MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Esther

Keep that dang car and cherish it. I have my grandpas Remington .270 and his pocket knife that gutted and skinned my first deer when I was 10.

He was loved fiercely by all 7 of his grandkids and we all have something.

Think about him everyday. Some people just have that positive impact on your life that never leaves.

Keep that dang car and cherish it. I have my grandpas Remington .270 and his pocket knife that gutted and skinned my first deer when I was 10.

He was loved fiercely by all 7 of his grandkids and we all have something.

Think about him everyday. Some people just have that positive impact on your life that never leaves.
Same. Luckily I have that sentiment for BOTH of my grandfathers.

What a great read.

People from that Era were tough. My wife's grandparents grew up in the Depression. It completely affected the way they approached things. My wife has a pair of tops cut off a pair of leather boots from them. If the bottoms were worn out they were not going to let the tops, which were still in good shape, go to waste. Those boot tops sit in our living room, and I can't help but be reminded when I see them that we live pretty cushy lives.

Her grandpa passed a couple years ago, but her grandma is still alive, and in her upper 90s. My life is richer for having known them.

My paternal grandmother raised 8 kids pretty much alone...5 boys all served during thick conflict (WWII & Korea)...She lost a female child at birth & lost a son in a auto accident weeks after returning from the worst in the Pacific theatre. Another young daughter to cancer. She never drove a car & the closest thing to an expletive I ever heard her use was, "I'll be swanny." She never spoke ill of another person that I witnessed, a virtue every person who knew her spoke of. She went (walked) to a church every Sunday that allowed no instrumental embellishment for hymnals, and sang as loud as anyone...off key. Made the strongest coffee I've ever drank but was the best cook ever. Lived in a tiny apartment with no complaints.

When I let myself participate in petty failures of character, which is often, I think of her and feel ashamed.

Love the detail on keeping "Esther" from getting scratched (towel under the skull, plastic bottles on the tines and moving the straps inside the weather-stripping).

I too had a Norwegian grandmother, who in her later days was fighting Alzheimer's - and reverted back to speaking Norwegian (which was real tough because no living relatives at the time spoke it well). She was a master of krumkakka, lefse and the dreaded lutefisk. Thanks for spurring all of those memories to the front of my mind today.

Lovely tribute and congrats on a great hunt.

So will Ester get permanent plates after a successful hunting season?

Good job Kurt!

Esther brought you some serious mo-jo this year!

Last edited:
Heck ya Kurt!! Congrats on the nice bull and the tribute to Ester is awesome.
What bullet did you end up using this year?

just for the record, you absolutely can chain up the front tires of a buick lesabre. we had one for years and they are tank cars.
I figured you can. I tried to download the manual to screenshot where it talked about using chains but my phone was being dumb. before everyone had a 4wd truck they would chain up cars regularly.

Kurt, congrats on a great bull and I absolutely loved the story behind it! Who needs 4-wheel drive when our legs can still get us to where we want to go!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back