last night he finally went off the plot and showed the world his true colors.....TWO HOURS OF SHOWS ON BIGFOOT HUNTING in Alberta. Holy Christmas trees!! I can't believe that even he would go down that path......hopefully that is the beginning of the end of seeing him on tv anymore :)
:D

After your recent post on lighted nocks no one will ever agree with you!

I enjoy having the survival shows on as noise in the background and then a couple of times each show I pay attention when is a cool technique I might use someday. Seeing the different eco-systems is more interesting to me than the "struggle" faced by Bear or Les, etc. Most of survival is paced drudgery rather than adrenaline-pumping action.

Grylls is a drama queen 100%. It's obvious in his shows that he is simply trying to shock you with his actions instead of teaching. I enjoy watching Les but did notice the episode about finding bigfoot and was disappointed he would do that. I simply don't understand the people who watch the "finding bigfoot" shows. Bunch of idiots running around claiming the noise they heard was a "squach".

Attachments

• 1265527910001_2857044666001_1385047409988DMAX-ESCAPE-FROM-HELL-PROMO.jpg
    1265527910001_2857044666001_1385047409988DMAX-ESCAPE-FROM-HELL-PROMO.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 903
Grylls is a drama queen 100%. It's obvious in his shows that he is simply trying to shock you with his actions instead of teaching. I enjoy watching Les but did notice the episode about finding bigfoot and was disappointed he would do that. I simply don't understand the people who watch the "finding bigfoot" shows. Bunch of idiots running around claiming the noise they heard was a "squach".

I will say that BG shows are more"dramatic" but I would lay that to production style. While a good deal of his scenarios are extreme he does have the skills to back it up. LS's outdoor "persona" is totally contrived after having failed in the music business. Him even being known to the media is all of his own doing. Take a look at what each has done (see below) and it is pretty obvious who has an actual expert level skill set. I watched just enough of his Bigfoot is REAL!! show to know that I would never go into the woods with that nut job....it is really showing his self promoting colors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Grylls
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Stroud

:D

After your recent post on lighted nocks no one will ever agree with you!

That's ok, I will make my stand with an SAS soldier over a half-assed Canadian wanna be any day. Didn't see BG having claimed to have been in contact with a Yeti when HE climbed Everest, did ya? :hump:

SFC, what about Dual Survival? ;)

I like to see the difference in styles. It is contrived to some degree to and the mil guy is a little much sometimes but I like the contrast. If nothing else I watch these shows for the locations :)

I'd watch Guy Fierra over either one of them. I'm more likely to have need of a good diner or dive, than I am to need to eat a raw eyeball out of yak, or drink my own urine.

I like the ugly women all covered in crap and smelling like rotten tuna on Naked and Afraid. I am amazed that more people have not died on that moronic show.

I have a problem with all of the survival crap, no matter who it is. They are supposedly out there on their last legs with a frick'n camera watching them. Spare me! It is all a pile of crap and anybody that buys off on them probably could be led to believe that Obamacare is good for everybody!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back